IGNORED

TCI repair SUCCESS, sort of..

OK L&G, I switched number one and two coil, and spark plug wires, but the problem stayed with number two cylinder. This would imply to me that the coil is fine, it's something other then the coil that is failing. Can I test the pick up coil while it's in operation? Is there any chance the pick up coil is failing and that's what's causing the signal to the TCI to stop causing power to the coil to be cut off?

I've asked about the transistor which could be the component causing the power to cut on and off to the coil. Does anybody know how to get a replacement? I'll wait for you all to respond. But, I'm also considering resoldering the transistor to the board to see if maybe I just didn't solder it well enough.

Anything else?

( But, I'm also considering resoldering the transistor to the board to see if maybe I just didn't solder it well enough.

Anything else?)

Suggestion:?:

Go back to the beginning. Your problem started after re-soldering the board. Everything else is not germane to the discussion (although great ideas) until you've checked your solder joints. Once you've gone through and re-soldered the already re-soldered joints(on #2 cylinder area)...if the problem persists... then either you damaged something in the TCI in original soldering (possible) or something else failed at this point in time.(unlikely)

My .02 cents worth...I'm following this as I may be in your shoes someday. My TCI is original but bikes runs great so I'm not touching that sucker!

*****UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE*****

ok, so in lieu of no other ideas, I went ahead with resoldering select connections. I don't know why, BUT, I've gotten the RPMs down to about 700 RPMs before the #2 cylinder drops out. So, I'm gonna put the bike back together, I've got wires rerouted all over, and run it on the road this weekend. HOPEFULLY, it will still develop proper power at higher RPMs. I'm still open to suggestions on what could be going on or what I could test, but for now I'll leave it as is, button up the TCI box, reattach it and go for a test ride.

On an even more positive note, in past threads I reported that #2 and #3 cylinders didn't want to warm up properly at idle. Well, now their immediately getting warm and I believe it's idling better. I'm thinking I messed something up AND I fixed some connections with my exploratory surgery. Ultimately, as of now, I'm thinking things are better. I'll know better after I get it back on the road.

Sounds like progress to me. Even if you don't know exactly what you fixed.:thumbsup:

Back when I had my electrical gremlin that would shut off the engine while cruising down the highway, I ended up finding 3 things that each could have been my whole problem, but because I fixed all 3 at once, I'll never know which one was the real problem. I really do not care which it was as long as it stays fixed.