IGNORED

please compare RSV to 2013 Road Glide Ultra

friesman

I am looking at a 2013 road glide ultra as its seems to be a good price and in perfect shape with almost no kms on it. I have missed the fixed fairing on my 85 Venture since ive sold her a few years ago and think I would like to go back to that setup. I was wondering if there are any major "gotchas" that i should look for when I look at the bike, and I would also like to know of any things about the bike you dont like about the Road Glide.

Another issue for me is last summer i had some minor mechanical issues on my RSV and I had issues getting parts in to where I was in a timeley manner, so I thought that HD might be better at that with their large dealer network. our Yamaha dealers around here arent people I would buy anything from so my hand is forced if i buy another bike.

thks in advance for your time and help,

Brian

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian, go for it!

While I love my Victory, I still drool over the Harley, especially with all the changes they've made recently. I saw an 2015 Electra Glide Limited (used with less than 3,000 kms) advertised yesterday and I tell ya, I'm struggling with myself to buy it and sell off my Vic and the Roadie. The price is several grand less than new and my 2 bikes would almost break even. I think I mostly fear what Nina will do to me LMAO!

Indeed, those Road Glides are GORGEOUS scoots!! Harley has really put their best foot forward in refining that 110" motor by finishing the task of getting the oil pump and cam chain tensioner problems that plagued the early twin cams ironed out long before 2013 too so you should be safe there.. I TOTALLY get your point about the HD dealership network too Frie's, no doubt about it, they are second to none when it comes to available service shops.:bowdown::thumbsup:

Thinking about your question a little deeper, I noticed you are located in California? The only issue that popped into my mind when I noticed that was the issue of how warm those air cooled Harley's run. Tip, Tweeks (our 83 Venture) and I took a trip with some very good friends on their 2010 Ultra down to the Dragon one time. We got caught in a small traffic jam down yonder and had to idle slowly as traffic crawled along at a very slow pace for 15 or 20 miles. Later in that ride, my buddy told me that the heat from their bike almost made that part of the journey pretty miserable. I only bring this up cause some of my experience of riding in your state involves a considerable amount of patiently waiting for traffic to get moving again and the Harley heat issues may be something you would want to consider.:happy34:

All the best in what ever direction you decide to go Frie's!:thumbsup:

I'm half considering selling mine. This is NOT an attempt to get you to buy it because first of all, I'm still undecided and secondly, the exchange rate would very likely make it unattractive to you. I absolutely love the bike but to be honest, Eileen and I are just not riding like we used to. I am not going to quit riding but could get by with a bike that I have a lot less money invested in. Been kicking it around for a while now and even went so far as to list it on Craigslist a few months ago but ended up removing it shortly after posting it.

Brian, I am going to just throw in my 2 cents as I went from am RSV to a Harley Ultra Classic and now I'm back on an RSV. I realize you're talking about a road glide but they are essentially the same bike except for the fairing.

-You are a bigger guy so I think you'll be cramped. I found it very cramped and uncomfortable as did my wife and we are not big people.

-I found the ride quality poor compared to the RSV but the harley was easier to handle and was more nimble.

-Reliability the RSV wins hands down. Maybe I got a lemon but my harley left us stranded more than once and in some terrible places, I spent close to $5000 on repairs to that bike in 2 years after the warranty expired. As you know I ride some big miles and it just didn't cut it for me.

-They run hot! I could never get mine to run even remotely cool no matter how much tuning I did.

Please don't be offended on my comments, I am just stating a few things that really bugged me about that bike. IF I could do it all over again, I would have rented one for a long weekend and do a big ride, that would have been enough to change my mind...

I agree that the absolute only difference is the fairing. From the fairing back, they are the exact same bike. My experience has been exactly opposite of yours in a lot of ways though. Now granted my bike only has about 9,000 miles on it but other than the first service, it has never been back tot he shop for any reason at all. I've not had a single problem with it. As for comfort, it's the only bike that I've ridden that I feel is as comfortable and gives me as much room as my RSV did. Eileen tells me that it is more comfortable for her than the RSV was. A bit part of that is likely because just after buying it, I added a KuryAkyn trunk slider that allows the trunk to be slid forward and back. It is probably slid back about 2". I have it setup about the same as the RSV in regards to highway pegs, handlebars, etc. and find it fits my 6'3" height very well.

I absolutely agree with you that they run hot. It's not a big deal as long as you are moving down the highway but get stuck somewhere in traffic and the heat is brutal. I've installed a head pipe without the catalytic convertor, free flowing Vance and Hines mufflers and a DynoVision PowerTuner. Those things helped a little but the simple fact is, it still gets HOT.

I have been please with the ride quality and more than pleased with the handling.

I don't think that anybody should be offended by your remarks. We should consider all reviews and reports when thinking about a different bike but in the end, the important thing is to get in a good test ride.

HI Brett

I am not offended at all, in fact i appreciate the honesty. I seemed to have as much space as on my RSV when I sat on it and took it for a quick trip through a warehouse. I noticed that the passenger area is smaller but I am not sitting there it doesnt bother me..:)

Brian, I am going to just throw in my 2 cents as I went from am RSV to a Harley Ultra Classic and now I'm back on an RSV. I realize you're talking about a road glide but they are essentially the same bike except for the fairing. What year Roadie did you have?

-You are a bigger guy so I think you'll be cramped. I found it very cramped and uncomfortable as did my wife and we are not big people.

-I found the ride quality poor compared to the RSV but the harley was easier to handle and was more nimble.

-Reliability the RSV wins hands down. Maybe I got a lemon but my harley left us stranded more than once and in some terrible places, I spent close to $5000 on repairs to that bike in 2 years after the warranty expired. As you know I ride some big miles and it just didn't cut it for me.

-They run hot! I could never get mine to run even remotely cool no matter how much tuning I did.

Please don't be offended on my comments, I am just stating a few things that really bugged me about that bike. IF I could do it all over again, I would have rented one for a long weekend and do a big ride, that would have been enough to change my mind...

yeah the exchange rate makes it almost impossible for a Canadian to buy a U.S. bike for a good price any more. When 10000 US price tage become about 15000CDN its hard to even look anywhere but Canada. I got what I think is a good deal on a 2013 Road Glide Ultra that has under6000 miles on it. plus they are including 3 more years of warranty.

Brian

I'm half considering selling mine. This is NOT an attempt to get you to buy it because first of all, I'm still undecided and secondly, the exchange rate would very likely make it unattractive to you. I absolutely love the bike but to be honest, Eileen and I are just not riding like we used to. I am not going to quit riding but could get by with a bike that I have a lot less money invested in. Been kicking it around for a while now and even went so far as to list it on Craigslist a few months ago but ended up removing it shortly after posting it.

Indeed, those Road Glides are GORGEOUS scoots!! Harley has really put their best foot forward in refining that 110" motor by finishing the task of getting the oil pump and cam chain tensioner problems that plagued the early twin cams ironed out long before 2013 too so you should be safe there.. I TOTALLY get your point about the HD dealership network too Frie's, no doubt about it, they are second to none when it comes to available service shops.:bowdown::thumbsup:

Thinking about your question a little deeper, I noticed you are located in California? The only issue that popped into my mind when I noticed that was the issue of how warm those air cooled Harley's run. Tip, Tweeks (our 83 Venture) and I took a trip with some very good friends on their 2010 Ultra down to the Dragon one time. We got caught in a small traffic jam down yonder and had to idle slowly as traffic crawled along at a very slow pace for 15 or 20 miles. Later in that ride, my buddy told me that the heat from their bike almost made that part of the journey pretty miserable. I only bring this up cause some of my experience of riding in your state involves a considerable amount of patiently waiting for traffic to get moving again and the Harley heat issues may be something you would want to consider.:happy34:

All the best in what ever direction you decide to go Frie's!:thumbsup:

Friesman lives in central Canada ... Saskatchewan to be specific ... lots of sun but not so much heat (they tend to ride to British Columbia for that LOL :stickpoke: @friesman )

:doh: Now your beginning to understand why folks who have actually suffered the trauma of trying to get somewhere by following me do a lot of this = :confused24: :rotf:!! Sorry about that Frie's:hihi:

Could not agree more with the idea of renting, or even hooking up with a couple of demo rides, before purchasing if you aren't to familiar with the Harley line.

Have to say I am with cowpuc on this. Rent one for a couple od days or a short trip. That will take a lot of the worry out of buying. A friend I ride with has a 2013. He loves it. But he has had some costly issues with it including an engine rebuild. These don't phase him. He loves the bike. His is the 110 Screaming Eagle. Power wise it seems comparable to my Venture with the V-max gears. It does seem more nimble and has all of the bells and whistles.

Mike

yeah the exchange rate makes it almost impossible for a Canadian to buy a U.S. bike for a good price any more. When 10000 US price tage become about 15000CDN its hard to even look anywhere but Canada. I got what I think is a good deal on a 2013 Road Glide Ultra that has under6000 miles on it. plus they are including 3 more years of warranty.

Brian

Well that post makes it sound like you bought one already. I know it can't be true those because I don't see any pictures. :witch_brew:

RoadGlide010.jpgRoadGlide010.jpgheres a pic its all I have as its back in storage until things warm up around here.. I am impressed with the fit and the finish and I think i got a pretty good price at 20k cdn and its only got 10000kms (6000 miles) on it. The dealer also gave me a 5 year warranty included. Its got the HD LED headlights and the upgraded Sound system too. All of the toys my RSV has.....

Well that post makes it sound like you bought one already. I know it can't be true those because I don't see any pictures. :witch_brew:

Now THAT is GORGEOUS Fries :178::cool10::cool10::thumbsup::clap2::dancefool::thumbsup:!!!! Congrats on the new scoot!!! Also CONGRATS on the price,,, thinking and calculating out loud here,, isnt 20k Canadian like 16k US right now? Just a sec,, gonna go find a converter,, WOW - according to that converter it shows you just paid $13,758.94 US :scared:- OUTSTANDING DEAL BROTHER!!:thumbsup:

THANKS FOR THE PICS - cant wait to see more this coming summer!!:big-grin-emoticon:

I really wasnt looking for a bike, but the guy at the dealership knew Ive liked the Roadglides for years called me and told me that he had a smokin deal..... I had to buy it....but .now i gotta sell the RSV tho :(

Brian

Looks to me like you got a great deal. Did you know that it is a twin to mine? :) Exact same color.

:think: GREAT SCOTT,, now all we need is for that lop eared varmint Yammer Dan to end up with Frie's 2nd Gen and we'll be riding in the Twi-Light Zone this year :big-grin-emoticon:

Don, does your's have the same paint scheme on the fairing sides, LED lights and does it have that style of wheels?? I LOVE the look of those wheels!! For some reason I thought the LED's only came on the CVO's in that year,, wondering if Frie's new scoot may have been a special order or even be a CVO?

Gorgeous scoot!!:thumbsup:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103092[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]103092[/ATTACH]heres a pic its all I have as its back in storage until things warm up around here.. I am impressed with the fit and the finish and I think i got a pretty good price at 20k cdn and its only got 10000kms (6000 miles) on it. The dealer also gave me a 5 year warranty included. Its got the HD LED headlights and the upgraded Sound system too. All of the toys my RSV has.....

Slick Brian. Congrats. Doug

:think: GREAT SCOTT,, now all we need is for that lop eared varmint Yammer Dan to end up with Frie's 2nd Gen and we'll be riding in the Twi-Light Zone this year :big-grin-emoticon:

Don, does your's have the same paint scheme on the fairing sides, LED lights and does it have that style of wheels?? I LOVE the look of those wheels!! For some reason I thought the LED's only came on the CVO's in that year,, wondering if Frie's new scoot may have been a special order or even be a CVO?

Gorgeous scoot!!:thumbsup:

HEY!! I lernt my Lesson!! :backinmyday::backinmyday: