IGNORED

2016 Yamaha FJR1300A & FJR1300ES

leo3wheel

The FJR turns me on. I've always thought they were cool looking bikes. I finally got to test ride one in September at Bikes Blues & BBQ. Really liked it, except for one thing; At freeway speeds, I kept feeling like it needed another gear. I liked everything about it, but more than once, I went for another gear when we were running 75 on the freeway. Sooooooo, I am super glad to see Yammy added a 6th gear for the 2016 model! By adding cruise, electronic adjustable suspension, and a 6 speed tranny to this already wonderful bike, Yamaha has vaulted it into a major player in the sport tour world. I am surprised Kawi hasn't done the same with their Concourse.

FJR1300!

I can only dream.

Always wanted the 2007 model, but now with cruise and 6 speed trans, oh man, that's the ticket!

Maybe if I dream about the $$$, I'll come into some and be at the Yamaha dealer soon (well, I think I read that they will be available this spring).

You all may recall from another thread that I've been eyeballing the BMW K1600 for quite some time. I've been reluctant to pull the trigger, mostly because of the price tag and maintenance costs of the BMW. This new FJR has all the goodies of the BMW (sans GPS) that any sport touring bike could possibly hope for. I'm really anxious to see how this will be priced. I'm have a suspicion that the price of this bike brand new will be competitive with a three of four year old K bike. If that's the case, there is no decision for me to make.

This bike may very well keep a loyal customer with Yamaha for a lot more years.

Yeah, the seating position on a sport touring bike is leaning towards a sport bike seating position and has high foot pegs folding your legs and your feet are under you. It may not be so comfy for some of us mature riders. If you could test ride one, you could find out. I considered my 04 Concours to be comfy except for putting some of my upper body weight on my arms. The handlebars can be raised to help alleviate this issue.

The older Kawasaki Concours XG1000 Sport Tourer is the best used value in motorcycling in my opinion. It was 2010 when I bought the black 2004 in excellent condition with 21k miles for only $3k. I rode it for almost 2 years and sold it for $3k. They have a good reputation for lasting a lot of miles.

The older Kawasaki Concours XG1000 Sport Tourer is the best used value in motorcycling in my opinion. It was 2010 when I bought the black 2004 in excellent condition with 21k miles for only $3k. I rode it for almost 2 years and sold it for $3k. They have a good reputation for lasting a lot of miles.

ZG1000...I had a '97 with 40k that I bought for $1,200. I'm 6'2" 250 and the bike was CRAMPED for me; used set of 1-1/2" riser blocks, used 1" offset peg brackets, and a DIY repading of the seat make it an EXCELLENT commuter bike all for an extra $100.

But most sport-tourers have enough aftermarket support to swing the ergo's either towards sport or towards touring. Lowering brackets for the pegs, riser blocks or heli-bars, and saddles can really open up the seating position.

in my opinion the fj1300 is a continuation of their present models. i think yamaha are dropping the big V4 and will concentrate on the V twin models , like the V star series .there is a large options list with the V Star. The custom features batwing fairing , wind deflectors, audio with i pod/phone compatability, garmin GPS and hard luggage, but no topbox( trunk )

https://www.shopyamaha.com/accessories/Star-Motorcycle?fitment=2015%7c72&taxo_productdepartment_ss_facet=12&dealernumber=&skip=-1

But then again , this may be the new venture

Time will tell

Edited by Jamsie

I much prefer a 4 cylinder bike due to the smoothness of operation and the higher hp per liter. But, I suppose I am part of a dying breed. And the V4 is the most expensive engine design to build and the touring customers have been mostly won over by the big throbbing V twins. Why build expensive fours when the public seems to want a cheap V twin? An FJR with a V twin just wouldn't cut it in my opinion.

I much prefer a 4 cylinder bike due to the smoothness of operation and the higher hp per liter. But, I suppose I am part of a dying breed. And the V4 is the most expensive engine design to build and the touring customers have been mostly won over by the big throbbing V twins. Why build expensive fours when the public seems to want a cheap V twin? An FJR with a V twin just wouldn't cut it in my opinion.

The FJR has an inline four.