IGNORED

State of the Site Address

Freebird

people are going to move on,it's the nature of things.But I look a sites like the Brit Bike sites the Yamaha 650 site,the Bridgestone,Montesa,etc sites. The membership in these has to be minuscule. Yet they survive and provide a wealth of information to those who visit there. As well as good friends and the chance to get together with other people who have the same interests. I don't really see a need to change the focus of our club.There are still a goodly number of VR,RS,RSTD and RSV out there and there will always be people who love them and want to continue to keep them on the hwy. We are a friendly group and very welcoming to new members and I think genuinely sad to see those who have left not be with us any more. Although I maintain my membership here I have moved on,I ride a Spyder now,I haven't been on a V4 since 2011. I don't really have much technical information to add anymore cause I don't work on them anymore. But I do enjoy the friendship and the back and forth of the group. Tweek as you see fit Don but unless a more compelling reason comes along mostly leave it alone.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like things the way they are.

If the site changes, then I will adapt and change with it, and I will still like the site.

I think that instead of me being stuck with this site, that this site is stuck with me.

Don't do facebook, so don't care what happens there.

All good comments folks. I just want to make one thing clear.

Shutting this site down is not under consideration!

So you can take that off the table. VentureRider will be around for a long time.

It's about time you come to your senses:bang head:

Four years ago in December, I bought my first Venture Royale. I found this site and asked a basic question on what to look for when buying a 1st Gen Venture. I wasn't a "paid" member, I had just joined as a trial member.

I was on a business trip and had hauled along my trailer to look at a couple of Ventures for sale in the Phoenix area. Once I set up an appointment to go look at one, I posted a request on what to look for when buying one.

The response was epic.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?65738-Things-I-would-Check!

In fact that response from SkyDoc 17 made it to the the Tech Library fro others to use. I have many times forwarded a WORD version of it that I modified/formatted into a type of checklist using all the same information.

After buying my 89 I had to disassemble my complete front end to install Progressives, change/install new fork seals and remove and lube the triple tree bearing. My bike was so far apart, my wife seriously asked if I was really going to be able to ever put it back together. I honestly did not know if I would/could.

I then received a call from guy identifying himself as "ROCKET" from the Venture site. Rocket spent a lot of time on the phone walking me through many of the issues I was having on the re-assembling of my bike. Rocket called many times during, and after the bike was put back together. In fact, he just called out of the blue several days ago to just see how I was doing. I guess I should mention I eventually found out that he was calling from Canada.

This site has saved me thousands of dollars and made me a better mechanic. Just this past couple of weeks I had to tear my whole back end apart to replace a shock and the job was really stressing me out. A member form this site, David-VideoArizona drove up to Tucson twice ( probably 100 mile R/T) to help me out. Spent most of a Saturday and then a Wednesday night taking apart bikes and putting them back together.

Again, not sure I could have done it without him.

This site is a treasure. In fact just today I got my renewal notice and I just paid it. SO..... we know that the site is good for another 12 months because if it disappears I will hire a gaggle of lawyers and sue a certain person back into existence !!! :detective:

Putting my money where my typing fingers are:

SnipImage.JPG

As long as I have my Venture I can't imagine not being on this sight. I bought my bike new in 2004 and joined here in 2005. I have learned many things on our bikes through the years and that has slowed down because of the age of the bike and me. Been there done that and had that happen already. I don't get to excited about what to look for or add to the bike because if I wanted it I got it thanks to all the info from this sight. Do I keep adding goodies to the bike? Not much to add on that I want anymore. It is still a great looking bike. Still get many complements on it from people I don't know.

I have enjoyed the many Maintenance Day's at Don's through the years. It has always been fun.

Just keep on keeping on.

Thanks Don and may everyone have a Merry Christmas.

Don't you change a damn thing about what and where you you post!! sir.

Don,

I agree with you that maybe we should do away with the Goldwing section since this is a site geared towards Yamaha's and I also agree with you that there are other sites folks can visit and get all the technical information they want on Goldwing's or any other bike out there. If anyone has a question on a Goldwing I would jump at the chance to help them out only because I have learned quite a bit about them as you have Yamaha's.

The site has dwindled in visits from the "old timers" yet I see new posts some times daily and sometimes weekly where a new member joins. The VR "family" atmosphere is what the new members feel and they see how easily they are welcomed by all those VR active members. The willingness for one to jump in and offer assistance and guidance has never failed whether that particular subject / issue was previously discussed here.

The site has slowly become a family oriented place to post our daily family activities, things purchased (bikes, vehicles, accessories) including jokes, weather, job and embarrassing moments, and yet there are still new posted threads related to technical issues. It is a large mix of just about any subject out there excluding religion and politics (which is a good thing).

The Forum page reminds me of a LARGE restaurant menu with so many things listed to choose from. It has grown to accommodate requests for features that in my opinion should be re-evaluated and see if we can't remove some of them and turn the site back towards motorcycle talk. I am Soooo guilty of posting stuff here that was not motorcycle related only in an effort to bring a smile to someone's face or post on how my day was going.

I will stop here and leave that to be digested for now.

Eck

Sorry Don,

I didn't see your original post right away, but you asked for input and you got it....after a little nudge :8: From my experience, the best thing you ever did on this subject was to ignore my advice when I told you that you were crazy for wanting to start another Venture specific site..... after your current experience with Venturers? But my focus at that point was in a different direction and you did the right thing and followed your passion, where all us who have come here since have reaped the rewards of your vision and passion.

Saying that, I'm still amazed at the number of 1st gen Ventures (especially 83s) that are still on the road and being brought back from the grave. And without of the help of members on this forum and others like us to help in this effort, these bikes would just be sitting rusting out in a salvage yard?

At this point in the life of this organization, I would suggest that we just remain patient? Yes I realize that Yamaha had not made or sold a Venture in 2 years but, just remember this is not the first time they have done this. The first time it took them 6 years to give us a new Venture and I expect they will do better this time...especially when they have a rock solid engine and drive line sitting in a cult bike...that they really sank a bunch of R&D into. I don't know if anyone has taken a good look at this new engine, but it is now a 65 degree rather than a 70 degree V-4 that we have had since 83. And the clutch has 10 fiber plates rather than 7 or 8. If they don't release a new Venture soon, I wouldn't get discouraged....it has to be coming....but on their schedule :hihi:

And just remember we are not the only Venture owners forum in the market? It would be nice if we could get the ear and trust of Yamaha but I think Allen Cease and his Star Riders still have this priviledge. If it's a numbers issue then we need to spend more time and each of us market and sell ourselves to Venture owners every chance we get? And I think having a presence on FaceBook, might not be a bad idea? This is the age of social media now isn't it?

That's my 2 cents,

Rick

I still visit once in a while,however the transformation from 1st to 2nd gen by Yamaha kind of put me off a little,I love reading some of the goofy stories (COWPUC) and there still is a lot of great information to be had on this site,I don`t think adding more models or brands would be beneficial,I joined this bunch of crazies because we all have something in common YAMAHA VENTURES-stay safe,ride alot,be happy.

I still visit once in a while,however the transformation from 1st to 2nd gen by Yamaha kind of put me off a little,I love reading some of the goofy stories (COWPUC) and there still is a lot of great information to be had on this site,I don`t think adding more models or brands would be beneficial,I joined this bunch of crazies because we all have something in common YAMAHA VENTURES-stay safe,ride alot,be happy.

:rasberry:

attachment.php?attachmentid=102628&d=1438351989

DSCN1103.JPG

It has often been said if it ain't broke don't fix it. I am quite comfortable with the site as it is. I think that the sites uniqueness is the fact that we are primarily venture owners and this is our main bond, but yet with arms open to non-venture owners who are a part of this site because of who we are and the family type connection that also bonds us. I find that quite often an all makes bike forum tends to loose our type of identity and becomes dominated by the more radical and younger crotch rocket riders who would frown on our PG rating or conflict avoiding policies. I joined this club in 2006 which will soon be 10 years for me and I have enjoyed everything and everyone involved with this site. I have made some very strong friendships through this site and gained an amazing amount of both knowledge and help from this site and its members whenever I needed it whether I asked for it or not. I am also a member of a local bike forum dedicated to bikers in Greater Toronto Area which is an all make membership for the sake of local knowledge but I just do not feel as at home there as I do here.

Edited by saddlebum

Don started this thread and it seems like we have gotten a number of new family members lately!! I for one think that is neato acapeeto'! Like everyone else on here, I LOVE making new friends - a person simply cannot have enough friends! At a time when our planet seems to have an abundance of problems with hatred and fighting, we seem to be able to get along very nicely within our club of lop eared varmints that are known as VentureRiders..

After reading some recent posts from folks who recently joined us, something popped into my mind. I recalled some deep sadness I had had over hearing of a family member who had chosen to leave our midst a while back. Remembering this thread, I found myself wondering if there was something that could be talked about within our family that could help in reducing the possibility of something like that happening again - at least reduce the probability of it.. Thought maybe, being the Christmas Season (Peace on Earth and all that) plus seeing all the new names around here, this may be a good time to toss this out..

Some thoughts..

1. Always try to NOT take things that are said to personal.

2. Joking around and teasing one another is something that many of us enjoy doing, having hurt feelings come from poking fun is NOT fun for anyone though - if you contribute to teasing and poking fun PLEASE know that you probably will get teased back. If you don't contribute, please feel free to chuckle with the rest of us but be careful not to take any of our ribbing each other to heart.. An example is if we are teasing each other about the type of scoot we ride we are NOT referencing our true feelings in any form. I for one have a deep passion for ALL motorcycles and have the highest respect and love for ALL my brothers/sisters that ride them - just because I give someone a hard time about their Harley or their Wing or their moped does not mean I actually feel that way.. I know I kid around a LOT about 1st Gens being faster than 2nd Gens but in all honesty - I really have no idea which one is faster and seriously, I dont really care - it is fun to joke about it though. Also, I tease a fellow member here who I love dearly about owning a machine that controls the weather, he doesn't really have one BUT he sure is fun to poke fun at.

3. Our moderators and the owner of VR (Freebird) are really GREAT people. Unfortunately, part of their job here involves doing things that can easily be taken personally by the rest of us varmints. I have had threads moved, been part of group scolding for placing posts in the wrong area's and all that. After careful heart examination I have generally been able to see where the actions that one of our leaders had taken needed to be done for the benefit of our site. This sounds easy but I will tell ya, in the middle of it all it can be a difficult thing to do. Something that has really helped me in dealing with some of this has been remembering that our leaders are just people too, the big difference is that they are the ones who have to do the job of keeping things in order, safe and flowing smoothly for our benefit. Another thing that I have found that has helped me is getting out and actually meeting some of them. For some reason (in my case anyway), getting to shake hands with, ride with and even share a hot dog with these varmints helps a LOT with understanding them and their collective positions. They are ALL amazing people who deserve our respect and love.

4. If you are the original poster of a post, try to respond to people who have posted with an answer and not just disappear. This seems to give the responders a feeling that you appreciate them and the time they took to write. Sounds crazy but something inside me tells me that little things like that really do matter.

5. We cant go wrong by using those little "thanks" and "like" icons at the bottom of posts. I still think that there really is something to Ernest P. Worrell's little song about those three little words = please and thank-you.

6. Never be afraid to offer suggestions to technical questions by others, there are LOTS of really mechanically inclined people on the site who may or may not agree with your suggestions BUT nobody knows everything about everything and a really great benefit of a family like ours is that we can and do learn from each other - no matter what stage of the learning curve we are at. Always remember - there are NO stupid questions!

7. I LOVE pictures - for me (and others too - I KNOW this for a fact) pictures included with a story are like cake and ice cream,, yummmmm good!! It seems like many folks have reported having problems getting pics to load on VR.. For some reason something inside me tells me that even some folks may have given up because of those difficulties. I want to say that we WANT to see your pics. A really big deal that I ran into a long time ago had to do with pictures being to big to load - I seriously have come to believe that picture size is the number one reason that pics wont load up on the site. I personally use "Paint" to resize pics if needed BUT I know that Don (Freebird) has a thread in the forums all about this - PLEASE use it and keep the wonderful pics coming!!

8. We have a members map that shows a little balloon that points to our home locations. I LOVE to spend time playing on that map and seeing where friends of mine are from and am proud to have my name pop up on there because I am proud to be part of our family. If you haven't done so and wouldn't mind doing so, please include your balloon on that map.

9. If you read about a Meet n Greet (or other gathering) and feel a pull to go and meet some of these people in person PLEASE do so. This may sound crazy but I know from years of hanging out with different groups of bikers how hard it can be because the wondering whether or not I will "fit" in still bugs me too sometimes. I just want to say that I have never experienced a more receptive group of folks than I have here on VR. To put this into perspective, Tip and I are non-drinkers - I have been to over night gatherings with this group and have NEVER had an issue arise from turning down consumption and NEVER felt out of place or looked down upon for being a non-drinker. Just very good folks who accept me the way I am - cant ask for more than that! This goes for folks from the East Coast, West Coast, North coast including Canada and those Southna's are AWESOME too!! Even if you end up driving your car - you will be welcome!

10. Ever notice those cute little badges under peoples Avatars? Ever click on one and see what they are about? If not you should - those badges are there because someone thought enough to nominate someone for one reason or another.. Some really interesting reading can be found by clicking on those award badges. Did you know that you can nominate your friends here for special awards,, acts of kindness and all that too? Pretty cool really because those follow the deserving person on all their posts, sort of a real easy way to learn about each other!! Think about using those as a way to say thank you to a new or old friend! Just another way to make each other feel a little more welcome and appreciated from my perspective.

11. There is a way to "friend" people here on VR. I dont know about anybody else but I like that a LOT.. Clicking on someones name, reading about them and what they are about, clicking on that little "friend" icon and then being accepted by them as a friend is really pretty neat - I have always felt like a person cant have to many friends and that little icon sure makes it easy to have them here on VR! On a side note, a while back I did that and within a very short time after clicking on that icon I got a phone call. The voice of a person I had never met was on the other end of phone and said he had called to introduce himself and "meet" me before he accepted my friend request - HOW COOL IS THAT!! We talked for a good while and now both are looking forward to meeting some day in real life - it dont get no better than that!!

12. If you go to a "Maintenance Day" go to learn about your bike/meet new folks and not necessarily for some free repair work. Most folks LOVE helping others but really dont care for being taken advantage of. Also, dont be afraid to jump in and spin a few wrench's - even if your like me and concerned about things like "what if I cant firgure it out",, there will usually be someone around that can!

This world needs more Pucs!

and more Dougs n Dales n Bobs n Darrins n Joes n Bills n Daves n Petes n Sams n Jamies n Joshuas n Brads n Mikes n Sharons n Dawns n Jills and on and on.. Almost put down more Tippy's but that aint possible cause she is one of kind,, sure glad I got her when I did:173:!!:thumbsup:

Good post puc. I use to have thick skin but after seeing all the stuff with the college kids, I need a safe room, a place where I can feel safe and words will not hurt me. LOL :missingtooth:

But honestly, like Puc, I enjoy meeting people and making friends. My wife get tired of me in a long Walmart line, I have met everyone in line, and invited half of them to dinner with us.

I can take a good ribbing so lay it on thick.

My goal in 2016 is to hopefully meet a few of you in person.

Larry

Good post puc. I use to have thick skin but after seeing all the stuff with the college kids, I need a safe room, a place where I can feel safe and words will not hurt me. LOL :missingtooth:

But honestly, like Puc, I enjoy meeting people and making friends. My wife get tired of me in a long Walmart line, I have met everyone in line, and invited half of them to dinner with us.

I can take a good ribbing so lay it on thick.

My goal in 2016 is to hopefully meet a few of you in person.

Larry

Sounding like our kinda varmint Larry!! Have you figured out how to use the VR Calendar thingy yet? LOTS of good options always popping up there. Also might wanna keep an eye peeled around here in the Water Hole for Meet n Greet opportunities. One of my favorite M n G's has gotten to be one called "Pucs Greet - Meet n Eat Meat"s. While not the fanciest shig dig by no stretch of the word - that particular M n G has experienced major growth spurts and has gotten AMAZING reviews, probably because of the OUTSTANDING Hot Dogs that my crew of misfits tend to create. Most of the lop eared varmints who have attended are from Michigan but we have had several unscrupulous critters come stay with us - some even from Canada - for one of these events. That is never a problem, we have lots of room for camping if necessary BUT usually its not cause we also have xtra sleeping area's here in the house.. Keep it in mind if your ever thinking you might wanna Venture up into Michigan.

IMHO - attending one of "Puc's Greet - Meet n Eat Meat" events is closely seconded by one of @Freebirds Maintenance Days (I can just see anyone reading this going :scared:and saying "I cant believe ol Pucster said that :big-grin-emoticon:" - to them I say :stickinouttounge:). Closer to you (Don is in Oberlin Ohio) and, after FINALLY attending my first one last year I gotta say that I have been missing something very special and really amazing all these years :95:- LOTS of fun:thumbsup:!!!

Of course, you will find MANY other opportunities on the Calendar (some right out your back door), I have attended a number of them thru the years and I have yet to find one that Tip and I did not have a BLAST at and ALWAYS felt TOTALLY welcome. It would be fun to just run around all summer and make as many of these outings as possible :big-grin-emoticon:

Oh, by the way,,, @bj66 started a new one last year called "The Pie Butt 26.2" . Its during the big Sturgis Rally, open camp on the prairie - then head into Newel South Dakota and become an official Pie Butt 26.2 Rider (we rival and :stickpoke: with the Iron Butt Riders dont we guys?!!!!). You would LOVE it!! :big-grin-emoticon:

Venture West is amazing, an International is a must do, @OrlinEngh 's shin dig in Wisconsin is incredible, if you can catch a Vogel (:think:exactly what is a Vogel you may ask:scratchchin:) and the the Dragon with @DragonRider and that bunch you WILL come home a changed man, have yet to make a New York shindig but have heard amazing reports and still hoping to - same with this thing called Pig in a Tree (Pork in the Pines).. Hmmm, I KNOW I am missing a few thousand different ride ops here BUT you get the point I am sure!!

All the best in '16 @Larry1963 and hope to cross roads with you sometime!!:happy34:

DSCN1695.JPG

DSCN1272.JPG

DSCN1710.JPG

DSCN1683.JPG

DSCN1061.JPG

small.jpg

Edited by cowpuc

Almost had me convinced to come to one of those "Pucs Greet - Meet n Eat Meat"s . Then I saw that last picture, now I'm not so sure it's safe to go there :yikes:

:confused24:,, you varmints and your fancy shmancy trailers,, always pickin on my poor little blue Menards tent:95::big-grin-emoticon:

Calendar what the heck is that, I have a wife that tells me what I have to do everyday LOL :301:

You know I have a church, it is in the country but on a paved road, they love to cook....... Thinking maybe I could schedule a M&G in South GA. I have been asked to schedule two benefit rides, one for Pregnancy Support center, the other would be in November for Wounded Warrior project. Maybe schedule with one of them.

Last couple of years I have not done much long distance riding. I have a guy in my church that just turned 60 that also rides, we have been talking about doing a few long distance rides before we get to old and can only talk about the rides. He wants to do a coast to coast ride, maybe up to MO and get on Route 66 to CA. Turning 53 soon I have come to realize life is short, and working is great but before it is to late need to throw some fun in there too.

So I keep my eyes open for anything in GA or FL that I can go too.

Final thought, motorcyclist maybe some of the nicest people I know, and the most generous, but from those pictures above, not the best looking crowd. :mustache::scared:

Sounding like our kinda varmint Larry!! Have you figured out how to use the VR Calendar thingy yet? LOTS of good options always popping up there. Also might wanna keep an eye peeled around here in the Water Hole for Meet n Greet opportunities. One of my favorite M n G's has gotten to be one called "Pucs Greet - Meet n Eat Meat"s. While not the fanciest shig dig by no stretch of the word - that particular M n G has experienced major growth spurts and has gotten AMAZING reviews, probably because of the OUTSTANDING Hot Dogs that my crew of misfits tend to create. Most of the lop eared varmints who have attended are from Michigan but we have had several unscrupulous critters come stay with us - some even from Canada - for one of these events. That is never a problem, we have lots of room for camping if necessary BUT usually its not cause we also have xtra sleeping area's here in the house.. Keep it in mind if your ever thinking you might wanna Venture up into Michigan.

IMHO - attending one of "Puc's Greet - Meet n Eat Meat" events is closely seconded by one of @Freebirds Maintenance Days (I can just see anyone reading this going :scared:and saying "I cant believe ol Pucster said that :big-grin-emoticon:" - to them I say :stickinouttounge:). Closer to you (Don is in Oberlin Ohio) and, after FINALLY attending my first one last year I gotta say that I have been missing something very special and really amazing all these years :95:- LOTS of fun:thumbsup:!!!

Of course, you will find MANY other opportunities on the Calendar (some right out your back door), I have attended a number of them thru the years and I have yet to find one that Tip and I did not have a BLAST at and ALWAYS felt TOTALLY welcome. It would be fun to just run around all summer and make as many of these outings as possible :big-grin-emoticon:

Oh, by the way,,, @bj66 started a new one last year called "The Pie Butt 26.2" . Its during the big Sturgis Rally, open camp on the prairie - then head into Newel South Dakota and become an official Pie Butt 26.2 Rider (we rival and :stickpoke: with the Iron Butt Riders dont we guys?!!!!). You would LOVE it!! :big-grin-emoticon:

Venture West is amazing, an International is a must do, @OrlinEngh 's shin dig in Wisconsin is incredible, if you can catch a Vogel (:think:exactly what is a Vogel you may ask:scratchchin:) and the the Dragon with @DragonRider and that bunch you WILL come home a changed man, have yet to make a New York shindig but have heard amazing reports and still hoping to - same with this thing called Pig in a Tree (Pork in the Pines).. Hmmm, I KNOW I am missing a few thousand different ride ops here BUT you get the point I am sure!!

All the best in '16 @Larry1963 and hope to cross roads with you sometime!!:happy34:

THAT WAS FUN THANK YOU PUC :mo money:

:scratchchin:And here I thought at least one of us lop eared sneaky varmints was gonna get excommunicated after all the :Im not listening to thats been going on around here.. :big-grin-emoticon:

So, what do you guys think about the new Harleys? :witch_brew::stirthepot::smash2::big-grin-emoticon:

:lightbulb:By the way,, I had a couple teeth pulled a couple weeks ago to get ready for my a new life with my first shot at getting some partials. This being done by a new family dentist. Had a little trouble with one of those removed biters getting a "dry socket". After only my 3rd visit with this new dentist, the guy walks up to me sitting there in his dentist chair waiting for him and guess what the first words out of his mouth were? He says,,, "hows my favorite troublemaker's dry socket doing?" :confused24:

Fixed his little bandwagon,,, before my appointment was over I had invited him and his wife out to one of our Hot Dog Meet n Eats next summer to meet some REAL troublemakers :thumbsup:

I'm a few days late and certainly not been around the forum long. I've own my '83 VR for about 6 weeks (I think) and this site is a key reason it's up and running. My experience with forums that are bike specific has been very good. My first forum experience involved a '79 Triumph Bonneville Special that hadn't run for about 15 years. That was a forum dedicated to Triumph, the brand, so there were whole sections devoted to new bikes which kept the new blood coming in maybe.

As the VR's slowly fade out of existence (could take a while if they all made 300K miles like Puc's) you might see total numbers of active members drop. That's really when the value of the information here goes up though. As parts become harder to find and the bikes are less common, those who have them tend to become more dedicated and/or desperate!

Good luck and thanks for putting in the time/effort to manage this for the rest of us!

Nobody knows what the future holds, but I certainly appreciate the veterans giving me pointers that have saved me lots of time and headache. I've gotten to enjoy 1200+ miles on my VR already and that wouldn't have been possible without this site. Looking forward to making a ride or two if I can sneak away from the Mrs. and 4 little ones (3 - 8 years old).