IGNORED

Lets go back in time,, how old were you when you got your very 1st bike?

cowpuc

Since I had the nerve to ask such a nosey question, I will go first :big-grin-emoticon:

I was 9. I whined and bugged my dad enough :Im not listening tothat he finally caved and agreed to split the cost of a scoot with me. He was supporting his family of 7 kids at the time by delivering linen for a living and found this 1959 Sears/Allstate moped at one of his stops for a measly 50 bucks - actually, back then 50 dollars was a TON of money!! As I recall, my half of that 50 bucks pretty much emptied my little black bank I kept hidden from my little brother who you see on the back of my beloved motorcycle.

The pic of the two of us (a young Puc at the helm OF COURSE) was taken as I participated in our local Memorial Day parade - NO I didnt normally run around with crepe paper decorating my scoot and this was wayyyyyy before I discovered stickers :big-grin-emoticon:. Notice though that I do have a grease rag draped over the front of the tank, I was always "tweaking" - even as a kid..

Still got the frame to that ol bike down stairs in the basement,, makes me :big-grin-emoticon: every time I walk past it.:thumbsup:

Now it's YOUR turn:thumbsup:

attachment.php?attachmentid=102499&d=1448933619

attachment.php?attachmentid=102498&d=1448933619

DSCN2087.JPG

DSCN2083.JPG

Rode (and repaired) mini bikes since I could hold them up.

Rode my first real motorcycle when I was 13 or 14, an RD350.

That was kinda a dumb thing my foster dad did to let me actually pilot that rocket on the highway.

First bike I had titled to me was a 1978 SR500 back in 1979.

I have a 1979 SR500 now.

I was 10 or 11 years old when it became all mine. It was a blue Kawasaki 90 enduro. Started riding it when I was 8 but had to share it with my older brother. My oldest brother had a Kawasaki 175 red in color, moved up to a Yamaha 400 yellow in color dirt bike. My other brother who is 3 years older bought a Yamaha 250 dirt bike and I got the little Kawasaki. That 250 was a strong running bike. The 400 didn't have much on the 250.....No pictures of any of them either. After the 90, I moved up to a Yamaha 100 (taller frame). Wrecked that one, jumping approaches etc. Winter time we had 2 Yamaha 250 Enticer snowmobiles. Lots of Yamaha's in our family over the years....

Edited by bj66

I was 10 or 11 years old when it became all mine. It was a blue Kawasaki 90 enduro. Started riding it when I was 8 but had to share it with my older brother. My oldest brother had a Kawasaki 175 red in color, moved up to a Yamaha 400 yellow in color dirt bike. My other brother who is 3 years older bought a Yamaha 250 dirt bike and I got the little Kawasaki. That 250 was a strong running bike. The 400 didn't have much on the 250.....No pictures of any of them either. After the 90, I moved up to a Yamaha 100 (taller frame). Wrecked that one, jumping approaches etc. Winter time we had 2 Yamaha 250 Enticer snowmobiles. Lots of Yamaha's in our family over the years....

1973KawasakiMC1-AEnduro.jpgdownload.jpgdt 250 mx.jpgdownload (2).jpg1977_et250.jpg

Pictures of all of them from the internet.....oh the memories

I was 7 when I got my first ride on a bike. It was a 49 Panhead that my oldest brother had. I was 12 when I first rode myself, it was a 26" bicycle with a Maytag gas motor mounted to it. It had no brakes so we had to coast to a stop. My first street bike was a Suzuki 90. Then a Bridgestone 350 GTO that almost killed me.

Classic first bike story for ya Puc. My dad was born in 1931, when he was in high school he bought a Whizzer and rode it for awhile. One day he couldn't get it running so they tied a rope from it to his friends old Model A and pulled him back to town on GRAVEL . Good thing nhe was wearing a heavy leather jacket, cuz his buddies were pulling him about 30 mph when he went down. Had GRAVEL all the way through his coat and into his back. Whizzer was sold not long after that. I think grandma had something to say about that. That would've happened in 1948 or 1949......I guess I see where I got it from.......

Mine was a 1974 Yamaha DT125 that I purchased when I was 16. Learned how to ride that in the sand hills and back country and on the local roads. Sold that for a 70 Chevelle SS 396 and didnt have a motorcycle again till 1979 and it was a 77 Yamaha 750 triple.

Rick F.

I was 24 when I got my first bike in 1971. It was a 175 cc Allstate and I traded four chrome car wheels for it. Two years later I got a 73 Yamaha RD350, with 500 miles on it. It’s a wonder I didn’t kill myself on that bike.

I first read this all I could think of was the bicycle I bugged my folks for probably a year.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag62/Kittlebomb/0226131244_zpsa3504154.jpg

First bike titled in my name was an RD 350. I had rode some dirt bikes prior. Ran Hodaka 100's for a bit. In volved with a dealer and some kind of promo thing. Would take the Ace and strip lights off and run them. I guess to show them off. I didnt care I got to ride. lol

http://tenwheel.com/imgs/a/c/e/l/y/1968_hodaka_ace_100__condition_2_lgw.jpg

Interesting topic as it takes my mind some time to get back that far!

First bike - 68? Kawasaki 85cc...one memory, not that reliable!

graduated to a 72 Honda 125 and thought I had a monster to ride...still laughing.

next was my first Yamaha 305 Big Bear...loved riding so much I rode it through a B.C. winter with snow on the roads...3 times into the ditches yet no damage as the snow banks were quite forgiving.

on to a 750 Norton with extended front end...dropped it on its side at 50 MPH after encountering frost heaves on the highway. Slept on my stomach for 2 weeks account the asphalt wore my pants off to the skin...quite some road rash!

900 Harley Sportster...sold to a girlfriend and she had it lifted by low-lifes while she was on a trip to California.

back to an RD400 Yamaha...wonderful.

went without for a few years...then

78? 750 Virago and loved it...reliable.

2007 V-Star 1100 Silverado Classic still in the garage...very nice for short riding around town yet enjoyable and comfortable for long distance.

now riding the 2013 RSV and the love affair continues...

Leftcoaster

18 years old - bought an early 60's 650cc Triumph TR6 in need of work. Was semi-chopped and fast. The ape handlebars saved my butt by keeping me from going over the front during a sliding stop caused by a car pulling out in front of me. When I rebuilt the engine I discovered why it vibrated so much - the pistons moved together (one on compression while the other was on exhaust) with big crankshaft counterweights to try smooth it out. I guess that some engineer at Triumph thought that would be a good design idea.

zag

It was around 1966 when I was about 14 or 15 yrs old. Had ridden a few friends bikes around the field but my Dad and I went to Edmonton to the HD dealer (Klatt HD) and bought (bill of sale) a 125 cc Harley till my Dad realized it was a 2 stroke engine so that ended the deal before we got it out the door. Instead, I bought a new 125 cc Ducati and rode it home. My first mc but unfortunately it only lasted about a year because the engine went out twice on it. Can't remember why but it was a factory fault of some sort so after the second engine seized up, the HD dealer gave me back what I'd paid for it and I bought a new 175 Kawasaki Scrambler (about 1968 vintage). What a great bike that was and wished I still had it today. Rarely ever see them advertised or restored. Sold it to a neighbour in 1970 when it was time to get a career. Doug

I was about ten when I got my mini bike. Ran the heck outta that thing for two years and then we moved and had to sell it. At 16 I took my buddy's 175 enduro on my first short road experience. About two years later another buddy gave me a ride on his Suzuki 750 water buffalo. Wow! Talk about acceleration. At 21 I bought my first street bike, an XS 400 Special Yamaha and have been riding something ever since. There was about a 4 or 5 year break in there when my daughter was young that I went bikeless.

My first one was a '62 Triumph Thunderbird that I got in '67. In '69, as a poor college student, I sold it to buy an engagement ring. I know, dumb move, but she is still with me.

I got got away from bikes until I finished school in 1972 but traded Corvettes while I was in school, the profits to pay for tuition and living expenses. That enterprise allowed me to only rely on my family for only $250 to finance my college education.

the next bike I bought was a Kawasaki Greenstreak that was a bit worn. It didn't stay with me for long because everyone I ran with at that time were trials riders and a MX bike didn't fit well.

So.....I sold th Kaw and bought the lovely Barbie a Hodaka 100B. We "shared" it for a while, and I rode my first trial on it. Not long afterward, so that she could have her Hodaka all to herself, I bought my first real trials bike, a Bultaco Sherpa T.

1973, 20 years old, first street legal, licensed, brand spankin' new, Honda 350Four.

What a workhorse. Wish I had taken pics of the girlfriend (now wife) and myself, 2 up, all our camping gear,

running around northern Ontario on weekends. (traded in 76' for a yellow 76' Goldwing, now that was luxury)

The Comfort Inns works for us these days. :hihi:

img_jhUIC3GFgd.jpg

I was somewhere between 8 and 10 (man a long time ago) and it was one of those mini bikes with a lawn mower engine.. This isn't mine but it looked like this one only not a clean

http://justin.chrismeyer.org/images/foxminibike/Fox-Minibike-Finished-002.jpg

1959 fresh out of high school I heard an Ariel Square Four before I saw it, and when I did I bought it on the spot. It had that Indy Offenhauser lope to it, and it was love at first sight. It was my only mode of transportation while in college. Wish I still owned it......

Ariel Square Four MKII 1000 1958.jpg

1973, 20 years old, first street legal, licensed, brand spankin' new, Honda 350Four.

What a workhorse. Wish I had taken pics of the girlfriend (now wife) and myself, 2 up, all our camping gear,

running around northern Ontario on weekends. (traded in 76' for a yellow 76' Goldwing, now that was luxury)

The Comfort Inns works for us these days. :hihi:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102509[/ATTACH]

My neighbor across the street had one in mint condition. You could eat off that thing it was so clean. He also had a 292 Snow Jet and a Arçtic Cat 440 Puma snowmobiles that were just as clean. He passed away in his early sixties of heart attack. His wife sold his HD Electra Glide that he was riding, but she has kept everything else. I saw him get those out of the shed 3 or 4 different times and I just loved that 350 it was awesome.

Summer of 72 I was 14. Went with my neighbors to the Lake for a long weekend to stay in a cabin. When we got back home there was a 60 something (don't remember the exact year) Honda 90 sitting in the garage. Dad had bought it for my upcoming 15 birthday. One of the happiest kids in the neighborhood. Been hooked ever since.

1960s Honda 90.jpg

Then I bought a 60 something Yamahas Twin Jet 100.

1960s Yamaha Twin Jet 100.jpeg

At one point I had the Yamaha 100, my Dad had a Yamaha RD350, my Mom had a Yamaha RD250, my brother had a Suzuki 80, one of my Uncles had a Honda 350 Scrambler and my Grandfather had a Suzuki 90 with the fat tires. We rode together whenever we got the chance.