IGNORED

5 Second Fix ??

MikeWa

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping for some first hand experience. But given that dentists use ultra violet light activated epoxy for tooth repair, which seem to hold up. I will probably get a tube and run a few tests of my own.

Mike

Most of that "as seen on TV" stuff....I automatically assume doesn't work. :)

I totally agree boss...

By creating a cornball TV ad that portrays everyday tasks as being next to impossible without "THIS" product.....the true results range from ridiculous to downright sad.

As they always say...Buyer beware!!!....:stickpoke:

Homemade ABS glue.

If you are repairing ABS on the bike here is what I did to repair my lower fairing that cracked completely across the front during my last ride.

First take a piece of "ABS" plumbing pipe and cut off about 2 inches.

Use dikes or side cutters and cut this into 20 or 30 very very small pieces.

Put the pieces into small jar, like a baby food jar, and include the saw dust from cutting then. fill the jar about half full of acetone.

Let it sit overnight and mix well before using.

You will need to have some masking tape or clamps around to hold the pieces in place.

Using a small soldering flux brush mix everything in the bottle well.

Don't worry if not all of the ABS has dissolved as it will continue to melt and be ready for future repairs..

Using the brush apply a small amount of the liquid to both pieces needing to be reattached and hold the pieces together using a clamp or tape.

After about 20 minutes apply some of the liquid to the areas around the cracked/glued area and repeat a couple more times.

Let everything set overnight and you should have a real secure repair since the acetone melts ABS and makes the repair area exceptionally strong.

My repair is holding well including the lower attaching mount which completely cracked off.

Once the paint dries I will polish it and take pictures of both sides for reference.

Let us know how the light repair works.

I've used a similar recipe - used MEK (methyl ethyl ketone - I think) instead of acetone. Not sure what the difference is. But wouldn't the glue they sell for ABS plumbing work just as well?

Yes the ABS Cement plumbers use is made to cement ABS together. Use it sparingly and wipe excess off quickly. It will dissolve paint very very quickly.

I recently bought a similar product called "Bondic;" The plastic shroud on the charger cord for my I-phone pulled loose from the piece which plugs into the phone, leaving about a half an inch of exposed wires. I put on a couple of drops of the liquid that comes with the kit and shone the special light on it for a couple of seconds and it sealed the wires in a beautiful clear, hard bubble. Unbelievable! Looks like a factory original. Worked fine and like magic, so now I'll look for something else to repair.

We use UV cure adhesives on many of the medical devices we make for securing tubing and potting PCB's. We don't use an open light source like the video above, as a matter of safety. You just have to remember, if the light does not reach the adhesive, it will not cure.

I have used the Bondic as mentioned above. It is available at Home Depot. It works well for some things and for others very poorly. I found some materials it will not bond to (usually anything with a smooth surface) and will just peel off once cured. Some materials (usually porous) it will bond quite well. It does not work well for tight butt joints because if the UV light cannot reach the glue it will not cure. If making a butt joint you need to leave a bit of space and use it as a filler so that the UV light can reach the glue. At the end of the day even under circumstances were it will work . For sealing gaps, coating wires or sealing electrical joints its pretty good. All In all it is handy to carry around and use for quick temporary repairs but I have not considered it very reliable were any strength is required or for any long term repair

Edited by saddlebum