IGNORED

Venture West 2016 - looking for feedback

Lone Eagle

Yeh, just got to love those wasps. Got one inside my helmet on the side of my head. I was going down the highway smashing the heck out of the left side of my helmet trying to crush it. Got some strange looks from the car drivers passing me.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was checking the member map today and looked at Sun Valley, Idaho. It seems to be centrally located on the western U.S. I've been there for skiing and it was beautiful. This may be a choice to consider for Venture West. The lodges and restaurants exist, scenery great, are our Idaho members active? Would this be a good choice?

Sun Valley lodging is fairly pricey,Stanley is more reasonable and more central to the good stuff.

.The Sun Valley-Stanley-Challis-Craters of the Moon loop is about 325 miles. Can always run the river road to Salmon for a day,Challis for eateries and hot pool or up to Idaho City and the Springs Resort (google it).. All my playground,I think you would like it!!

Edited by Ride2much

• 1 month later...

Wow. Thank you guys for all of your hard work. The Mt. St.Helens area is also a good choice. It brings Mt Rainier, Sunrise, Mt.ST Helens, Crystal Mountain and several mountain passes into play. It is also accessible from most directions.

Mike

A lot of great suggestions and while we enjoy locations south of the border Hurricane Janet and I are going to be on a tight budget for a while and considering the dollar we would favour someplace north of the border

The dollar closed at 69 cents today against the greenback. I'm afraid that just about guarantees my riding this year will be north of the 49th. I wish Victor and Nanci and whoever else might be planning the VW 2016 good luck. Wish I could be part of it but I'm afraid it won't be this year. Doug

The dollar closed at 69 cents today against the greenback. I'm afraid that just about guarantees my riding this year will be north of the 49th. I wish Victor and Nanci and whoever else might be planning the VW 2016 good luck. Wish I could be part of it but I'm afraid it won't be this year. Doug

DITTO That !

Only thing I'm going south of the border for is to pick up a package in Blaine. Ordered me some new handlebars!! Got them used for $150 US plus $25 shipping ... with the exchange it ended up costing $268 CDN Still a far cry from full retail though!

BUMP.... What's happening?????

It looks like a lot of members are gearing up to attend the Kruisin event in July this year - me being one of them. What would everyone think about a get together the 2nd or 3rd weekend in Sept. - either in Susanville or Visalia? Susanville speaks for itself. My thought on Visalia is that we could enjoy and explore Kings Canyon, Sequoia National Park, in Fresno - only a few miles up the road is the Forestiere Underground Gardens - which is an amazing landmark to visit.

DITTO That !

Only thing I'm going south of the border for is to pick up a package in Blaine. Ordered me some new handlebars!! Got them used for $150 US plus $25 shipping ... with the exchange it ended up costing $268 CDN Still a far cry from full retail though!

The last time someone brought up the difference in the exchange rate between the Loonie and the buck, I was just anal enough to do some checking, and found that even with the big discrepancy the actual cash outlay was about the same due to the difference in the prices paid for lodging and fuel in the US. OK not exactly, but dam close. Coming from down under in the US, the Canadian prices eat up any rate savings. Same thing in fuel. The difference in the cost, it being cheaper in the US, makes up for the difference in the dollar. Granted a trip south for our northern neighbors won't be the screaming deal as in the past when the exchange rate was pretty much the same..... My daughter lives in Sault St Marie MI, and the big box stores are still doing great biz with Canadians coming across the bridge... Even with todays exchange rate. I wonder why?? :witch_brew:

The last time someone brought up the difference in the exchange rate between the Loonie and the buck, I was just anal enough to do some checking, and found that even with the big discrepancy the actual cash outlay was about the same due to the difference in the prices paid for lodging and fuel in the US. OK not exactly, but dam close. Coming from down under in the US, the Canadian prices eat up any rate savings. Same thing in fuel. The difference in the cost, it being cheaper in the US, makes up for the difference in the dollar. Granted a trip south for our northern neighbors won't be the screaming deal as in the past when the exchange rate was pretty much the same..... My daughter lives in Sault St Marie MI, and the big box stores are still doing great biz with Canadians coming across the bridge... Even with todays exchange rate. I wonder why?? :witch_brew:

Granted, some things are still less expensive even with the exchange ... like gas for instance. But there are still a lot of things that aren't so I guess it all depends on what a person is gonna spend their money on.

Granted, some things are still less expensive even with the exchange ... like gas for instance. But there are still a lot of things that aren't so I guess it all depends on what a person is gonna spend their money on.

Granted... I just looked at fuel, lodging, and grub.....

I thought with the Canadians opting for Kruisin' the Kootenays and not venturing down to the US, the Venture West was a no-go. But, if there is still interest, I'm interested. I'm retiring from teaching in June, and September is okay for me.

Congrats on your retirement! Hope we can hook up again one day!

Debbie and I would like to go:banana: We wouldn't mind an international excursion into Canada to meet our old friends in the north!:canada: So anything south of the border would be doable. September sounds good, as every way we can get out of So Cal is blazing hot :scorched: June through August.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 cents, I sure will try to make it, no matter where it happen's to be held. Don't really care where its held. Last year was great !!!

I'm ready to go !! its been RAINING in Seattle for about 2 months now !!! Darn I really need to go for a "" RIDE "" !!!!

Northern Cal, or Oregon, most anyplace would be great !! If in the HOT Season, consider the Pacific Coast, most anyplace along

the coast road, its Cool !!!

Higher Altitudes of the Northern Cal. Mountains is always good !!

• 1 month later...

Haven't heard a thing lately George. This thread's been hi-jacked.... no relation... by a bunch of guys bragging about retirement and ice cream. Besides I think most of the folks in your neighborhood are heading north above the 48. If anything does happen it will probably be a spur of the moment decision. That said Susanville II might be a place?