My dealer told me that as long as you don't change the head pipes rejetting isn't needed. The reason rejetting is needed however is if there is a major difference in how the bike breathes. For example: you put on a k&n air filter,& or a new set of pipes from the engine back. This in turn leans out the mixture causing the cylinders to run very hot. Due to the size of the jets you cannot richen the mixture of fuel/air enough to fix this issue, thus the need to rejet. However if you put on mufflers without baffles, a.k.a. strait pipes, this will also create the need to rejet because there will not be enough back pressure also causing air/fuel mixture problems. This is what I was told when I asked a mechanic at my local dealership. Hope this helps you.:080402gudl_prv:

Guest snake_1962
Does anyone know if it is neccessary to rejet if you add the bub slip ons?I have heard conflicting data.

I put Bub Slip-ons on my 05 TD last year and the only other thing I had to do was plug the AIS. My bike started backfiring whenever I'd shift, I guess when I let off on the throttle. Plugged the AIS and no more problem. Already had K&N air filters, and the milage didn't change but the fun factor went up. Also had a lot of guys ask about the Bubs. They sound GREAT.

Snake:225:

I personally don't use Bub Slip Ons but a good friend of mine does and he loves them... I use the Samson Slash Cuts... and love them... Last year on Rolling Thunder I was at about 42 mpg. This year I have switched over to the NGK Iridum spark plugs... I'll check what my mpg is with these.

Guest Coasty

OK I'll show how stupid I am and ask...what is the AIS? :confused24: Snake_1962 mentioned it in his post. I too have the backfire issue when shifting. Not a big deal but if I could correct it with an easy fix I would.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the page link Freebird. I have only had my '07 RSV since December... I'm still learning tech stuff about it.... but riding the tires off it.... I have almost 10K on the odometer now. Just replaced the rear tire with a Elite 3 and love it!! I sure would like to find out a way to quite the Bub Sleepers a bit though... I've searched for a former thread concerning the baffles and repacking them in the Sleepers, but haven't had any luck as of yet.

Thanks again!

Go to your Stealership and ask for a package of 4 stroke packing material (cost me about $11.00). I just did a set of Bubs on my Tour Deluxe. You only need (1) package, I beleive it was 11" x 16" x 1" white fiberglass. Drill out the rivets on the end caps, remove end caps and baffles. Cut the packing material in (2) equal pieces, wrap around baffle and hold in place w/ some masking tape. Reinstall baffles, put end caps on w/ new rivet and there you go, quieter pipes. Bub told me that they come w/ no packing at all.

By the way, keep an eye on your end caps, the chrome peels easily. They warrant them for up to (1) year. Other than that they sound great.

Will

I also have an 07 RSV and had to get some noise out of the exhaust so I bought and installed Bub Sleepers and K&N air filters. I have had no backfiring but a little popping now and then. Not bad, but I think when I get some time I will plug the AIS system. I haven't wrapped the baffles yet as I am not getting much complaining from my wife about the noise.

My exhaust was doing the same popping and spitting when I had the stock mufflers on.:080402gudl_prv:

I have had the BUB slip-ons, K&N air filters, and Dyna 3000 set on curve 2 for two seasons now with no rejetting. I got the odd pop on shift until a good carb sync was done, none after that. AIS is not plugged. I pull an Aspen Classic tent trailer (about 500 lbs loaded) and have had no lean condition symptoms. Also gas mileage did not suffer, actually a slight improvement. I am at 3500 feet so if you are nearer to sea level you may not have the same results. Higher altitude effectively richens the mixture due less air density. Good Luck!

TD... I bought a package of baffle packing today and plan on installing it on my Sleepers this weekend. What kind of rivet did you use to reinstall the caps, steel or aluminum? I sure hope it quiets the pipes down a bit so it will make my 2 up rider happier ...

:fingers-crossed-emo