IGNORED

Clutch Question 99

Guest FAKSR

Guest FAKSR

I am going to replace my clutch. I know they are not that expensive, but do I have to replace the steel plates as well as the friction plates? Is Barnett much better? I am just planning to go with stock.

Thanks,

Fred

No need for the steel plates. Go with the Yamaha factory fiber discs.

Have you read Tartan Terror's article about upgrading your clutch?

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10518&highlight=clutch+upgrade

As for the clutch spring, I would go with Barnett if you plan on keeping the bike for awhile, if you don't plan on having the bike for more than 30,000 more miles, Factory spring will be OK.

You can also contact the fine folks at http://www.pcwracing.net/featured.htm and they'll sell ya the a stiffer spring. They'll also sell ya the fiber discs with an extra disc and the upgraded spring in one nifty little package so you're now ordering from 2 different places.

Guest FAKSR

If I go for the upgrade, is it just one more friction plate? Do I need to put the retaining wire back. Do you need a new clutch spring?

Thanks again for your help..

Fred

If I go for the upgrade, is it just one more friction plate? Do I need to put the retaining wire back. Do you need a new clutch spring?

Thanks again for your help..

Fred

You do not put the retaining ring back, you throw it away along with the half disc. Most of the time, the fiber discs are not worn very much in our clutches. The reason our clutches slip is because the spring has become weakened through usage.

So, YES, you need to replace the clutch spring.

Some have even replaced ONLY the clutch spring to have the clutch work like new again.

No need for the steel plates. Go with the Yamaha factory fiber discs.

Have you read Tartan Terror's article about upgrading your clutch?

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10518&highlight=clutch+upgrade

As for the clutch spring, I would go with Barnett if you plan on keeping the bike for awhile, if you don't plan on having the bike for more than 30,000 more miles, Factory spring will be OK.

You can also contact the fine folks at http://www.pcwracing.net/featured.htm and they'll sell ya the a stiffer spring. They'll also sell ya the fiber discs with an extra disc and the upgraded spring in one nifty little package so you're now ordering from 2 different places.

Forrest is right on the money, call John Ganey at PCW and order the kit. It's inexpensive and works great, I have replaced 3, 2nd gen clutches with this kit and they work perfectly!

As far as wrenching yourself, I watched Rich99 do his clutch last summer and it's pretty straight forward. The only thing that gave us a bit of a problem was the exhaust header getting in the way of removing the bottom clutch cover allen screws without pulling the intire exhaust off. We found that if you just loosen the exhaust mounting bolts a bit you can get a ball end allen wrench in there and remove the screws. Thought this might help when the time comes...?? Or not???

Condor,

The trick to those 3 bottom primary cover bolts is to take a regular 5mm allen wrench and cut the short end off (with a dremmel with a cut-off wheel) leaving about 3/8". This will allow you enough room to get behind the exhaust and loosen them up. Then with the long end of a ball end allen, you can take them out to the point you can finish up with your fingers. In fact the entire cover will come off without draining the oil by leaving the bike on the side stand.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Condor,

The trick to those 3 bottom primary cover bolts is to take a regular 5mm allen wrench and cut the short end off (with a dremmel with a cut-off wheel) leaving about 3/8". This will allow you enough room to get behind the exhaust and loosen them up. Then with the long end of a ball end allen, you can take them out to the point you can finish up with your fingers. In fact the entire cover will come off without draining the oil by leaving the bike on the side stand.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Looks like you've even come up with a better way Rick. Since it was our first time on a 2ndGen, it was trial and error. We don't have that problem on a 1stGen.... :)

• 4 years later...