IGNORED

Need some Trike Advice

Guest CJVenture

Guest CJVenture

For those who have not met me (well, I haven't been exactly over-active) my name is Charlie (yep, another one). Anyway I bought a new 06 Midnight Venture last spring, and I am loving it, except that I find it a bit too much to handle when loaded 2-up.

I am 68, beed riding since I was 14, but now the old legs seem to object trying to balance over a thousand pounds of motorcycle, so as I see it my only SAFE options are to sell Midnight or trike it. Well, I had the bike out for a ride today and now the answer is obvious: anything but sell the bike!

I have been in contact with Tri-Wing and I'm pretty well sold on their kits, but I would like some opinions, like, am I biting off too much to chew by planning to do it myself? How much time does it take? Are there any special skills/tools required?

I should also mention I am planning to retire in June or July (second time) so obviously finances are a consideration. But the bottom line is, I am JUST NOT READY TO GIVE UP MY MOTORCYCLE!

By the way, I had a 1st Gen, an '87 that I bought new in Halifax, Nova Scotia. I sold it here in Raleigh in 1998 here in Raleigh, NC where we live now. And NO, I will NOT enter into the 1st Gen vs. 2nd Gen fracus! I loved my 1st Gen, and I love my Midnight!

Thanks in advance for any advice/help/warnings.

Charlie

Charlie, My first question would be,do you have any help?I guess you could do it yourself but sure would be a lot better with two people.I did mine and had some help with getting the rearend in place and other things like setting the body on the frame about 20 times making sure everything lines up.The bigest problem I had was getting the driveshaft cut and welded.Then you need someone to paint the body.You will need to wire lights,bleed the brakes,extend the exhaust and that is about it.I am 62 and not in great health so there is no way I could have done the job myself.Hope this will help.You can PM if you like and I could answer any other questions you have.Jerry M:080402gudl_prv:

Guest CJVenture

I appreciate the reply, JerryM. I guess one could say I don't really have help, at least not immediate help, except for my wife. My son lives about an hour away so he could help with "planned" incidents like putting the rear end/axle in place, etc. But I do have a couple questions:

About cutting/welding the drive shaft: Are the specs and instructions for dioing this clear? My son is a welder/fabricator and I'm sure he could handle it if the instructions were clear.

As for painting I think I would just take it to a body shop and try to get my paint matched (midnight venture), or maybe just paint it black. Would that work?

I take it from your comments that there was a lot of "persnickety" stuff like trial and error fitting of the body. I suppose that's to be expected, but having been through it are there any hints or tips on minimizing that?

Of course the big question: are you happy with the result? Oh yes, did you install the steering mod? If not, how does it steer?

Thanks again for your reply,

Charlie

Charlie, let me see if I can answer some of your questions.First the cutting/welding instructions are clear.You will need to grind a ring out of your stock drive shaft housing for clearance.You can purchase the proper paint for your bike from COLOR-RITE.I have not done any steering mods,it takes a few days riding to get use to the trike I know the first trip I took around the block made me wonder,did I ruin a perfect motorcycle, you need to work with the amount of air you run in the tires,air bags,and stock mono shock that will make the trike work. The trike works great on the highway I tow a trailer and you can run 70+ mph and steer with one hand.I posted a couple pics. on the trike forum yesterday if you want to see what the 2nd.gen. kits look like.If you decide to go with TRI-Wing they are great people to work with.When I got my kit it was only the third one they had done,so I had to make a few changes which now you will not have to make.Mike on the forum here got his kit after mine and they had all the problems worked out.Hope this will help. Jerry M

Charlie, have you considered the option of putting on a voyager trike kit.

Then you retain the option of a two-wheeler when you are alone and a trike style for 2-up. I have this kit and like the option. Check out my gallery.

www.mtcvoyager.com/

Another Charlie

Guest CJVenture

I have thought about it, Icechip. There is Voyager and another maker whose name I forget just now. I just wasn't sure of the dynamics... how they would corner, what how they act on rough ground, all that sort of thing. You are the first person I have contacted who has actually ridden one, so I would love to hear your comments.

Charlie

CJVenture, Have not ridden a standard trike so I cannot compare the difference in handling. The voyager does require a bit of steering effort in the corners. If you stick with the posted limit for the curve there is no problem. Not sure what you consider rough ground, low speed on a rough gravel road will cause some occilation in the front end, not enough to create any concern. If you concern is rough paved roads at highway speeds there is no problem. We have some of the worst roads in Canada. According to some of the information I read prior to getting mine owners were claiming they could corner faster than when on 2 wheels. I am able to keep up with those I ride with but we aren't racing in the twisties. I am changing to the smaller front tire and hoping that I can experience the same lighter front end that other have gotten on two wheels. If it wasn't for the option of riding on 2 wheels whenever I want I may have gone to the full trike. I believe there is a video on the voyager website that will show some of the handling characteristics.

Charlie

Guest CJVenture

Well, for better or worse, I made my move! I ordered the Insta-trike kit. I looked at to Voyager, but the Insta-Trike promises no reduction in ground clearance, plus it was a little less expensive.

Thanks for all your help, Jerry M and Icechip. I will report on progress when the kit arrives, which should be within two weeks, I'm told.

Charlie

• 3 months later...

just my $.02...

I rode a V* 1100 with a Voyager kit for 30 miles. it was THE WORST thing i have EVER ridden!!!

the "training wheels" bounce over every little bump in the road,

they grab at road-surface changes *AND*

WORST OF ALL - in a corner - the bike leans toward the OUTSIDE OF THE CORNER.

yes - the tires were properly inflated

yes - it was installed by a "professional"

yes - they consulted closely with the manufacturer.

my opinion - the Voyager kits should not be allowed on the road!

Guest CJVenture

I understand where you're coming from, BF...

My 06 RSV has been "triked" now for about 600 miles, so I think I have enough experience to make some comments.

I opted for the Insta-Trike, which I thought was a little better made and finished, but that is just my opinion.

There is no question that my RSV is no longer a motorcycle, in the strict sense of the word. The dynamics, the bahavior while in motion, are totally different. You STEER a trike, you COUNTER STEER a motorcycle. I don't believe I would try cornering a trike, ANY trike, as hard as I have cornered a motorcycle.

Yes, a trike will lean OUT, not IN, just like a cage! That is one of the characteristics of any vehicle that does not lean into a turn. It's called centrifugal force. I believe that a "full" 10,000 dollar plus trike will behave the same way, it's just the nature of the beast.

So the question is, would I recommend one after having used it both on the highway and around town? Actually I did recommend it today!

When your legs are barely long enough to reach the ground, and not strong enough to hold a full size touring bike with two adults aboard, then it's either a trike or not riding at all! If you stand 6 feet tall and are 30 - 50 years old, in good health and don't have arthritis, then don't buy a trike kit - you won't like it.

... two more cents' worth...

Charlie

Charlie

I think you hit the nail on the head.If you are healthy then ride a two wheeler if not and you still want the feeling then Trik it.I have around 4000 miles on mine now and realy enjoy it I just now got all the air presure adjusted and it handles a lot better now.Just thought I would reply to your post.I hope you continue riding.Jerry M