IGNORED

speedo noise

Help. Just getting my new old 1984 on the road and running her around and the speedometer is making a racket. Like it need lubrication at inside or at the cable connection. Ideas?? I looked through the manual and found nothing//

That happened to my '83 on the first overnighter when I first got her. Scared the b-jesus out of me. Kinda like a moan..grown... Finally found that the speedo cable had come unscrewed from the back of the dash cluster. The previous owner had actually put a couple of wraps of electrical tape around it to hold it in place. Why, I don't know?? If you pull the left signal light you can get to it enough to screw it back on. No more moan. BTW it only moaned when it was cold. Once it warmed up a bit it went away.

Mix 50% Lucas and 50% slick 50 Pull the cable give it a thin coat upto about 6 in from the speedo. Over time the lube will works its way UP and lube the bushing and drum so don't go over board. You can hit the back side of the speedo cable connector with a quick shot of WD-40 it will clean any old crud and lube it long enough for the 50/50 to work its way up and do the job for you.

You can hit the back side of the speedo cable connector with a quick shot of WD-40 it will clean any old crud and lube it long enough for the 50/50 to work its way up and do the job for you.

I have to respectfully take issue with this. If the bushing/sleeve/bearing is already squealing, WD40 will only make it worse and it will not last long enough to get any lubricant from the cable into the speedometer. As far as using grease in the bearing area, I have put wheel bearing grease and lithium grease in the bearing and it works fine and lasts a long time. My bike has over 170,000 miles on it and it has been many years and miles since I either put grease down inside the bearing, or used pressure to push grease from the outside and this has been on several bikes that I have done this on.

As far as using thick grease on the cable, no, I don't recommend that. I think the last time I put lube on the cable itself, I used a film of 90w oil and it has also worked for many years.

Randy

I see your point Randy and I'm sure its always worked. More than 1 way to skin a cat. Maybe Pops being an engineer jaded his desire to use thickened oil (grease) in a not ideal application. Grease is designed to thin out from friction of bearing surfaces to provide 360deg lubrication. That is why it is graded for stiffness and temp. As far as WD-40 not lasting long enough it only takes @ normal road speeds one trip to the carry out to push Lucus up the cable. WD-40 is nothing more in my tool box than a penetrate and cleaner. I imagine if you pack enough grease into something it will work. I would be more inclined to use graphite paste myself over grease.

Whatever way you go clean it all up good choose your weapon of choice and drive in peace.

• 2 weeks later...