IGNORED

oil in reservoir bottle

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2008 Venture Royale.

I was doing some basic service/checks and noticed I have sludge in my water reservoir bottle.

Looks like it has been leaking for awhile now ,, can not tell if water is in the oil (engine).

Bike runs great but I did lay it down and it was on its side for awhile (hit a deer).

Is it possible oil got in the water because the bike was on its side for awhile, or is the most likely culprit water pump (as it does look like it has been leaking for a while).

Is a water pump / seals easy to replace or am I off to the Dealer?

Thank you everyone!!

Stuart

To get oil/sludge/milk shake out of the cooling system: Dawn Dishsoap ........ after fixing what leaked over use a good mix of water/Dawn ...warm up engine till thermostat opens than drain and flush with water ...do this 3/4 times and you should be good to go.

We use this on big Diesel Engines and it works great.

I've heard about Dawn doing a good job, but I've also heard that Simple Green will work even better. A lot more expensive if you're flushing out a big diesel, but in our V4's it's tolerable. As soon as I get motivated I'll be going that direction....

Friday I found the sludge in my overflow tank on a pre trip inspection. Dayton bound I was, only left an hour later than I wanted, couldn't get into the storage shed to switch bikes until 6 am.This afternoon I emptied and cleaned the tank, drained the radiator and water pump. I was surprised to see clean antifreeze drain from the pump and radiator. My research here after this afternoons work has me somewhat relieved. I thought a blown head gasket was my problem. Water pump seal, is a relief. Is this $3 Oil Seal part # 93101-10090-00 all that's needed to fix this?

Friday I found the sludge in my overflow tank on a pre trip inspection. Dayton bound I was, only left an hour later than I wanted, couldn't get into the storage shed to switch bikes until 6 am.This afternoon I emptied and cleaned the tank, drained the radiator and water pump. I was surprised to see clean antifreeze drain from the pump and radiator. My research here after this afternoons work has me somewhat relieved. I thought a blown head gasket was my problem. Water pump seal, is a relief. Is this $3 Oil Seal part # 93101-10090-00 all that's needed to fix this?

You'll need a couple of gaskets, two seals...one mechanical an one oil..., a tube of Yamaha caulk or RTV. to get the job done right. The impeller is metal so no need to think about replacing it. Also if you want to see if all the 'shake' is out of the system you'll need to slide the tank back to get to the radiator cap. It doesn't need to be removed just take out the three fasteners and slide the tank back enough to get to the fill cap. The shake is lighter than coolant and floats to the top. That's why you have the stuff up in the neck and overflow. The shake is pretty thick and is forced thru the hose into the overflow when engine temp gets hot. Eventually it will be the only thing in the overflow, and it will also plug the tube. Just depends on how soon you caught the leak.

Dont forget to check the little shaft that passes thru the seal n bearing for wear. Replace if any wear is found. Also use some assembly grease to lightly lube seal/bearing and shaft on reassembly so so shaft to bearing/seal contact is prelubed - dont put together dry.

Also, isnt there a weep hole on the underside of the waterpump case to allow leakage if that seal is bad? I know on the 1st Gens that is the deal. Just like on a car, you loose a water pump seal and the anti freeze comes out a weep hole.. Seems like oil would appear there long before it found it's way into the cooling system thru a bad oil side impellar seal...

Good advise always... I don't think that weep hole works worth a hoot when the oil seal goes. I checked mine and can blow air thru it. The hole comes out behind the bearing. Never got a drop out of it. What I think it's there for is to weep if the coolant seal leaks into the crank case instead of when oil gets into the water pump?? I think??? Maybe????? :confused07: :scratchchin: :think:

• 7 years later...

The Twinkie is the oval part that sits low down between the cylinders. It sits crosswise to the engine...ie...across the gap between the cylinders. 

Besides the water pump, it's the only other place where water and oil come together and you can get a leak. The gasket is simple but tricky to install. 

Download manual from this site.