IGNORED

Hannigan Aux tank?

cecdoo

Would someone with the Hannigan aux fuel tank please explain the steps to pumping gas from aux to front tank? Must petcock be switched a certain way? Where is the pump switch located, must it be turned off when aux tank is empty or is it auto shut off? Anything else a firstimer should know about the aux tank?

Thanks for any help, Craig

Craig, This is how mine works. Petcock is out of the picture. Pump switch is on left side of handlebars. Indicator on switch is "green" when not pumping. Be sure aux tank is full before you need it

(about 5 gallons). With engine running and fuel gauge down to about two bars press down on switch. Indicator goes "red". Occasionally watch fuel gauge to check for full tank. When all fuel

gauge bars are visible, press switch and insure that indicator goes "green". My setup has no automatic shutoff, so full tank can overflow. Important to shut off switch when main tank is full. Letting

pump run on an empty tank may damage the aux pump.

FYI, Carbon_One has a mod that allows pulling fuel from either fuel tank directly. This avoids the overflow problem. Good luck! Leo

Don't know how the Hannigan tank is mounted, but on my standard Venture with an aux tank mounted on the pillion seat location, I don't need a pump. Put a T in the fuel line just after the petcock. Reach around and turn on the valve to the aux tank and then turn off the main tank at the petcock. Run until the aux tank is dry. When the engine begins to sputter, turn on the petcock and then reach around and turn off the aux tank valve.

This only works if the aux tank is above the OEM located fuel pump (I think).

RR

My Hannigan aux tank switch is mounted on the tank left side next to the ignition cover. (I put it there). I leave my petcock in the ON position all the time. When my fuel gauge starts show the F and mileage count, I press the switch and it begins pumping from the aux to the main. Takes about 5-10 minutes. WATCH YOUR FUEL GAUGE!!! I have forgotten it a couple of times and it overflowed gas down the tank saturating my crotch (yucckkkkk!). What I normally do is place my left hand over the switch to remind me to keep an eye on it. A couple of overflows into your Levi's halfway thru a ride is not all that pleasant. It does provide my riding buddies with a bit of gleeful conversation during lunch however.

WATCH YOUR FUEL GAUGE!!! I have forgotten it a couple of times and it overflowed gas down the tank saturating my crotch (yucckkkkk!). What I normally do is place my left hand over the switch to remind me to keep an eye on it. A couple of overflows into your Levi's halfway thru a ride is not all that pleasant.

This is why I wait untill I've traveled about 30 miles after the low fuel light comes on. That insures I have room to hold the entire contents of the aux tank. If I forget to turn the pump off, the engine starts to sputter when air is injected into the fuel line.

Yes, many times I've traveled through high traffic areas and forget to watch fuel gauge. Bike will start sputtering, and I just turn on the pump. Trike responds almost immediately to

the addition of fuel. Still watch for full tank indication while driving, and then turn pump off.

Does the tank fill faster if you pull over and shut bike off? Less chance of forgetting switch and overflowing tank?

Craig

Not sure tank fills faster at idle, but engine must be running. When I run out of fuel in high traffic areas, it is usually unsafe to

pull over. Just need to train your brain to focus on the activity at hand.

Hi Don, It would be great to meet you for dinner, but unfortunately I am still in Reading, I rented a car and am leaving around 3am to arrive in Columbus at 10am tomorrow. Hoping to get everything swapped around and be out of there by noon. If all goes well should be home between 7-8pm. Sorry but I wont really have time for much of anything. The weather tomorrow is supposed to be perfect from Columbus to Reading and I plan on taking advantage of it. I have appts. on friday, a wedding on sat. and we leave for a cruise on sunday. Whew I am whopped just thinking about it!! Hope this trike turns out to be worth it.

Craig

Good luck with the new bike Craig. I'm sure you'll have a new love affair riding on 3 wheels.

As for the fuel transferring the guys pretty much covered that. I will add that anyone wanting a better & safer fuel transferring system just let me know. My system works great, just like big trucks do that have dual tanks. Simply toggle a switch to the desired tank.

Larry

Edited by Carbon_One

Would someone with the Hannigan aux fuel tank please explain the steps to pumping gas from aux to front tank? Must petcock be switched a certain way? Where is the pump switch located, must it be turned off when aux tank is empty or is it auto shut off? Anything else a firstimer should know about the aux tank?

Thanks for any help, Craig[/quote\

good info from Leo. Wish I had talked to him BEFORE filling up the first time. I got my trike at around 7:30pm and on my way to work at 10:30 pm I stopped to top off both tanks. I saw the green light on the aux fuel switch and thought the pump was on so switched it to red. I then shut the bike off, filled the tanks. I got back on the trike and started her up.......gas starts flowing out of the main tank and down to the hot pipes...not good parked next to a gas pump. I hit the pump switch back to green, turned trike off and jumped off...was ready to push it into the grass if it caught fire. even after the trike was off, the gas kept flowing out of the tank. That's when I made the dumbest move....I put my key in the gas cap and unlocked it to relieve the pressure. WRONG move.......the cap blew off and gas shot about 15' in all directions. I looked like I took a shower in 87 octane....entire bike covered and even got the cars next to me.........Fortunately, the trike and I didn't catch fire and I was able to get it washed off. It would have been nice if the installer would have explained that GREEN light indicated SAFE or OFF......

Glad you didn't have to experience this the way I did!!

For all the reasons folks have taken a fuel bath is the reason I designed the transfer system I use for the auxiliary tanks. While I do love Hannigan's trikes I do feel they've dropped the ball on this issue as far as safety goes. The potential for a massive fire and perhaps even death is just too great IMHO. When I first did my transfer system I even gave Hannigan my drawings and specifics as too what I use for my auxiliary tanks. Apparently costs and maybe time had over ruled safety concerns. To be fair I have no idea if there has ever been a fire due to over filling a main tank but I do know there's been a lot of "educated" riders who've taken fuel baths. And not just on these RSV either.

So for those of you who have the Hannigan auxiliary fuel systems do be careful & safe while transferring fuel.

Larry

The way I use my aux. tank is I leave the main tank on off and leave the bike pump suck from the aux. tank. When the motor sputters I turn the main tank back to on And away I go.

Like carbon 1 said it is a very poor design & dangerous way of doing things.

Been there done that with turning the aux. pump on with the main tank full.

Hope it doesn't take a lawsuit to get it changed.

Gas allover hot motor tiny spark = KABOOM.

• 2 months later...
Don't know how the Hannigan tank is mounted, but on my standard Venture with an aux tank mounted on the pillion seat location, I don't need a pump. Put a T in the fuel line just after the petcock. Reach around and turn on the valve to the aux tank and then turn off the main tank at the petcock. Run until the aux tank is dry. When the engine begins to sputter, turn on the petcock and then reach around and turn off the aux tank valve.

This only works if the aux tank is above the OEM located fuel pump (I think).

I also plan to mount Aux tank on Pillion location. On my carb equiped VTX with no fuel pump it is on the luggage rack and all gravity feed. So Red Rider on our Ventures (mine is a 2012) we can do the gravity feed trick without an auxiliary fuel pump? It sure makes things easier. I just leave the aux valve open all the time.

Not sure tank fills faster at idle, but engine must be running. When I run out of fuel in high traffic areas, it is usually unsafe to

pull over. Just need to train your brain to focus on the activity at hand.

I have the Hannigan Aux fuel tank setup also. Don't know why the engine has to be running?? I always push the transfer button when I'm off road, engine off and ignition on, open up cap and watch fuel level in main tank. Position of petcock lever doesn't seem to be an issue. But then again, it depends on who your 'Installer' was.

I also plan to mount Aux tank on Pillion location. On my carb equiped VTX with no fuel pump it is on the luggage rack and all gravity feed. So Red Rider on our Ventures (mine is a 2012) we can do the gravity feed trick without an auxiliary fuel pump? It sure makes things easier. I just leave the aux valve open all the time.

Yes, the aux tank will just gravity feed into the fuel line. I close the aux feed once the aux fuel is empty. But, I suppose it doesn't need to be closed.

RR

Thanks.

I made a run on my RSVS @ 75-85 mph (per speedo) from just north of Dallas to Oklahoma City via I-35 yesterday. First time highway speeds for a full tank. I have haven't owned it long. Bought with 650 miles on it and only 6 months since bought new. The reserve light came on at 170 miles, then had to switch the manual reserve at 175. I went another 20 miles. When I filled it up it only took 5 gallons. That was while on a level drive, standing vertical, and after really working at "squeezing" in all I could. On the return the light came on at 136 running about the same but never had to switch manual reserve the remaining 20+ miles. I'll fill it up today as I got home late and the bed sounded better than a fuel stop. I didn't notice much wind. I thought it a bit odd. Oh well, I'll get it figured out. If the Venture is like my VTX the mileage will improve with age.

If I could have made it 200 miles without using the manual reserve I probably would not go with an auxiliary tank. I probably will install one after this experiment. If nothing else for peace of mind on a long ride.