IGNORED

One possible ride at the 2016 International Rally

Freebird

I can almost guarantee this will be in the plan. I hate to speak for Chuck... but he knows this road and I would be very surprised if not included. If he doesn't include this... follow me as I will not miss the chance to ride this road again while there. :)

The Smoke Hole Canyon is a very scenic ride. There is a nice somewhat primitive campground at the end of the canyon, but it requires several miles of riding on a gravel/dirt road off of the main road.

As nice as this road is... I think you all will find other roads very fun and scenic.

I can almost guarantee this will be in the plan. I hate to speak for Chuck... but he knows this road and I would be very surprised if not included. If he doesn't include this... follow me as I will not miss the chance to ride this road again while there. :)

The Smoke Hole Canyon is a very scenic ride. There is a nice somewhat primitive campground at the end of the canyon, but it requires several miles of riding on a gravel/dirt road off of the main road.

As nice as this road is... I think you all will find other roads very fun and scenic.

Gotta ask, if you go to 6:30 in the first Vid (the one your speaking of Gary) you will seeing folks camping - is this area a National forest where pull off camping is allowed?

All AWESOME rides = BEEEAAUUTIFUL!!!:clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool:

Scott, Smoke Hole Road falls within The Seneca Rocks National Recreation Area which I believe is in fact part of the Monongahela National Forest. Not sure what the situation is with primitive camping as that is not something we do. Most of that entire region, including Canaan Resort lies with the Monongahela NF.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mnf/recarea/?recid=9915

If you did dry camp along Smoke Hole Rd... that would put you about 40 driving miles from Canaan Resort where most others would be staying.

Scott, Smoke Hole Road falls within The Seneca Rocks National Recreation Area which I believe is in fact part of the Monongahela National Forest. Not sure what the situation is with primitive camping as that is not something we do. Most of that entire region, including Canaan Resort lies with the Monongahela NF.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mnf/recarea/?recid=9915

If you did dry camp along Smoke Hole Rd... that would put you about 40 driving miles from Canaan Resort where most others would be staying.

So, what your saying Gary is it would take the group of about 100 VR International riders a couple hours to get my camping spot.. Just about perfect for Tip and I to wake up, pack Tweeks, build a camp fire and have the fire in perfect shape for all of us to roast hot dogs for lunch before we jump inline and bring up the rear to take some half baked video's of my buddies riding those awesome roads..

Sound about right? :big-grin-emoticon:

THANK YOU for the link my brother!!!:thumbsup:

Puc

You better be packing!!!! ...if you plan on camping....

Wild life is abundant and bears are often seen through out the area, so make sure you place candy bars, honey, and lots of sweets about 5 to 7 campsites away from yours, then sit back and watch the action..

:stickpoke::rotf::beer::banana::080402gudl_prv:

Eck and Gary I thank you both for the videos. Both roads are in the plans for the IR. I was going to get with both of you to see what your thoughts were on them and rt 72 out of Parsons should be in there somewhere.

Oh heck yea, route 72 is a must ride for all who attend the rally. Another beautiful road to ride.

Here is a sneak preview =

Here is a day ride that includes 72 if you are interested. We start off by riding a good section of the well known "corridor" then head south to Cabins picking up Smoke Hole Rd taking it south to Hwy 220 staying south to Hwy 33 west through Seneca rocks and over to Hwy 32 north to Hwy 72 west to 219 north/east back to Canaan Valley

Hope this works:https://goo.gl/maps/skvCsbrCjQo

If you choose to ride this route "clockwise from Canaan Valley, then we would ride the corridor from the west to the east which is opposite of the following video. Either way, the scenery is fantastic..:

Part 1 =

Part 2 = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tphez8MWZcc

Edited by Eck

Oh heck yea, route 72 is a must ride for all who attend the rally. Another beautiful road to ride.

Here is a sneak preview =

Here is a day ride that includes 72 if you are interested. We start off by riding a good section of the well known "corridor" then head south to Cabins picking up Smoke Hole Rd taking it south to Hwy 220 staying south to Hwy 33 west through Seneca rocks and over to Hwy 32 north to Hwy 72 west to 219 north/east back to Canaan Valley

We can ride this route https://goo.gl/maps/AWW8ejJBGnQ2

Or we can ride this route which includes RT 42 suggested by Slowroll: https://goo.gl/maps/noMfRU8xGQ62 (Note: This route cuts out riding the corridor.)

If you choose to ride this route "clockwise from Canaan Valley, then we would ride the corridor from the west to the east which is opposite of the following video. Either way, the scenery is fantastic..:

Part 1 =

Part 2 = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tphez8MWZcc

Eck that is definetly a nice ride but with a large group it may be too long. What I was thinking if from the lodge to Petersburg by way of Smoke Hole Road then rt 42 to Scherr and then a short ride on the " H" back into Thomas then 219 to parsons and then 72 back to the lodge. And check out Lance Ridge road from Aurora ,wv to St. George, wv and let me know what you think.

Edited by Eck

(Quote) - Eck that is definetly a nice ride but with a large group it may be too long. What I was thinking if from the lodge to Petersburg by way of Smoke Hole Road then rt 42 to Scherr and then a short ride on the " H" back into Thomas then 219 to parsons and then 72 back to the lodge. And check out Lance Ridge road from Aurora ,wv to St. George, wv and let me know what you think

Hey my friend, please don't think I'm taking over. This is YOUR gig, not mine.

You go ahead and plan the rides as you wish or how you feel comfortable with. I'll ride what ever you plan with you no matter what.

Just a little food for thought: The above ride I planned is only 4.5 hours long and 176 miles and this is with out any stops along the way. I know we will be making stops for lunch and views.

If you feel this ride is to long of a ride then maybe give thought to splitting the group up.

Those who want to ride the 4.5 hours / 176 miles can go with who-ever leading (which I will offer to do to help you) and those who want a lesser time / mileage route can ride with you or whoever leads the ride that you are thinking of.

I will do whatever you ask me to, in hopes of helping you, not to over take this task. :happy34::twing:

Nope that's the Elk River Road. Another Good one. Then there is the Little Kanawha River. The Cranberry River. The Poca River. The Coal river. The Mud River. The Cherry River. The Kanawha River. The Big Sandy River. The Little Sandy River. The Guyandotte River. The Greenbrier River. The Cheat River. And a few others. Bad rides??? I cain't think of any right now....:Avatars_Gee_George: