IGNORED

08 RSV - fuel pump check out

Can someone please check my logic here??

My 08 RSV runs at idle just fine. However, out on the highway, it starts to sputter...clearly seems like a fuel issue.

Here's what I've done thus far:

1) Changed the fuel filter, starts fine, idles fine, but sputters pretty badly in 3rd gear.

2) Pulled the hose from the filter, going to the carb, turned the ignition on...the fuel pump clicks for probably 5 seconds, and maybe a teaspoon of fuel goes into my catch container. Seems like while the pump is energized, I should be getting a fair amount of fuel into my catch container. Not sure what to make of this....

The odd thing is, when I switch the ignition on, the fuel pump clicks "like normal" then stops...after the fuel pump stops clicking, I start the bike like normal.

In the past, I assumed that the clicking of the fuel pump was filling the carb bowls, and when the bowls were full, the fuel pump stopped clicking.

Now, I can turn the key off, then back on again, and hear the same 5 second clicking...regardless of how many times I turn the key off and on.

Not sure where to go from here.

Any thoughts here?

Sounds like the points in the fuel pump is shutting off to soon. The pump should keep pumping all the time if you have the line off because it will shut off when pressure is felt by the spring on the points . Something inside of the pump is not work right. You can rebuild it yourself very easy to do . I did mine and works great now

You have a fuel flow problem - clogged strainer, clogged fuel filter, or kinked/plugged fuel line. You definitely should be seeing more than a teaspoon in 5 seconds of open line pumping. And no, the pump will NOT run continually when the line is open - there is a timeout just like there is a pressure switch to shut it off.

Everything you describe almost sounds like your pump is just fine - the problem is the fuel supply TO to the pump (if there was an obstruction after the pump, the pressure switch would shut it off quickly). I said "almost" because step 2 does not make any sense. I'm pretty sure that the fuel filter is BEFORE the fuel pump, so you cannot pull the line from the filter going to the carbs. You need to pull the line off the carb inlet to check the flow through the fuel pump. In a normal situation, the carbs are pumped full during the first key cycle of the day, then after that, turning the key off and back on does not generate any clicking because the carbs are still full. Your carbs are never filling.

Goose

Pull the hose off the pump on the side that goes to carbs. Sounds like you have done this once. Then get you some gas in a clean container, maybe a butter tub or something say a cup or so. Then shut petcock off and remove hose from the petcock. Put the hose from petcock in the container and turn key on and see if pump will pick up more fuel for longer. If it dont then could be a split hose somewhere and would act like a vacum leak.