IGNORED

87 Venture motor in an early model RSTD,, any one know of the swap possibilities?

cowpuc

So, I got this 87 (I think thats what it is, may be an 86) Mk2 with a good motor in it sitting in the garage.. Plan was to do some repair on it (needs LOTS of electrical work). As time goes on with all this health stuff I am dealing with the making it rideable idea seems to be fading away.. I recently got into a discussion with a guy at our local bike time event about him buying/using the motor out of it to liven up his early model RSTD. Of course, the questions (which I could not answer) began to roll leaving me :think:

Anyone know if:

Mounts line up?

Carbs height the same = will the MK2 carbs fit under frame rails (never worked on an RSTD)?

Exhaust ports the same so the RSTD headers will line up?

Drive shaft/swing arm mount the same?

I also told him that the TCI on the 87 would have to be implemented on his 96, meaning there may be other devices that would have to be transferred?

Told him I would ask around here (said he had heard of VR but never checked us out - maybe he will now) and see if one of you lop eared varmints had ever done such a swap.. Actually sounds like a lot of fun, I guess those early RSTD's were substantially detuned - being so, seems like a good running 1st Gen motor with all the fixings may be just the ticket:biker:

Thoughts? Opinions? Pro's? Con's? Counsel? Got a true life story to tell? Recipes for cookies? Pictures of your grandkids?

This is a hijack approved zone:rotf:

Edited by cowpuc
spelled "there" "their" and something just didnt seem right

heads are different, exhaust ports at different angles, exhaust will not mount up. first gen ties diagonal cylinders, second gen ties both on same side.

The RSTD "fins" will not mount to the first gen cylinders. fins have 3 bolts in a triangle, first gen trim only 2 screws.

The only thing really different on the early RSTD is smaller carbs. later second gen boots and carbs should be direct swap. Not sure if first gen carbs direct swap or not.

why force the old TCI when second gen DYNA 3000 is a top notch upgrade?

Later carbs and a vmax gear should be a lot easier than making a first gen engine work.

Pegscraper has the experience upgrading an early RSTD.

Edited by OutKast

The only guy I can think of that could answer this is Gary (user name dingy). He was swapping either a v-max motor or a older older Venture Royale motor into an Royal Star. He had a thread about this swap but I just can not find it.

So, I got this 87 (I think thats what it is, may be an 86)

Apparently, you have never submitted the VIN of this Venture to me. Would you? And the build date. Also, just to confirm the frame and engine combo is original, check the engine number, too. Thanks.

Oh, and color and mileage would be nice.