IGNORED

Our new home

b2dad

Picked up our new home today. A 2016 Keystone Montana 41' 5th wheel. Can't wait to get on the road with her. We reserved a camping spot at Lakeside for the International rally. Will be canceling our room at the Comfort Suites if anyone still needs a room.

Montana 2.jpgMontana 3.jpgLR.jpgrecliners.jpgfridge.jpgking bed.jpgbedroom closet.jpg

Thats actually bigger than the first trailer my wife and I rented when we PCS to Oklahoma. I'm surprised its only a tandem axle. We went to the RV show this winter in Tampa and looked around and dreamed. Saw some excellent 5th wheel toy haulers we really liked, but worth more than my house, plus I'd have to buy a newer truck. MAN they got some nice rigs now. Big prices on some of them too, but if ya got no house payment...... Enjoy it sounds like fun.

Get ready for lots and lots of modifications....lol!

Our 35 footer has lots of changes post purchase. Most to make it more convenient.

Racks, holders, macerator pump, led lighting, honda generator, etc.

We also upgraded things like the faucets (they're usually cheap plastic) to standard house ones, an "oxegenator" shower heads (more pressure with less water for low pressure camp grounds) and I re-plumbed most of the trailer as it was a chinese pex knockoff instead of the real pex.

I've known guys who spend long term travel in their rigs that have just "dumped" the combined audo/video head units in these rigs for regular dvd players and stereos. Jensen and the likes are not exactly "high end" and when watching a movie they want the comforts/quality of home.

get yourself some "x-chocks" and "linx leveling blocks". Worth their weight in gold IMHO.

5th wheels have the "basement" so you've got a place for sewage hose storage, but you're still going to want some bins to keep them in. You'll want a couple lengths of sewage hose and something to couple them because no matter how much hose you have, it always seems you're juuust that little bit short to the dump point. I like the "rhino hose". Avoid the cheap thin blue plastic hoses. Get a couple boxes of disposable gloves, for obvious reasons. You're going to want a drinking water hose and make sure you get a separate hose for flushing the septic. Keep those septic hoses separate from everything else; both the sewage lines and the flushing hose.

Let your septic and grey water fill a bit before dumping. The reason is you want some liquid to keep the "pyramid" from forming in the tank and some volume to flush it out. You're level indicators will eventually stop indicating properly, it's filth on the sensors. I just chuck a bag of ice in the tank before we drive to the next spot. The cubes scrape the sides clean and melt on the way. Then when i dump it, it's just water.

I also recommend you look at the "max air" roof vent covers. I have them and they're worth every penny. The let me keep the roof vents open in rain when stationary or moving. They cover the vents and keep the wind from ripping them off, especially traveling down the road. I leave the roof vents open when traveling so the trailer isn't smoking hot when We first stop. It also keeps it fresh inside.

If you're traveling a lot and long distance, you may want to consider "pinning" your awning shut. I've done it to mine. I've seen one to many trailers pull in to the camp ground where the power awning failed and allowed it to roll out on the highway. Results are not pretty.....:yikes:

Edited by Great White

WOW ZZZZZ WOW WOW WOW IS THAT GORGEOUS PATTI AND DON!!!! CONGRATS TO BOTH OF YOU!!! Looking forward to bumping into you folks out on the highways and biways! Drive safe and enjoy the gorgeous path of living large that lies before you!!!

Awesome,, just plain awesome!!:thumbsup:

You're going to be very comfortable in that rig. Great White offers sound advice. We bought a 36 ft Keystone Laredo last year to use as our winter home in Florida. We're very comfortable in it for 4 to 4 1/2 months a year. The first thing we did was trash the original mattress and replace it with a memory foam unit. I had to add a couple of electric outlets. If you haven't done it yet, I would suggest you give the roof a good inspection to make sure everything is sealed well from the factory. Here's our trailer http://www.traynorphoto.com/laredo

What are you pulling that monster with?

Dennis

thanks everyone. Appreciate the sentiments. We hope to have many happy times in this over the next several years.

Ragtop: Yes it has a kitchen. Not sure how I missed posting that photo. Will post later.

Midrsv: Your winter home is beautiful. Keystone makes some really nice units. They must have got a good deal on the "wall paper" as we have that same pattern too!!! Same with the countertops.

Great White: You make alot of good points. We have had lots of different campers thru the years but this is our first 5th wheel. The faucets in this one are already upgraded and not plastic. We have the chocks and leveling blocks on our list, as well as the sewer hose (the good one), something to keep it off the ground (as required in state parks), drinking water hose, the special toilet paper, water pressure regulator, 50 to 30 amp adapter, 30-15 amp adapter, and some wheel covers. We purchased a surge protector already. That was a MUST.

We will definitely look into the max air roof vent covers. Good idea. We were told this unit has a "stirrer" in the black water holding tank so it doesn't need "rinsing" out. We will see. Gloves are a definite!!! LOLOL.

"Downsizing" is an issue right now with me. I know I can't take much with us so I just have to decide what is important and what is not. Will figure it out.

We will test this out at the International Rally. Hope to see everyone there!!! Y'all let me know if you have any other suggestions for us. All are welcome!

Patti and Don

PS. We purchased a 1 ton Dodge dually to pull it.

Patti

Ok that answered one question I had. Here's the next one - - - Where does the Beemer go?? As I remember, you bought that to drive after you bought a motor home. Somehow I just don't see it fitting in thru the back door:crackup:. My mum was giving a 38 ft. 5th wheel a serious look last year. The Beemer would have fit in that one as it had one of the largest toy hauling areas I've ever seen in an RV and one that was completely separate from the living area.

FYI the standard Scott 1000 sheet toilet paper will work just fine. We lived in a travel trailer full time for over 3 years and had no problems with it. Also check on how your awning is secured once it is down.We did not have ours tied down and it blew off in a storm that hit while we were away from home.

PS the Big Beastie is doing just fine. I had it detailed at the ROT Rally last month. It LOOKED good, that is until I got it home and my muddy pawed putty tats got all over it as usual. Plans are in the works for a 3 car garage on the place so it will be completely under cover instead of just having a bike cover on it. The cats like those as they can not only get on top of it for a great place to crash but under it as well when the weather gets iffy which it's been doing a VERY great deal this year :rain2:. It's one reason why my 650 has a ripped up seat on it and also why I don't have the "new" seats mounted!