IGNORED

Mystifying charging problem!

Hi everyone, I have a mind boggling charging issue with my 86'.

Just now getting the bike back on the road after a bunch of upgrades. New stator from Rick's, Shindegen RR, Dingy's Czech TCI, new battery and a bunch of others. I've ridden the bike about 65 miles since doing all this. So my issue...

When cold and for about 10 minutes into warm up, the charging gauge is nice and strong, around 14.5-15,even at idle. Then something happens and the gauge goes down to 12 and sits there. I rode 40 miles waiting to see if it was going to croak and it never did. I got back and immediately started taking readings.

25ishV at all 3 stator leads@idle, 55-65or so at 3k+. Reconnected everything and at idle voltage at battery was 12.4. Increasing RPM makes minimal change. Now I'm thinking the RR is bad. Disconnect the RR leads from the battery and measure with the bike idling, 14.5-15. Disconnect all my accessories from battery(nicely organised in their own fuse holder) so now only the stock pos and negative leads and pos/neg from the Shindegen are hooked up. Still not charging. Now I'm thinking my brand new gel battery is bad. Swapped a different, fully charged Odyssey PC680 and same thing; no charging. it was about 12.7 or so.

I can only speculate that there is a bad ground somewhere that happens as the bike heats up. When the gauge does drop into the warm up its right away. Also, the RR was really warm when I returned from the ride. I have it in the left side cover where the tape deck used to be and the cover is off right now so there's plenty of air getting in.

What do you guys think? I'm stumped!

Thanks in advance,

John

With the bike warm to where you have lost charging, measure AC voltage from each of the stator wires to ground with the stator not connected to the RR. If you get anything other than zero volts the stator windings are grounding when it gets warm. You can also do the same check with the bike warm, engine off and check resistance on the highest ohms scale from each of the stator wires to ground. it should be infinite resistance.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't the RR ground via its mounting bolts? By having in the fairing wouldn't it be reasonable to assume it not grounded properly. I guess it would depend on how and where it was bolted down. My one and only experience with a RR over heating was when the ground was inadequate.