IGNORED

1962 BSA 650 Super Rocket

Midicat

So I was into an upholstery guy this morning to see about getting a new top installed on Sally's summer toy (1988 VW Cabriolet Convertible) and we got to talking about older cars and how breaking bolts and plastic can be a challenge. I mentioned that I ride a 1985 Yamaha venture royale and he promptly said that I should take a look at his bike in the back. That's when he proudly revealed his 1962 BSA 650 Super Rocket. Completely rebuilt, factory specs and is thinking about selling it for the right price. He also shared with me that he just purchased a new Harley. (we all make mistakes). It's not officially for sale but I am sure he would be willing to talk about parting with it. I just thought I would share this with you guys in case someone might be interested.

Thomas

The BSA 650 lighting was one of my dream bikes.

That was the first "big bike" I ever rode. I was very inexperienced at the time, gave it too much gas, popped the clutch and .... up came the front wheel and straight into a power pole I went! LOL

Wonder if @stickhandle2 has seen this,, he and I were just chatting about the old Beezers - he and I LOVE those old Brit bikes!! Hey Midi, THANK YOU for posting this, if ya happen to get back by that shop and the guy would let you :photographing: a few it would be fun to see it!! All my :mo money:snuck off during a recent Wedding and keeping on top of medical bills BUT - still always a pleasure to read about those old bikes..

Thanks again!!:clap2:

I have a 1968 BSA Royal Star in am restoring. That is the 500cc single carb version of the motor used in the 650 Lightning. The Super Rocket is actually the motor before the A65/A50 unit motor. The Super Rocket would be an A10 motor,seperate engine/Transmission. That would be a very nice bike to have. What color was it midicat?

Edited by Pegasus1300

Wonder if @stickhandle2 has seen this,, he and I were just chatting about the old Beezers - he and I LOVE those old Brit bikes!! Hey Midi, THANK YOU for posting this, if ya happen to get back by that shop and the guy would let you :photographing: a few it would be fun to see it!! All my :mo money:snuck off during a recent Wedding and keeping on top of medical bills BUT - still always a pleasure to read about those old bikes..

Thanks again!!:clap2:

What Puc said pictures.......after going to the Vintage Bike Rally on Saturday, the desire to pick up an Brit bike is pretty big. I have found a few interesting ones on kijiji up here but need more......

We all would love some pics of that bike Thomas or if he has it listed somewhere would be good info.

Thanks,

Mike

I have a 1968 BSA Royal Star in am restoring. That is the 500cc single carb version of the motor used in the 650 Lightning. The Super Rock is actually the motor before the A65/A50 unit motor. The Super Rocket would be an A10 motor,seperate engine/Transmission. That would be a very nice bike to have. What color was it midicat?

Paul

Growing up a buddy of mine had a 70 Triumph Daytona and I remember the first time I rode it, was I ever messed up with the shifter on the right and brake on the left. For the locals to Southern Ontario we were riding through the Forks of the Credit at the time and it was an adventure on the Daytona.

Mike

Edited by stickhandle2
typing too fast and not reading what you type

For those of you who would like to see photos of this beauty, I will be returning in one week to drop off the Cabriolet. I will endeavour to get some pics to post here along with the asking price. If I recall, she was black and chrome tank with black side covers. Stay tuned.

Thomas

I have a 1968 BSA Royal Star in am restoring. That is the 500cc single carb version of the motor used in the 650 Lightning. The Super Rock is actually the motor before the A65/A50 unit motor. The Super Rocket would be an A10 motor,seperate engine/Transmission. That would be a very nice bike to have. What color was it midicat?

You are correct Paul, the engine and transmission are separate. He rode it regularly as recently as last season.

Thomas

Didnt somewhere around 70 the US gov make Britt bikes put the shift/brake stuff on the same side as everyone else? I seem to remember riding a friends twin Triumph and it had correct controls. I want to say actually the way they did it was cross over linkages under the bike. Now the 250 Bultaco I took off flyiing down a trail on and didnt remember the bacwards controls, thats a different out come.

Didnt somewhere around 70 the US gov make Britt bikes put the shift/brake stuff on the same side as everyone else? I seem to remember riding a friends twin Triumph and it had correct controls. I want to say actually the way they did it was cross over linkages under the bike. Now the 250 Bultaco I took off flyiing down a trail on and didnt remember the bacwards controls, thats a different out come.

I believe it was 1975 that the feds made them change. Maybe 74.

I had a 1962 Triumph Thunderbird with right side shift. My Bultacos and Montesa have right side shift. If my memory serves, most everyone used right side shift because the Europeans knew that the body coordinated best when cross limbs were employed ie. left foot, right hand. Mr. Honda didn't agree, and with the millions of bikes he was importing, the US decided to standardize to the left side shift.

This is what an old time dealer/racer told me many decades ago.

You are correct Paul, the engine and transmission are separate. He rode it regularly as recently as last season.

Thomas

Probably sounds strange but I have ALWAYS loved the looks of that old style, way prettier than the newer modular stuff (just looks to "boxy" to me).. Just something about all those cool aluminum engine lines that make me :178:,, I am a goofy varmint...

I had a 1962 Triumph Thunderbird with right side shift. My Bultacos and Montesa have right side shift. If my memory serves, most everyone used right side shift because the Europeans knew that the body coordinated best when cross limbs were employed ie. left foot, right hand. Mr. Honda didn't agree, and with the millions of bikes he was importing, the US decided to standardize to the left side shift.

This is what an old time dealer/racer told me many decades ago.

Muskegon's bike club had a flat track not to far from where I grew up.. I used to love playing on the track and gotta say - those old right side shift bike's were way easier to flat track because of the shifter on the right = use tranny for braking.. Not sure if there is any validity to this thought or not but I have a hunch that the early sporties (see pic of my 59 below - I left it right side when I chopped it cause I liked right side) were right side because of there tie to flat tracking = HD was BIG into competition on the tracks back then,,, just a guess though..

Sold the 59 a few years ago, still have a brand new set of forward control change overs for it that I just could not put on it cause I loved that old right side shifter..

ti3 (84).JPG

ti3 (180).JPG

ti3 (177).JPG

OK so I'll throw 2 more legends into the mix. Most Europeans (BMW Zundapp the Italians,Cechs,etc etc) had left side shift 'cause they drove on the right. The Brits had right side shift 'cause they drove on the left. I don't know what the Spanish excuse was. When Harley came out with the Sportster, it was in direct competition with the Brits,thus most of their buyers would be coming from from a right shift bike so they wanted to make the transition as easy as possible. The shift from right to left started started when the Feds forced all car manufacturers to standardize shift quadrants if they wanted a govt contract. Soon after they started on bikes.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here ya go. As promised...pics of the 1962 BSA Super Rocket. Bike was ridden as recently as last season. Completely rebuilt and top drawer from top to bottom. Spoke with the owner a length and has told me that the initial asking price will be $6500.00 Canadian dollars. Considering the condition, it's a good price when you factor in buying something cheaper and having to spend a couple or few thousand dollars to get it where this bike currently sits. Start your drooling. Anyone seriously interested should PM me for contact name & number. Bike is located in Woodstock Ontario.

Thomas

20150707_090442.jpg

20150707_090404.jpg

20150707_090418.jpg

20150707_090424.jpg

20150707_090435.jpg