IGNORED

coolant bypass pipe leak

Hi everyone, I recently got my 86' strapped back together and have aa leak where the bypass pipe goes into the thermostat housing

The pipe looks ok but it's leaking like mad! The parts fiche doesn't show an o ring or anything. It just sits in there?

II tried looking for a new pipe but it seems to be out of stock everywhere. What should iI do?

On another note, I bought a new thermostat lhousing and o ring (Yamaha oem) and I cannot get it inserted. Even with mounds of Vaseline and the vise

it won't go. What's the trick to that? Wound up using old housing with new o ring.

Thanks everyone!

Just put mine back together,(83 standard) had same problem. 1st I missed putting strap on tube under right stat housing mounting bolt, holds tube in tight. Could not find o ring on parts fische either, matched at NAPA. larger rad hose on stat housing clamp was not tight, was dribbling down looked like was still leaking where tube pushes in to stat housing, until from fooling with tube and pulling on hose it really started leaking. tightened clamp all good. Didn't have prob getting oring in, but hole in stat housing is larger where tube goes in then gets smaller and fits snugly around tube about 1/2" in where o ring sits. tube has to be straight in line to slide in there. I put o ring on the tube and put light grease on it 1st time it went right in. Then, Thinking it was still leaking put a light coat of high temp silicone on it to help seal it,discovered lose hose clamp.

• 1 year later...

Please forgive me for beating the dead horse, It recently started getting cold here and I noticed AF pooling up under the bike. I read through all the posts about the O-rings getting old and leaking when cold but it looks like that coolant manifold is fairly easy to remove so I'm going to go ahead and pull that and replace O-rings. My question is do I need the OEM O-rings are am I likely to find some in the vast assortments of new O-rings I have. Just want to check and make sure they arent shouldered, beveled or anything that will preclude me from being able to reassemble with the universal assortment I have, or can easily buy in town.

Thanks folks.

• 3 weeks later...

if leaking at the thermostat.? .......in the thermostat itself CAP there is an o-ring. If at the by-pass valve(between header pipes) there is an IMPROVED o-ring they came out with 10 years ago. It's standard round type but ORANGE get it and end the leaking. Also drain coolant before proceeding . Make sure bypass housing is not corroded inside...check with flashlight and finger.