IGNORED

What has been your most memorable road

Eck

Here is mine.

A little history first:

One day while attending the VR.Org international rally in Ft. Collins, Co., three of us decided to go on an adventure ride.

There was, who many here remember, Lowell (The Ambassador / Wild hair), Dave (Swifty), and I.

On this day, Lowell said he would lead since he had a new Lowrance GPS unit. I was the tail gunner. Off we went. After about 40 miles we notice the lines on the pavement stopped but we were still on pavement.. then the pavement stopped but we were on a tar & chipped stone packed road..All of a sudden, Lowell stops Dave pulls on one side of Lowell and I pull up on the opposite side of Lowell. The road ahead is nothing but dirt. Dry dirt.

Lowell says: I don't know guys, but my GPS says it is a through road. Dave said, lets go for it. Im looking at my super clean RSV and thinking your kidding me.

Lowell takes off, Dave pulls out behind him and the dust is flying. I sat wondering should I or should I not.. I down shifted and into the dust cloud I went following along. Dave drops back from Lowell because he could not see due to the dust cloud, I drop father back for same reason, and I am so far back now that I don't see Dave or Lowell but there is absolutely no place to turn around so I kept going.

What a beautiful view I see coming up, and as I go around the corner another view outdoes the last one. I have never ridden a challenging road such as this and I am not so sure I would ever do it again. It was very dangerous for we were not on the type of bike needed for such a road. Luckily, we made it and when we returned to the VFW in Ft. Collins to meet up with everyone else later on that day, someone came up to me and asked: So Eck, where did you guys ride to today? I said man I couldn't tell you where we were but we ended up on some old dirt road that was unreal. Old gold mining town we passed through. Many times I had to walk my bike around hairpin turns as I read my license plate and at same time almost looking straight down over the edge of the mountain. No guard rails or anything to stop you from going over the edge. I'm just glad my brakes worked.

He said I know right where you were and I have been on that road myself. They call it "OH-MY-GOD-ROAD" ,,and that folks, is all I said the whole time I was on it was Oh my God..Oh my God..

This is the road we went on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hQiLu2MJzc

Picture 061.jpg

Edited by Eck

No catchy names or gps coordinates. Probably barely even noticeable on maps.

Just a couple local back roads that wind up and down a local 400 foot high ridge.

Sunny day, clear skies and empty twisty low speed roads.

Zen moment.

:)

I have ridden on many great roads and a few not so nice, have seen some of the greatest landscapes and a lot of places I would like to see again but, on my coast to coast ride last year I was in southeast Colorado heading toward home and turned onto HWY-50 just outside of Salida.

Came around a wide sweeping corner and to my right there were the Dillon Pinnacles .

Had never been through this area before and stopped for better than an hour just taking in the beauty of the surroundings.

These roads and the surrounding area is on my top 10 list of places to ride.

DSCF0696.jpg

Edited by Zzyzx

Eck there is so many in WV I just can't name them all.:happy65::happy65::happy65:

Slowrollwv, I have come to find that out over the last 8 years. Every year my best friend and I take a good 5 day to 15 day ride through as many roads as we can find in WV and into VA.

We plan on going back again this year sometime too..

The one in front of me!!!:mugshot:

Dan, you can pull out of the garage now............

I have ridden on many great roads and a few not so nice, have seen some of the greatest landscapes and a lot of places I would like to see again but, on my coast to coast ride last year I was in southeast Colorado heading toward home and turned onto HWY-50 just outside of Salida.

Came around a wide sweeping corner and to my right there were the Dillon Pinnacles .

Had never been through this area before and stopped for better than an hour just taking in the beauty of the surroundings.

These roads and the surrounding area is on my top 10 list of places to ride.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99273[/ATTACH]

Beautiful!!!!!! I just added HWY-50 just outside of Salida to my list of Colorado rides..

For me it was the return trip from Venture West Los Osos as we were heading towards Reno after leaving Yosemite. We stopped for the night at a campground and got to sleep in an old western covered wagon. While the road itself was nothing special, that part of the trip was "magical"!

My favorite is the road climbing Mt. Washington in NH. Done it twice. Once with a friend and my Dad, second time with my wife on back. She was terrified. Mostly paved, but a long section is gravel. And no guardrails. P1010235-M.jpg

Pics at the top:

P1010209-M.jpg

100_0263-M.jpg

RR

My favorite is the road climbing Mt. Washington in NH.

RR,

so was this taking Hwy 16 (or county road 16)? This is the Hwy that appears to go to the mountain top gift store. :think:

Hwy 112 looks like a great road also which is not far from there.

My favorite is the road climbing Mt. Washington in NH.

RR,

so was this taking Hwy 16 (or county road 16)? This is the Hwy that appears to go to the mountain top gift store. :think:

The road is called the Mt. Washington Auto Road. It launches from Hwy 16 and goes up the mountain.

MtWash.JPG

Hwy 112 looks like a great road also which is not far from there. That is known as the Kancamagus Hwy and is also a wonderful ride.

Both NH and Vermont have great roads throughout. Hwy 17 in the Green Mountains of VT has a view at the top that is unbelievable.

RR

Both NH and Vermont have great roads throughout. Hwy 17 in the Green Mountains of VT has a view at the top that is unbelievable.

Thanks for the map and info...It has been saved in my state files of roads to ride.

Here in NorCal there are a bunch of bucket list rides, but the most heart pumping of them all was during Venture West SLO back in '08. The Naciemento Fergusson road leaves the west side of Hunter Leggitt Army Base and heads 25 miles over to Hwy 1 on the pacific coast. One lane and goaty with no guard rails and 2000 foot drop offs. I was glad to be riding my '83VR.

For me there are two roads that come to mind.

#1 The road up to the top of Mt Evans In Colorado. 14,200 feet Highst paved road in america

#2 Hwy 16 from down near Boone, NC to Tazwell, VA.

Mt Evans:

Hwy 16

:

Honorable mention

Mokee Dugway In Utah and Hwy 12 the (the hogsback) also in Utah

The Hogsback:

Mokee Dugway:

Edited by Rick Haywood

2 of my favorites are in Northern Cali Hwy 36 out of Red Bluff into Fortuna and Hwy 299 out of Redding into McKinleyville. Both were free range roads and a couple of times we came around blind curves to find cow's and such in the middle of the road.

Where to begin,

Lets start in Colorado

Pagosa Springs, CO US160 North to South Fork, CO pick up CO HWY 149 West taking all the way to Gunnison, CO.

Pick-up US 50 West stopping at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison then to Montrose.

Pick-up US550 Million Dollar Hwy South to Durango, CO.

Lets go over to Utah.

Monument Valley US 163 toward Mexican Hat

Pick-up UT 261 North to UT 95 West stopping at the Natural Bridges National Monument continue on over to Hanksville, UT

Pick-up UT 24 West to Torrey, UT picking up UT 12 South to Bryce Canyon.

Pick-up US 89 North to Panguitch, UT

Pick-up UT 143 South thru the Cedar Breaks and then

Pick-up UT 14 to US 89 South to UT 9 thru Zion National Park back out to US 89 South to Kanab, UT

Pick-up US 89 Alt. South to Jacob Lake, AZ then AZ 67 down into the north rim of the Grand Canyon making all the loop road vistas.

Lets go over to California Just to much to list.

Benton, CA CA 129 East all the way to Yosemite Village

Pick-up Hwy 41 South to Oakhurst, CA. making sure to stop over at the Mariposa Grove Road.

Jackson, CA Hwy 88 North East to Hwy 89 North around Lake Tahoe Follow CA 89 all the way up to Mount Shasta

Pick-up I-5 North to Edgewood, CA to pick-up CA 3 South to US 299 West to Coast.

US 101 North or South pick your poison.

Lets Go up to Washington State

Carson, Washington pick-up Wind River Road or NF90 follow to NF25 to US 12 East

Pick-up WA 123 North around Mount Rainier to WA 410 back to US 12

Lets Go over to Idaho

Sand Point, Idaho US 2 & ID 200

Take ID 200 South to ID 56 North picking-up US 2 again. Take US 2 to Libby, MT

MT 37 to Eureka to US93 South to MT 40 East / US 2 to West Glacier going across the "Road to the Sun"

Bozeman Montana

Pick-up US191 South to Yellowstone make the Grand Loop and Exit at Northeast Entrance / Cooke City

Pick-up US 212 to Red Lodge, MT then make down to

US 14A out of Lovell, WY to

US 14 to Ranchester, WY

That should just scratch the surface for me!