IGNORED

I bought a new second gen today

Redneck

Yep that is one nice bike. A guy across the street from work has one he rides everyday he even rode it when snow was on the rode when cars were slipping he had no trouble he just took his time. Yep Redneck you made a excellent choice indeed.

Happy for you big guy!!!!!!! even tho its not a First Gen.:whistling:

congrats, mike!

the best part of the deal, is when it breaks down, you can get off, pick it up , put it under your arm, and carry it home!

lol

:cool10::cool10::cool10::080402gudl_prv:

just jt

JT your :fishin: for trouble ain't you. :stickpoke: :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

Nice!! I'll bet you have more pure fun on that than you will on your venture.Anyone that has ever had a dual purpose bike would probably agree. Obviosly To different beasts though. I remember unscrewing my mirrors when I would turn off the road and into the trails and setting them behind a tree,then hrs.later stoping to screw them back on before heading for home. This is the best time of the yr.to ride in the trails because you have much better visibility with all the leaves still off the trees. ENJOY!! I envy ya. I'll definately have another dual again someday.:thumbsup:

congrats, mike!

the best part of the deal, is when it breaks down, you can get off, pick it up , put it under your arm, and carry it home!

lol

:cool10::cool10::cool10::080402gudl_prv:

just jt

funny......when I read this, I also pictured him doing just that:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Have fun Mike!! Just be careful!!!:080402gudl_prv:

Congratulations, Redneck! You've just bought what might very well be the most new bike for the money in the entire motorcycle marketplace!

I've been "jonesin'" for a KLR650 for quite some time, now, and look forward to getting one myself down the road apiece. I have test-ridden both a used one (older model) and a new one and really liked it! The '08 model has enough improvements to make it a worthwhile purchase over a used, I think, since the recent-year used ones seem to me to be quite expensive for a used bike, in comparison.

I've also ridden the Buell Ulysses and the KTM Adventurer, and they are both good/great bikes, but not, to me, anyway, worth double and more the price of the KLR650. And no, I will not relinquish my 1st Gen to get one. What's up with that k7mdl?

:confused24:

Please keep us posted on your adventures with your new scoot...

Terry

Hi Blackjack,

Sold the '87 today to make way for the KLR 650 soon. I am still covered though! Still have a '07 RSV that will now see more ride time. Was either keep 2 Ventures or diversify and get a KLR. Wife won't give up the '07 luxo-barge. She actually directed the purchase of the '07, I had bought the '87 2 weeks earlier for me, then she decided I was not going to have fun and leave her behind. (Disclaimer - we used to ride 2-up for years in Hawaii and New England year back - kids have a way of changing things though - they are almost gone now).

Turns out while I was shopping for the KLR, my soon to be 16 year old daughter has taken to liking to ride with me and also tried out all the 250cc bikes in the store and decided that a 2007 Ninja 250 and a MSF course was in her very near future, at least she hopes.

I am thinking that with me acquiring a KLR 650 she might do better to start with a 125cc dirt bike for a while :-). I have a full size truck so no problem on that. Sounds like fun, back to my roots in dirt riding.

Actually my life got easier - no longer have to sweat choosing which ride I will take to day, the '87 to go fast, or the '07 to look cool :-) - (stepping back now as the usual suspects take the bait). Like Redneck, it will soon become "get dirty" or "comfort".

- Mike

Actually my life got easier - no longer have to sweat choosing which ride I will take to day, the '87 to go fast, or the '07 to look cool :-) - (stepping back now as the usual suspects take the bait). Like Redneck, it will soon become "get dirty" or "comfort".

- Mike

Mike, as much as I enjoy throwing gas on the fire, it appears you've already done that quite sufficiently (the '87 to go fast, or the '07 to look cool)! There's just no need to add to such a well-articulated comment...

:stirthepot::rotf::whistling:

Enjoy your KLR650 when you get it, as I'm sure you will!

Terry

Congrats on the new purchase. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I've been looking at those for a while. They seem to be one of the best values out there in a dual sport. I'm still allocating resources to college educations... blah blah blah.

One thing I read the other day on the new KLR is that they re-designed the oil ring and now if you ride on the highway for any length of time they suggest you check the oil everytime you get on the bike. The letter and reply was in the last issue of Rider magazine. The response said that with prolonged highway use bike can use up to a quart of oil every 800 miles. That's about what my old 350 Kawasaki two stroke used. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. Just have fun doing it in the dirt.:stirthepot:

• 2 weeks later...

Joined the club last weekend. Found a 2008 used KLR 650 with many accessories (farkles as they call them in KLR land). 9 months old, 2200 miles.

This one had a black lower fairing instead of the standard silver one on green bikes. The red and blue KLRs come with black lower fairings. Decals were also removed to give a cleaner blacked out look.

I am thinking it would lok very cool to paint most of it the same Galaxy Blue as its garage mate the '07 RSV!

Joined the club last weekend. Found a 2008 used KLR 650 with many accessories (farkles as they call them in KLR land). 9 months old, 2200 miles.

This one had a black lower fairing instead of the standard silver one on green bikes. The red and blue KLRs come with black lower fairings. Decals were also removed to give a cleaner blacked out look.

I am thinking it would lok very cool to paint most of it the same Galaxy Blue as its garage mate the '07 RSV!

Congratulations your going to love it. I have been very impressed with mine it is the klr's turn today but the weather man says 40mph wind so I think I will take the truck.

The 08 is great for taller folks. It has a very high seat and you can get lots of items for alterations. Such as, raising links, peg lowering brackets, flat seat instead of one that pushes you forward, highway pegs on the engine guard, etc. I suggest www.klr650.net for a resource to get your farkles (Fun Accessories, Really Kool, Likely Expensive)

FYI - you will need to adjust the shift and brake pedals down to accommodate the the peg lowering brackets.

I know, I put them all (except the flat seat - waiting on budgeting) on my new 08 KLR. I'm 6'4" and it fits nicely now. It must be a trend.

The previous owner of my KLR was very tall and thin and light. Maybe 6' 2 to 6'3 and 160lbs. I am 6' 1" but a few more lbs.

Hard to tell in my photo but he put on IMS pegs and also new black peg brackets that move them back 2", but are the same as stock height. So the pegs are right at the swing arm round cover now. A bit longer reach to the brake pedal and shifter. I find myself placing my heels on the pegs for the "right" spot, so may go back to the original brackets and see what it feels like.

Small size Grip Puppies are on order, the stock 7/8" bars hand grips cause me hand cramps inside of 30 minutes. On the Venture I have grip puppies on the 1" stock grips and cramping is less an issue with my large hands. If the Grip Puppies do not work, I also have Grand Tourismo grips coming as a backup plan. They are thick in the middle with air chambers.

Lets see. Givi E21 side cases, maybe a trunk, maybe a Laminar Lip, will that be it? Oh yeah, lets not forget the Galaxy Blue paint job it needs. Install radio gear, make adapter for helmet 5pin headset cord for radios. Tank bag (Wolfman Enduro).

The rear shock preload adjustment bolt promptly broke (no surprise), so a new warranty shock should be coming.

- Mike

Can't help it, but when I think of Redneck on a dirt bike I automatically picture a stork on a tricycle, arms and legs hanging out everywhere. :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf: Might just be a wee bit jealous. Heard that is one very nice bike. Have fun and get dirty. :cool10::cool10::cool10: