IGNORED

Return of the Tartan Terror

Tartan Terror

After sitting in Mothballs for 3 years its time to do some rehab on the Fire RSV and put plates back on it. Over the last few years my life has changed dramatically and my hobbies of kayaking and Triathlon (Swim Bike Run) have taken a lead in my life and quite honestly I lost interested in the RSV. Started it occasionally but that became fewer in between and now it will barely start. I know it needs some real TLC and time to get her back to her glory. A good wash and wax will tend to the outside and no doubt some new plugs, Battery, Fresh oil wll do most of the rest. My real Questions come down to tires and carbs. The tires were put on about a year before I put her away for good and has been inflated with no leaks and sitting on a carpet. They show no signs of cracking or age so as a tire dealer myself for cars I feel they will be fine, As for the carbs last time I had it actually running it didnt run smooth and for a very short time. Anyway at the prompting of the Tri friends a few of which do ride I got the itch to get her back on the road.

All that being said where is the best place to start on the carbs. I drained all of the old fuel and added brand new stuff. I was told to add a little denatured alcohol into a half gallon of fuel to clean it out and run it then change the plugs. After that I plan on filling it and adding seafoam to finish it. Hasnt started yet. Should I fill it up with the foam first as maybe it isnt picking up enough fuel to start it or should I just bite the bullet and pull the carbs and cleam out the bowls and whatever? Im out of practice. Where is the best place to start. No doubt after that I will have to sync the carbs

Hey Tart,, wassup.. Welcome back to the real world :Laugh:..

I like :witch_brew: a little so lets see if I can do a little of that this morning..

I always wondered what the best carb cleaning stuff was so many years ago, when I could still use my hands (got dupungens) and was doing a lot of carb work, I did a PST (Puc Science Test). Took a set of real nasty old carbs from a 4 cylinder Kawi, broke the carb bank down and had four matching samples. I used pure Auto Zone spray carb cleaner in one tank, Chem-Did dip tank cleaner in another, pure Sea Foam in another and STP Injector/Carb gas additive in another.. Now remember, ALL of these were pure - not diluted with gas as a couple of them are suppose to be used.. This was also a NO touching test - no brushing, no stirring, just soak only..

Of course, the Chem-Dip did an amazing job in less than an hour, the spray cleaner came in 2nd -with seeable results after soaking for 2 days, the STP came in 3rd with some results happening in 5 days, I actually gave up on the Sea Foam after a week of soaking with seeing no results in its attempt at loosening hard varnish from the bottom of the bowls (much less any effect on orvices).. Now,, I HAVE used a LOT of Sea Foam thru the years and have found it really is amazing stuff as far as making bikes run better and I am not sure why - that is why I used the term PST earlier and not ST (Scientifict Test) - I am NO scientist..

All that said,, what would I do if I were you.. If I had the TIME and the use of my hands back I would ripped those carbs out, dismantle em right down and ultra sound clean em till they sparkled and I KNEW every passage way was clean.. I would check my diaphrams very carefully and if I wasnt happy with em, replace em and I would use all new gaskets and oring when I put it back together..

On the other hand, I have also been in yours shoes many many times and successfully did another one of my Puc quick cleans that resulted years ago from another PST..

Here is how it works.. I only use this method if I know the carbs gotta come apart anyway so if it doesnt work I really aint out nothing.. Also, I will be talking here from a 1st Gen perspective, only ones I know..

Bike on center stand so its level. Pull air filter, remove mice nest. Stick long screw driver in carb throats and lightly move slides to make sure they move freely. Open drains on carbs one at a time, turn key on an off and see if gas flows from open drain. Getting gas = good, no gas, problems before carb (fuel pump, filter). Remove covers over diaphrams and pull slides. Take Syringe from ag store, fill with Chem-Dip, attach to carb drain hose, open carb drain screw, inject Chem-Dip into carb thru drain hose, watch main jet (what the needle that hangs from the bottom of the slide that is attached to the diaphram slides into inside the carb body) with a flashlight and as soon as Chem-Dip runs out of the Main Jet a little = close the drain plug. Do all four carbs.. Let sit 1 hour = NO MORE, NO LESS!!

After 1 hour, re-attach Syringe, open drain plug, pull syringe in and out like plunger to agitate Chem-Dip a little, suck Chem-Dip out of Carb. Fill carb with Spray Carb Cleaner (plastic squirter on can into drain hose) until it runs out of main jet, close drain plug. Do rest of carbs.. Repeat agitating action on carb cleaner with syringe and suck it out.

Close all Drains, turn key on and off till fuel pump fills bowls, one at a time - open drains on carbs and bleed gas into glass jar to see how clean it is, bump key to get good flow, dont stop till nice and clean.. Do all carbs..

Clean the slide tubes in the carb bodies real well with carb cleaner and a rag, make double sure those slide move smoothly and freely..

Snap er together and go for ride..

Bike runs on all four, sync em down and head west!

Gotta run.. I will double check my work here later and see if I missed anything:doh:

Back,, I know what I forgot,, dont forget to cover your bike with rags anywhere any of this stuff may come in contact with it!!!

Edited by cowpuc

I would put a bottle of Gumout with Regane on the label or Chevron Techron in a tank of gas and run it through. The carbs will be clean, I betcha.

I ran a bottle of Valvoline Complete Fuel System Cleaner through my Kawasaki with 3 1/2 gallons of gas and it cleaned the carbs up nicely. As far as I know, it has the same active cleaner that Gumout and Techron uses. Then again, I'm an amateur motorcyclist compared to many of the guys on this site.

For all it takes and the added benefits derived, I would definitely pull out the carbs and do a full tear down and restoration. Specially if it was already running poorly before you parked it. I even replaced the needle and seats. Be careful when you remove the seats from the bowel that you do not bend the pins that support the floats (don't ask). Once done its like having a whole new bike.

Check out this thread for the rig I set up to bench set the floats. It worked like a charm. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?86821-home-made-set-up-for-wet-setting-floats-on-the-bench