IGNORED

What makes a Venture? What I'd like to see

Start things off : Necessary things for a touring bike

1) 4 cyl liquid cooled engine

2) shaft drive

What I'd like to see :

1) ABS

2) EFI

3) continue 2nd Gen "retro" dash - I get lots of comments from people on the look of the dash/speedo

4) Cdn bikes should have speedometer display like the U.S. bikes - both KM and miles

5) continue including cb

6) bluetooth compatible integrated audio system

7) better sound system than 2nd Gen

8) get rid of cassette deck

9) lower centre of gravity

10) improved rear shock

11) better fuel pump

12) bigger trunk

13) keep top loading saddle bags

2) shaft drive

What I'd like to see :

1) ABS

2) EFI

3) continue 2nd Gen "retro" dash - I get lots of comments from people on the look of the dash/speedo

4) Cdn bikes should have speedometer display like the U.S. bikes - both KM and miles

5) continue including cb

6) bluetooth compatible integrated audio system

7) better sound system than 2nd Gen

8) get rid of cassette deck

10) improved rear shock

11) better fuel pump

12) bigger trunk

13) keep top loading saddle bags

That's a pretty decent list. I'm not sure shaft drive is necessary for a touring bike. Belt is lighter, cheaper and less maintenance.

Need to ad 14) cruise control.

I agree with most of that.

I think the dash is cool but I would also like to see more instrumentation. Temp and etc. like many of us ended up adding. I like the 2nd Gen dash but admit that I like retro analog gauges also so that one is a toss up for me.

Would love to see some version of the current VMax engine. I can't believe that Yamaha spent so much money developing that great engine for a single low selling model. I still think that there is a chance we will see it in a new Venture.

I agree with top loading saddlebags but would like to see a side opening trunk. I find it much more convenient. Not a deal killer though either way.

Fuel Injection is a MUST for me. Not only do you not have carbs to worry about floats sticking, synchronization, etc. but no rejetting if you want to play with different air cleaners, exhausts, etc. I never felt the need to rejet the Venture due to exhaust and K&N filters but always wondered if it would have helped. With Fuel injection, just upload a new map and you are done. Takes about 5 minutes.

I agree on CB, Bluetooth, etc. BIGGER speakers. That's the major problem with first and second gen bikes. 6" speakers will be great.

Integrated navigation? Pluses and minuses. Not a deal killer for me either way.

Fixed or handlebar mounted fairing? Some feel strongly one way or the other. I don't. I've owned both and and fine with either.

Gearing? Like a second gen with a VMAX rear but also a 6th gear TALL overdrive. That should be just about perfect.

Get rid of any clutch basket chirping and excessive gear whine.

For me, the must haves are:

Liquid Cooling

ABS

The 'Like to have list' would be:

Shaft drive. Not sure about the maintenance comment. I've had my RSV for 13 years/120k miles and have done nothing to it. What I do know is I have seen many Harley's roadside with a dangling drive belt. Never heard of a Venture being trailered somewhere due to broken shaft. Dont have to worry about picking up a little rock between belt and cog ruining a trip.

Forward control riding position. If not for the riding position... I would have been on a new wing last week. Came that close. I still may go that route depending on what Yamaha does during the next year. Or... I may decide not to wait. :)

Fuel Injection. Although with yearly Seafoam... my carbs work just fine and have not been a maintenance issue other than the occasional sync.

CB Radio. I can take it or leave it. With the kids almost gone.. I see the next decade Lisa and I travelling more on longer trips with the tent camper and less group riding.

If they are going to make integrated navigation the way Goldwing and HD do where its use is restricted on the fly... keep it. Rather save the $$$ and just add my own unit.

Beefier charging system that can handle extra lighting, trailers, and heated cloths without needing an upgrade.

Those are the things important to me. So lets get to it Yamaha... :)

I agree with most of what I have read above, the problem is, if a third gen is coming out in October as has been rumoured , it is to late to have this disscussion, the bike would have to designed already and maybe in production to meet an October launch daye.

Pretty much what has been disscussed above have been disscussed before, so hopefully Yamaha has been reading our posts all these years and paying attention.

After 18 years with nothing but Yamaha, I switched to a Goldwing last July, because there was nothing from Yamaha that met my needs for a new bike.

2) shaft drive

What I'd like to see :

For me the 'lower centre of gravity' must be in the top 2 MUST HAVES. I've dropped my RSV a couple of times at very slow speed with my wife on the back. No injury or damage either time but it happened so fast. A friend of mine bought a new '08 RSV but after dropping it twice the For Sale sign went on it and he switch to a 'Wing.

I responded on Freebirds thread BEFORE I read this thread,, amazing how similar important things ring in all of our hearts!! I LOVE THIS NEW SECTION DON!! Dreaming and wishing is good clean healthy fun.. Only thing that could be better is if those dreams came true!! :fingers-crossed-emo

For me, the must haves are:

Liquid Cooling

ABS

The 'Like to have list' would be:

Shaft drive. Not sure about the maintenance comment. I've had my RSV for 13 years/120k miles and have done nothing to it. What I do know is I have seen many Harley's roadside with a dangling drive belt. Never heard of a Venture being trailered somewhere due to broken shaft. Dont have to worry about picking up a little rock between belt and cog ruining a trip.

Forward control riding position. If not for the riding position... I would have been on a new wing last week. Came that close. I still may go that route depending on what Yamaha does during the next year. Or... I may decide not to wait. :)

Fuel Injection. Although with yearly Seafoam... my carbs work just fine and have not been a maintenance issue other than the occasional sync.

CB Radio. I can take it or leave it. With the kids almost gone.. I see the next decade Lisa and I travelling more on longer trips with the tent camper and less group riding.

If they are going to make integrated navigation the way Goldwing and HD do where its use is restricted on the fly... keep it. Rather save the $$$ and just add my own unit.

Beefier charging system that can handle extra lighting, trailers, and heated cloths without needing an upgrade.

Those are the things important to me. So lets get to it Yamaha... :)

I gotta agree with Gary on his opinion on the belt drive.. They are tough BUT I have helped stranded riders who have popped a belt and its sad when there is nothing you can do at roadside.. Harley big twins have a real issue if this happens cause the whole primary has to come apart (no idea of the designs on any of the other brands of bikes that use them).. I really like the right side belt of a Sporty cause they are much much easier to replace - those modern day Sportys are kind of an overlooked bike with lots of potential I think - I am one strange critter - I LIKE EM - wonder what a touring Sporty would be like)..

I like my shaft drive Yam's.. In many many obusive miles I have yet (KNOCK ON MY WOODEN HEAD) to have issues with one..

This is gonna sound really really insane but,, I would rather return to chain drive than belt (not on big twin harley though) as long as I could get my fingers on different gear sets. I LOVE being able to tweek my gearing thru swapping out front sprockets - its fun!! Plus, with todays o-ring/x-ring chains and high tensile strengths - things have changed greatly in chain/sprocket applications.. Old school thinking, I got real problem with that..

Some other things for the "nice to have" category:

Center stand.

Power windscreen.

An "ONSTSAR" type of service to signal for emergency vehicle if you're in a crash?

Automatic tire changer. (OK, how about run-flat tires?)

Really loud horns!

• 3 months later...

The same type rear dif. the Goldwings runs because of the 5 lug nuts to remove the rear tire ,brakes stay on the bike. With this on the bike it only takes 5 min to change a tire even on the side of the road. Lay bike on side remove 5 lugs rear tire comes right out. All bikes should have this on instead of removing bags ,exhaust ,brakes , axle . That would be nice. I have done allot of newer Goldwings in my shop and it is so fast to do a rear tire. love it.

Love the rest of everyone's ideas for sure

The same type rear dif. the Goldwings runs because of the 5 lug nuts to remove the rear tire ,brakes stay on the bike. With this on the bike it only takes 5 min to change a tire even on the side of the road. Lay bike on side remove 5 lugs rear tire comes right out. All bikes should have this on instead of removing bags ,exhaust ,brakes , axle . That would be nice. I have done allot of newer Goldwings in my shop and it is so fast to do a rear tire. love it.

Love the rest of everyone's ideas for sure

Just watched a quick utube vid on that @bikenut !! WOW - you are right - THAT is AWESOME!!!!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool:

Had NO idea those Wing rear tires were like that!! Talk about brilliant :dancefool:

I TOTALLY agree with your summation - all touring bikes should be so easy to swap a rear tire on!! :thumbsup2:

Now since you have done a number of them let me ask ya about leaning em down like that,, any probs with the low jugs filling with oil, any problems with other fluids leaking, looks like the scoot is laying on the right bag - is that area sturdy enough and how concerned would you have to be about scratching saddlebags if doing on the roadside..

Pretty cool my friend!!

How bout the front? can you perform the same task easily on roadside?

Yep,, THAT tire swapability is a MUST HAVE for this ol varmint too!!:thumbsup:

THANKS!!

I have done over 20+ Goldwings in my shop but never tried it by laying it down on its side. It take so little time to get the wheel off I would think oil would not go into the head . If you left it on it side over night then yes. The crash bars is what the bike goes against. . Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

All I would ask for is a bike that does not require me to become a mechanic to maintain. Say something with rear shocks that last, fuel pump that lasts, clutch that does not require aftermarket kit to run properly, and ignition switch that lasts, headlight that does not cause me have to tear the front end apart to replace a bulb, something that generates enough current to run the lights and accessories. So for me must haves include fuel injection, self adjusting valves, led lights all around, proper spring based clutch, electronic fuel pump with no points. Like the current 2nd gen styling as well as road handling with the handlebar mounted fairing. PLEASE YAMAHA PLEASE:cool10::cool10::cool10::dancefool::cool10::cool10::cool10:

• 2 weeks later...
One other thing to add.... keep the price

I think ABS was on your list. I owned an ABS St1100 and would love another ABS bike. Price a new Wing with the ABS package, New Venture with ABS is not happening for low $20K IMHO, unless you define Low 20K as 24,999. MSRP for the last production year of the 2nd gen Venture was already Low 20k. The current Vmax MSRP is 18K. The bike people are asking Yamaha for with the features they want will not be inexpensive. They also won't have the sales and production volume that Honda has with the Wing to offer option packages like they do with the Wing. They did manage to build the FJR1300 with ABS included with an MSRP less than the ST1300 so I suppose anything is possible. I estimate a well equipped new Venture with ABS will be closer to 25K than to 20K.

• 1 year later...

I know I'm way late to the party but I just joined. (Seriously considering either a RSV or RSTD.) I owned a '12 Victory Vision for a couple of years. MSRP (which nobody pays) was just over $21k and it had ABS, power windscreen, 6 spd OD tranny, belt drive, modern stereo (including iPod hookup), cruise control, FI, etc. Not only CAN it be done for that price but it HAS been done at that price. Obviously, Yamaha isn't interested in a Barkalounger on wheels at any price. Their loss. Glad there are still older RSVs and RSTDs out there. (Other than the cassette, needing/wanting iPod/USB and ABS, it's pretty much what I'm looking for.) Now, I just have to find one for a steal.