IGNORED

Let the discussion begin.

You nailed it. Look back to the 80s Mustangs, Chargers, and for goodness sake a 4 cylinder Camaro. They all resembled their ancestry somewhat and carried the badge but were nearly brand killers. The Venture faithful ride 4 cylinder water cooled peg draggers that will eat HDs for lunch and go for 250k miles or more without major rebuilds. I know it's marketing but I still can't wrap my head around changing that platform. I have a 32 year old bike that I can tour on or go tear up the twisties. Maybe it will pull in some Harley faithfuls but I believe the 1800 water cooled boosted power plant would've been the Venture boom we were looking for. Having said that I'm somewhat technology phobic, I envision lots of problems with so much tech on a bike being ridden in the rain. I hope in 30 years while I'm sitting in a corner of whatever nursing home my kids imprison me in eating jello and drooling on myself somebody proves me wrong with a 2018 Yam with 300k miles and going strong. But for now I'll stay with 4 pistons and 10,000 rpms.

Fair comments, fair viewpoints...and honestly, I don't think on any ride of the past 15 years, that anybody needs to change their mount, because of such a drastic change-up in engine design, or supportive technology. It's only if the rider WANTS to embrace the latest and the greatest. I know, more than my wife needed, I needed to run with another 'new discovery' for the next years of my motorcycling hobby. We didn't have any pressure, mechanically or financially, to deal the 2008 Wing Premium Sound/Nav. It was I wanting something different. As it turns out, not only different, but a totally new 'take' for myself in motorcycling. 1854 c.c's all packed into two cylinders. Totally new experience, in ride, in sound, in the lowest center of gravity frame I have ever turned into a bank and corner. In hindsight of three weeks, THIS is what I was needing, and looking for...but until now...didn't have a clue about it, lol.

Three weeks later, I have a clue about it...

I hope that everybody always ends up with what they wish for, what they need to make them happy in the sport....and actually find a frame and engine that does exactly that...if in their present mount, or over the next hill. For you, Mr. Dawson...it seems you are riding it right now! Good go! :)

Joe

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new Venture has brought a lot of new riders into the Yamaha fold..... myself included. I am coming off a Victory Vision, a great bike but once I saw and played with the new Venture at Laconia I knew I had to have it. Sorry, but I have no real desire to know about the past generations of the Venture and even feel calling the forum 3rd generation is strange. To me its first generation, a new bike, a V-Twin beast, with a great mix of old school V-Twin and new tech (that I have come to expect in cars/trucks and bikes). I really like the menacing/mean front end, the nice exhaust growl and all the touring comforts. Did I mention.....I really like my Venture TC.... glad I moved to Yamaha

The new Venture has brought a lot of new riders into the Yamaha fold..... myself included. I am coming off a Victory Vision, a great bike but once I saw and played with the new Venture at Laconia I knew I had to have it. Sorry, but I have no real desire to know about the past generations of the Venture and even feel calling the forum 3rd generation is strange. To me its first generation, a new bike, a V-Twin beast, with a great mix of old school V-Twin and new tech (that I have come to expect in cars/trucks and bikes). I really like the menacing/mean front end, the nice exhaust growl and all the touring comforts. Did I mention.....I really like my Venture TC.... glad I moved to Yamaha

Welcome,

I had a 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour, enjoyed that bike but it had none of the electronics the Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental has, The first thing I did when I picked up my Cross Country Tour was ride home and pulled off the cable clutch and installed the Victory hydraulic clutch system took me a total of one hour removing and installing. The Cross Country Tour was a nice bike and I enjoyed it but this Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental is hands down a better motorcycle.

Welcome,

I had a 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour, enjoyed that bike but it had none of the electronics the Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental has, The first thing I did when I picked up my Cross Country Tour was ride home and pulled off the cable clutch and installed the Victory hydraulic clutch system took me a total of one hour removing and installing. The Cross Country Tour was a nice bike and I enjoyed it but this Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental is hands down a better motorcycle.

I have several of my Victory friends still enjoying their Vic's..... they ask questions... I answer .. I try not to rub it in, so I answer in a humble manner, but truth be told this Venture TC is a much better bike. If you are a tall rider, the longer more stretched out stance on the Victory touring bikes are nice, but that's about it. I'm a 30inch inseam so that doesn't apply to me. Love the Venture TC.

You actually make a GREAT point! I'm going to latch right onto it. You're right...this is not another V-Max, or V-4 , 3rd gen anything. This Yamaha motorcycle----->is new, from the very ground up, a singular V-Twin motorcycle, and **FIRST GENERATION**--------> You are very right...

Great post....Touche!

Joe

You actually make a GREAT point! I'm going to latch right onto it. You're right...this is not another V-Max, or V-4 , 3rd gen anything. This Yamaha motorcycle----->is new, from the very ground up, a singular V-Twin motorcycle, and **FIRST GENERATION**--------> You are very right...

Great post....Touche!

Joe

Seriously and straight from the hip,,, I honestly think you guys are onto something and that something is actually something that has been mentioned on more than one occasion..

I think where Mom Yam may have messed up is in naming this new bike a "Venture".. Like you say,, it is definitely not a Venture.. In that the design came straight from the ranks of the Strat, Roadliner crowd - perhaps it should have been named the Stratotourer or something... The disconnect between what a Yamaha Venture has been since creation and the huge difference between then and now is just to confusing. IMHO (and YES,, this is JUST my opinion) I theorize that Mom Yam only used the Venture name as a lure to try and bring past Venture Riders/Owners into the V-Twin cloud and sort of get as much bang for her buck as possible and I am sure (although I have not seen it happen personally yet) that is happening somewhere and that past 1st or 2nd Gen owners are trading in their V-4's but I still wonder of the whole change over may have gone a lot smoother had the bike just been named after the 113's the Star Riders who designed it were riding...

Probably makes no sense to anyone else but it does to me...

I theorize that Mom Yam only used the Venture name as a lure to try and bring past Venture Riders/Owners into the V-Twin cloud and sort of get as much bang for her buck as possible and I am sure (although I have not seen it happen personally yet) that is happening somewhere and that past 1st or 2nd Gen owners are trading in their V-4's

I traded in a 2012 2nd gen for the SVTC.

I wanted to upgrade this spring. Out of all the luxury bikes available in the market today, SVTC is the winner. For me, lamenting on what features one may wish was different is a waste of my time.

It is what it is.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I traded in a 2012 2nd gen for the SVTC.

I wanted to upgrade this spring. Out of all the luxury bikes available in the market today, SVTC is the winner. For me, lamenting on what features one may wish was different is a waste of my time.

It is what it is.

:scared:,, lets start a Poll and see how many buyers of the new bikes came from the V-4 background such as yourself!! Those are ALWAYS a good time!!!:thumbsup:

Seriously and straight from the hip,,, I honestly think you guys are onto something and that something is actually something that has been mentioned on more than one occasion..

I think where Mom Yam may have messed up is in naming this new bike a "Venture".. Like you say,, it is definitely not a Venture.. In that the design came straight from the ranks of the Strat, Roadliner crowd - perhaps it should have been named the Stratotourer or something... The disconnect between what a Yamaha Venture has been since creation and the huge difference between then and now is just to confusing. IMHO (and YES,, this is JUST my opinion) I theorize that Mom Yam only used the Venture name as a lure to try and bring past Venture Riders/Owners into the V-Twin cloud and sort of get as much bang for her buck as possible and I am sure (although I have not seen it happen personally yet) that is happening somewhere and that past 1st or 2nd Gen owners are trading in their V-4's but I still wonder of the whole change over may have gone a lot smoother had the bike just been named after the 113's the Star Riders who designed it were riding...

Probably makes no sense to anyone else but it does to me...

Honda Corp is just as red-handed, guilty! There is absolutely no visual connection to the 2017 model Goldwing. None...

Now..take a look at the physical ST-1300, and tell me that the so-called 2018 'Goldwing' does not follow that ST imagery almost like a clone. Honda was trying to glean whoever was going to fall for it...from present Goldwing owners...that this was a new er..ah, Goldwing version. Bull...bull...they completely changed gears, and released an ST-1800 but with a flat six banger, to replace the defunct ST-1300.

Yamaha and Honda can be sitting in the perhaps, lol the same jail cell.... I get why they did it...and as you say...if they can pull in prior Venture owners, or prior Goldwing owners...what the hey? Good...and if not...what the hey? They are both truly...truthfully...looking to pull in another ride genre. For Yamaha, they want to bring over those that enjoy the 'emotional' V-Twin experience from Harley, Victory, Indian..(yep...let's call the tuttu dressed elephant sitting on the couch...as 'seen'.) and if by naming the new, totally new T.C as er...ah..cough, cough...a Venture...then they can let other prior Venture riders, 'ease in' to the new model and engine configuration...ALL THE BETTER. Honda is so flamin' guity of this as well....and for all the same reasons. For them...bring on the FJR's...bring on the Ninja's...bring on, bring on...The 2018 (again...I see the elephant over there on the couch...) is NOT a Honda Goldwing of past breath, feature set, capacity set, BUT, with updated Infotainment feature set...nope..is is totally aligned with the feature sets of their ST (Sport Touring) line up's...present and past. They are as guilty as Yamaha is, as seen by present first and second gen Venture owners. I say, throw them all in the 'brig...lol.

Final comment...if I were either Yamaha, or Honda...man...I'd do the same thing they did....throw 'name it this or that' mud onto the wall...AND SEE WHAT STICKS! Didn't cost them one dime more to call these 2018's...a Venture, or a Goldwing. If the Moniker net gets thrown, and brings in fish...what the hey?!?

Honda Corp is just as red-handed, guilty! There is absolutely no visual connection to the 2017 model Goldwing. None...

Now..take a look at the physical ST-1300, and tell me that the so-called 2018 'Goldwing' does not follow that ST imagery almost like a clone. Honda was trying to glean whoever was going to fall for it...from present Goldwing owners...that this was a new er..ah, Goldwing version. Bull...bull...they completely changed gears, and released an ST-1800 to replace the defunct ST-1300.

Yamaha and Honda can be sitting in the perhaps, lol the same jail cell.... I get why they did it...and as you say...if they can pull in prior Venture owners, or prior Goldwing owners...what the hey? Good...and if not...what the hey? They are both truly...truthfully...looking to pull in another ride genre. For Yamaha, they want to bring over those that enjoy the 'emotional' V-Twin experience from Harley, Victory, Indian..(yep...let's call the tuttu dressed elephant sitting on the couch...as 'seen'.) and if by naming the new, totally new T.C as er...ah..cough, cough...a Venture...then they can let other prior Venture riders, 'ease in' to the new model and engine configuration...ALL THE BETTER. Honda is so flamin' guity of this as well....and for all the same reasons. For them...bring on the FJR's...bring on the Ninja's...bring on, bring on...The 2018 (again...I see the elephant over there on the couch...) is NOT a Honda Goldwing of past breath, feature set, capacity set, BUT, with updated Infotainment feature set...nope..is is totally aligned with the feature sets of their ST (Sport Touring) line up's...present and past. They are as guilty as Yamaha is, as seen by present first and second gen Venture owners. I say, throw them all in the 'brig...lol.

Final comment...if I were either Yamaha, or Honda...man...I'd do the same thing they did....throw 'name it this or that' mud onto the wall...AND SEE WHAT STICKS! Didn't cost them one dime more to call these 2018's...a Venture, or a Goldwing. If the Moniker net gets thrown, and brings in fish...what the hey?!?

The Honda dealer I tried to buy the GoldWing Tour from is still sitting on the same stock and that is now a month ago when they did not want to do business with me to sell that Red GoldWing Tour

DCT.

https://hapscycle.com/Showroom/New-Inventory/NEW/Touring/2018?Manufacturer=Honda&Category=Motorcycles&mn=Goldwing&PriceLow=0

I have yet to see a 2018 GoldWing on the road in the wild down here in Southwest Florida.

The Honda dealer I tried to buy the GoldWing Tour from is still sitting on the same stock and that is now a month ago when they did not want to do business with me to sell that Red GoldWing Tour

DCT.

https://hapscycle.com/Showroom/New-Inventory/NEW/Touring/2018?Manufacturer=Honda&Category=Motorcycles&mn=Goldwing&PriceLow=0

I have yet to see a 2018 GoldWing on the road in the wild down here in Southwest Florida.

Wow..now that you mention that...wow...same here for around the Toronto area. Never even gave that much mind...but neither have I. They have all been 2017's and down. Tons of those! BUT...I did see one other SVTC on Younge Street, just north of the Hog' Hollow dip. So...that is a revelation! Never even thought of that. Not one. The other SVTC was a grey one.

Post Edit, I never even saw one on the way to Niagara Falls, yesterday...not there, not ever on the highways...not ever at any of the three Tim Horton's I took a coffee break at? Some of those 40 'out the door's' that Puc was talking about at just one dealer...need to make a show up here in Ontario, to encourage the other's to pull them out of their garages...and ride the things...lol. Just kiddin'....lol. At the Tim Horton's, I saw the usual suspects...Harleys, V-Twin Honda's, let's see, thinking....one Suzuki, something...also a V-Twin...and one really nice looking Triumph Bonneville (newer liquid cooled one) that the owner had modified the baffles...and was way louder than the bike needed to be...., but...not one 2018 Honda in all of that! I must say...that you have me actually thinking about it...the greatest volume of bikes as a make...was any different model and year of Harley Davidson. Really big, up here in Ontario. Harley has a great presence, and of course, are all V-Twins. Really thinking about it...I can't ever remember seeing a 1rst or 2nd gen Venture. I need to keep an eye out for them, when riding. Harleys, lol, you could be blind and if you didn't see 'em...you certainly would get run over by one of them....

Post edit 2: Ok...this post this morning really made the dust fall from the ears...most of EVERYTHING that I saw on the roads...or sitting in front of Tim Horton's that I haunt....were one form or another...V-Twins! Man...this is starting to make sense...in why Yamaha at least, chose a VERY traditional V-Twin...(totally air/oil cooled) as their next brand new, ride. Now (eyes wide open...brain thinking..)...up here in Ontario...and probably, (Canadians LOVE past traditions...and embrace them like all get out, myself included!) all across Canada...they (Yamaha) saw this trend, when THEY were out upon the roads, taking visual surveys...when THEY turned into a Tim Horton's...when THEY hit the bar parking lots....they saw V-Twins...everywhere...from Yamaha, from Honda, from Suzuki...and of course, everywhere under a rock, under a pillow...an HD!

Gawd...this is making sense this morning AND, Puc...making sense why they sold out much better in Ontario..and perhaps Canada as a whole country...because...the plain, basic truth of the matter...(thinking about it this morning..) is that the most popular engine format motorcycle IN Canada...are V-Twins.... Yamaha Sneak Teams saw that...and it wasn't the Raider Group that propelled the brand new, from the ground up 2018 Yamaha Venture Trans Continental....is was CROSS PLATFORM, MULTI MANUFACTURER---->PRESENT RIDERSHIP...out there on the roadways, of Canada...that propelled the first SVTC down the assembly line, headed for CANADA! Wow...I need to get another cup of coffee... It was THAT...that put them out on the roadway this summer!

Morning all...and especially American...who got me THINKING about this all, this morning....Have a great day, sir! :)

Joe

Wow..now that you mention that...wow...same here for around the Toronto area. Never even gave that much mind...but neither have I. They have all been 2017's and down. Tons of those! BUT...I did see one other SVCT on Younge Street, just north of the Hog' Hollow dip. So...that is a revelation! Never even thought of that. Not one. The other SVTC was a grey one.

Post Edit, I never even saw one on the way to Niagara Falls, yesterday...not there, not ever on the highways...not ever at any of the three Tim Horton's I took a coffee break at? Some of those 40 'out the door's' that Puc was talking about at just one dealer...need to make a show up here in Ontario, to encourage the other's to pull them out of their garages...and ride the things...lol. Just kiddin'....lol. At the Tim Horton's, I saw the usual suspects...Harleys, V-Twin Honda's, let's see, thinking....one Suzuki, something...also a V-Twin...and one really nice looking Triumph Bonneville (newer liquid cooled one) that the owner had modfied the baffles...and was way louder than the bike needed to be...., but...not one 2018 Honda in all of that! I must say...that you have me actually thinking about it...the greatest volume of bikes as a make...was any different model and year of Harley Davidson. Really big, up here in Ontario. Harley has a great presence, and of course, are all V-Twins. Really thinking about it...I can't ever remember seeing a 1rst or 2nd gen Venture. I need to keep an eye out for them, when riding. Harleys, lol, you could be blind and if you didn't see 'em...you certainly would get run over by one of them....

Harley Davidson likes to sell that image but really all you are buying with a Harley Davidson is a spot in the flock of sheep. Not bashing the Harley motorcycle as I owned one but it will be the only one I ever owned, but I am pointing out that you are not an individual on a Harley Davidson but instead just another sheep in the flock.

After owning a Harley Davidson I really don't understand their popularity.

My wife when we pass Harleys will go Baaa Baaa into the bluetooth intercom we have in our helmets (Sena 30K).

Harley Davidson likes to sell that image but really all you are buying with a Harley Davidson is a spot in the flock of sheep. Not bashing the Harley motorcycle as I owned one but it will be the only one I ever owned, but I am pointing out that you are not an individual on a Harley Davidson but instead just another sheep in the flock.

After owning a Harley Davidson I really don't understand their popularity.

My wife when we pass Harleys will go Baaa Baaa into the bluetooth intercom we have in our helmets (Sena 30K).

Hi American...man...your first post REALLY got me thinking all about it...from a different angle...and opened up my eyes, this morning.

Now...it makes total sense to me, why the uptake was so much better, with most dealer's sold right out on the Canadian SVTC's...IS, because we as a nation...are a nation of V-Twin lovers...I NEVER PUT THIS TOGETHER, until this morning...never. Myself now included...as a 'coming out of the closet' V-Twin rider myself! Whether one is part of a pack, or a few exclusive rides, here or there...is not truly what I am focusing on...but that what did I see?

At Tim's on Monday....ALL of the bikes were one manufacturer's V-Twin offering...metric as well HD. Of course I saw Kawasaki Ninja's...VERY popular here with the X gen and Mill crowd, the very target that Honda hopes will jump ship to a larger ST, with some weekend baggage capability...but man...Ontario in thinking about this...is, 'the V-Twin rules', province. Yamaha saw this...and are making hay, while the sun shines... What a hoot! What they should have done...is had ample supply, and believed in their own supposition. They didn't...they were cautious...and lost out in sales....something that I think won't be happening as they crank out the new 2019's next month....

Joe

DCT.

OMG! Are they kidding?!?!?!? I just went to their site...and they have the audacity to call a bike...that has 25 dealership driven miles upon it...a NEW BIKE? Are you freakin' kidding me? I would be scandalized...a dealer doesn't need 3 miles max for the PDI inspection ride around the block. If I saw that on the new stock...there would be no negotiatoins of any kind...I'd be walking out the door, OR....OR...they give me financial compensation for my 'demo' bike floor demonstrator. I saw this...and was scandalized this morning. Never have I seen a new bike, have more than 3-4 miles upon it, when delivered to the purchaser. 25 miles?!?!?!?!?? Where the h*ll do they go?!?!?

I would not ever be buying from that dealership. Who knows how hard...who EVER it was that rode those first critical 25 miles...they rode YOUR new ride. Wouldn't be my ride...that's for sure. Wow....

My SVTC came with a PDI total ride miles of 2.7 (4.5 KM's) That is PDI acceptable.

I thought to bring this very first forum entry back to the forefront....on the font page.

I see where the angst, resistance for acceptance, and animosity to the current 2018 SVTC comes from, by some active posters. I get it. I really do. We do, actually...my wife and I both.

...Personally, I think it is the best Tour Class motorcycle I have ever owned to date....

Just interesting to have this now up at the top...and let others see the threads...the responses...and dwell upon them, post the 2018 release to market.

... All in all I think I bought the best touring bike on the market right now in the Yamaha Star Venture. ...Yamaha as far as I am concerned you hit a grand slam home run with the Star Venture motorcycles.

Prior to this SVTC, i rode the hell out of a 2002 and then 2012 2nd gen. Last fall I started seriously researching a replacement with plan to pull the trigger early this year. Made a list of musts:

- no damn carburetor!

- abs

- 500 mile day comfort

- heated seat and grips

- did I mention no carb?

- electronics comparable to modern cars (blue tooth, GPS, etc.)

- decent warranty and expectation that I can reliably put high miles on it

I spent months reading every review I could find of every manufacturer's entry in the luxury touring space. Kicked a lot of tires, test road everything I could. For me, the SVTC was winner by a huge margin. Nothing else was even close.

Perhaps if Yamaha decided to call this bike something else other than Star Venture the conversation might be a little different. Looking at this new bike through the lens of comparison to the 2nd gen you're not going to be looking at it the right way. It's like comparing apples to oranges. I've put a couple of hundred thousand miles on the 2nd gens and a little over 5,000 on this one so far. The SVTC has absolutely nothing in common with the 2nd gen. All they share is the name.

This is a brand new bike for Yamaha. I try to look at it as such with no expectations based on the name and my years of riding previous generation Ventures.

What is galling some posters here, that have, or have ridden prior year named Ventures...... A lot of present Wing riders, some of my friends included, feel that Honda simply threw them to the side, and abandoned them. I can only imagine that this is the case, amongst current Venture (any gen) owners, and what they had hoped would be the next 'Venture'.

... It's when they drastically alter that franchise, as in the case of the 2018 Wing, and the 2018 S Venture... and the franchise name remains intact, is when resentment enfolds. ....

Y... The Venture faithful ride 4 cylinder water cooled peg draggers that will eat HDs for lunch and go for 250k miles or more without major rebuilds. I know it's marketing but I still can't wrap my head around changing that platform. I have a 32 year old bike that I can tour on or go tear up the twisties. Maybe it will pull in some Harley faithfuls but I believe the 1800 water cooled boosted power plant would've been the Venture boom we were looking for. ....

The new Venture has brought a lot of new riders into the Yamaha fold..... myself included. I am coming off a Victory Vision, a great bike but once I saw and played with the new Venture at Laconia I knew I had to have it. Sorry, but I have no real desire to know about the past generations of the Venture and even feel calling the forum 3rd generation is strange. To me its first generation, a new bike, a V-Twin beast, with a great mix of old school V-Twin and new tech (that I have come to expect in cars/trucks and bikes). ...

I think where Mom Yam may have messed up is in naming this new bike a "Venture".. Like you say,, it is definitely not a Venture.. .... Mom Yam only used the Venture name as a lure to try and bring past Venture Riders/Owners into the V-Twin cloud and sort of get as much bang for her buck as possible ...

I traded in a 2012 2nd gen for the SVTC. I wanted to upgrade this spring. Out of all the luxury bikes available in the market today, SVTC is the winner. For me, lamenting on what features one may wish was different is a waste of my time. It is what it is.

... For Yamaha, they want to bring over those that enjoy the 'emotional' V-Twin experience from Harley, Victory, Indian...and if by naming the new, totally new T.C as ...a Venture...then they can let other prior Venture riders, 'ease in' to the new model and engine configuration...

....I did see one other SVCT on Younge Street, just north of the Hog' Hollow dip. ...I saw the usual suspects...Harleys, V-Twin Honda's,......not one 2018 Honda in all of that! I must say...that you have me actually thinking about it...the greatest volume of bikes as a make...was any different model and year of Harley Davidson. ...I can't ever remember seeing a 1rst or 2nd gen Venture. I need to keep an eye out for them, when riding.

......up here in Ontario...and probably, (Canadians LOVE past traditions...and embrace them like all get out, myself included!) all across Canada...they saw this trend, when THEY were out upon the roads, taking visual surveys...when THEY turned into a Tim Horton's...when THEY hit the bar parking lots....they saw V-Twins...everywhere...from Yamaha, from Honda, from Suzuki...and of course, everywhere under a rock, under a pillow...a HD! Gawd...this is making sense this morning AND, Puc...making sense why they sold out much better in Ontario..and perhaps Canada as a whole country...because...the plain, basic truth of the matter...(thinking about it this morning..) is that the most popular engine format motorcycle IN Canada...are V-Twins.... Yamaha Sneak Teams saw that...and it wasn't the Raider Group that propelled the brand new, from the ground up 2018 Yamaha Venture Trans Continental....is was RIDERSHIP...out there on the roadways, of Canada...that propelled the first SVTC down the assembly line. Wow...I need to get another cup of coffee......

Joe...I think you need to cut down on the coffee or switch to decaf. Making you way too hyper !

Believe me, this is not personal but I think you are off the mark on a few points. Any new members reading some of your comments will misunderstand why members with 1st or 2nd Gens were disappointed by the engine configuration of the SVCT. None of the 1st/2nd Gen owners need to eat crow, none of us are disappointed by sales numbers of the SVCT, and I'm sure all of us look forward to reading rider reports. We are NOT looking for negative comments to stand up and shout "I told you so". We as bikers don't care what someone rides. We might joke about Harley and Wing riders but we don't disparage them. "Ride what you want and enjoy the ride".

My highlighting in red are things I take exception to, underlining are things I want to make further comment on.

When the 2nd Gen's came out, there were certain things 1st Gen owners didn't like about the 2nd Gens. Styling was one, the fork mounted fairing was another. Made the Venture to "Harley" looking. There has been a lot of friendly ribbing as to which Gen is better, faster. As mentioned in some of the posts in this thread, whether it is autos or bikes, when the manufacturer makes changes, the "faithful" won't like every change made. As riders of the 1st and 2nd Gens many of the comments were geared towards updates being to the available power, updating the bells and whistles of the bike with infotainment, fuel injection, etc. Because of the success and proven reliability of the V4 liquid cooled and shaft drive most of us would have preferred that. Myself, I came from a 1999 Virago SE which was an 1100cc Vtwin but after experiencing a V4 I would not go back. It's like having a Mustang GT with 8 cylinders and then going back to a 4 cylinder. The V4 in the 1st/2nd Gen were part of the breed/heritage of the Venture model and as I think most of us would agree makes the SVCT the start of a new "breed" and should have been badged with something other than Venture.

When you look at DanielM's list of criteria, I don't think anyone would disagree that the new model required updating. As he said the SVCT compared to the previous Gens is not an equal comparison. The main thing is because of the motor. Had a V4 been put in the SVCT then people would have seen the continuity of the "breed". Without the V4, it isn't the same bike. Daniel has experience on both and his comment is dead on. Consistent with people that went to the SVCT whether from GoldWing like you did, 1st/2nd Gen Venture, Harley, Victory, Indian or what have you.... comparing what is available TODAY in touring bikes (definition - comfortable all day riders with lots of storage to keep it simple) the SVCT is heads and tails above the others. The GoldWing is cramped, the Harley "shakes" constantly.... and the SVCT is completely updated.

RDawson nailed it too when he said "I believe the 1800 water cooled boosted power plant would've been the Venture boom we were looking for".

Couple things you have said....

"...can let other prior Venture riders, 'ease in' to the new model and engine configuration"

Sorry....but if I wanted a Vtwin then there were several available when I got my Venture. As now when you selected the SVCT over the other touring bikes CURRENTLY available, the V4 liquid cooled shaft drive Venture was the best choice for me. "Ease in" to the new model?? Yamaha didn't brand it "Venture" to "ease" anyone out of previous models. This is their FULL touring bike current day. To Yamaha.... their full touring bike WAS the Venture and since this is their full touring bike today, they named it Venture. Simple as that. Should they have come up with a new name? Sure....but then as typical Japanese company, why spend money on registering a new name when "Venture" already belonged to them?

I can't ever remember seeing a 1rst or 2nd gen Venture.

Maybe you weren't looking for them since you were riding a GoldWing and had the "Goldwing attitude" of not waving at non-Wing riders? (sorry....joking on this - they just couldn't find the button to have the bike "wave"). Over the years I've seen many Ventures, met many owners. Are there as many as ride the Harley brand? No....but you'll find the same with the SVCT. Harley outsells the other brands in North America so you will see more Harleys than Yamaha's. It's in the numbers. You've seen one other SVCT in Ontario...there will be more but it will be like the 1st and 2nd Gens....what you look for you will see (occassionally).

up here in Ontario...and probably, (Canadians LOVE past traditions...and embrace them like all get out, myself included!) all across Canada...they saw this trend, when THEY were out upon the roads, taking visual surveys...when THEY turned into a Tim Horton's...when THEY hit the bar parking lots....they saw V-Twins....basic truth of the matter...(thinking about it this morning..) is that the most popular engine format motorcycle IN Canada...are V-Twins.... Yamaha Sneak Teams saw that...and it wasn't the Raider Group that propelled the brand new, from the ground up 2018 Yamaha Venture Trans Continental....is was RIDERSHIP...out there on the roadways, of Canada...that propelled the first SVTC down the assembly line

Following "traditions" ? Yes if they are related to heritage. Concerning technology Canadians excel at adapting to new ideas and technologies. V-twin "dominance" has nothing to do with acceptance of the SVCT or "tradition". If you think Canadians don't update to the newest techology because we "LOVE past traditions" then we'd all be living in igloos.

"The most popular engine format motorcycle IN Canada....are V-Twins...Yamaha Sneak Teams saw that...is was RIDERSHIP...out there on the roadways, of Canada...that propelled the first SVTC down the assembly line".

Again....sorry... but this is not the reason Yamaha went with the V-twin. The reason there are so many v-twins being ridden is because the majority of bikes sold only come with V-twins. How many models of bikes come with more than 2 cylinders? Of those, the "more than 2 cylinder" models are a niche market. Honda doesn't put the GoldWing engine in all their bikes because the V6 is for their large format bikes.

Yamaha looked at what it would cost to build a new bike around the V4 with all the bells and whistles and keep the centre of gravity low, and MAINLY to keep costs down....saw that other manufacturers like Harley were successful selling bikes that had V-twins....and went that way. Case closed. Using other logic, had they gone to a country that was primarily pedal power, they would have gone with no engine at all?

As a 2nd Gen rider...I have no "resentment" what Yamaha did in going to a twin. No animosity? Resistance? Galled? Feeling angst? No. Do I wish the SVCT had a V4 liquid cooled shaft drive? YES.

This has been mentioned previously but....consider this. Imagine if the SVCT had all the bells and whistles that it does, maintained the low centre of gravity AND had the liquid cooled 1800cc V4. There would be NO COMPETITION in the motorcycle world. Comparing a V4 SVCT to any V-twin would be like comparing Einstein to an ape.

To Gen 1 and Gen 2 riders....the evolution of the Venture would have been to keep the DNA of the V4, liquid cooled, shaft drive....and add the technology updates that went into the SVCT. Disappointed? Yes. But I'm sure we all wish Yamaha success in the SVCT and Eluder. We all want to keep seeing rider reports and experiences and even though the SVCT has a v-twin, they are still part of the VentureRider.org family. Will there be a heat issue ? Maybe...but looking forward to reports as the summer heats up and miles get racked up on the SVCT. Hope to meet many new members at rallies and events.

Joe...I think you need to cut down on the coffee or switch to decaf. Making you way too hyper !

Believe me, this is not personal but I think you are off the mark on a few points. Any new members reading some of your comments will misunderstand why members with 1st or 2nd Gens were disappointed by the engine configuration of the SVCT. None of the 1st/2nd Gen owners need to eat crow, none of us are disappointed by sales numbers of the SVCT, and I'm sure all of us look forward to reading rider reports. We are NOT looking for negative comments to stand up and shout "I told you so". We as bikers don't care what someone rides. We might joke about Harley and Wing riders but we don't disparage them. "Ride what you want and enjoy the ride".

My highlighting in red are things I take exception to, underlining are things I want to make further comment on.

When the 2nd Gen's came out, there were certain things 1st Gen owners didn't like about the 2nd Gens. Styling was one, the fork mounted fairing was another. Made the Venture to "Harley" looking. There has been a lot of friendly ribbing as to which Gen is better, faster. As mentioned in some of the posts in this thread, whether it is autos or bikes, when the manufacturer makes changes, the "faithful" won't like every change made. As riders of the 1st and 2nd Gens many of the comments were geared towards updates being to the available power, updating the bells and whistles of the bike with infotainment, fuel injection, etc. Because of the success and proven reliability of the V4 liquid cooled and shaft drive most of us would have preferred that. Myself, I came from a 1999 Virago SE which was an 1100cc Vtwin but after experiencing a V4 I would not go back. It's like having a Mustang GT with 8 cylinders and then going back to a 4 cylinder. The V4 in the 1st/2nd Gen were part of the breed/heritage of the Venture model and as I think most of us would agree makes the SVCT the start of a new "breed" and should have been badged with something other than Venture.

When you look at DanielM's list of criteria, I don't think anyone would disagree that the new model required updating. As he said the SVCT compared to the previous Gens is not an equal comparison. The main thing is because of the motor. Had a V4 been put in the SVCT then people would have seen the continuity of the "breed". Without the V4, it isn't the same bike. Daniel has experience on both and his comment is dead on. Consistent with people that went to the SVCT whether from GoldWing like you did, 1st/2nd Gen Venture, Harley, Victory, Indian or what have you.... comparing what is available TODAY in touring bikes (definition - comfortable all day riders with lots of storage to keep it simple) the SVCT is heads and tails above the others. The GoldWing is cramped, the Harley "shakes" constantly.... and the SVCT is completely updated.

RDawson nailed it too when he said "I believe the 1800 water cooled boosted power plant would've been the Venture boom we were looking for".

Couple things you have said....

Sorry....but if I wanted a Vtwin then there were several available when I got my Venture. As now when you selected the SVCT over the other touring bikes CURRENTLY available, the V4 liquid cooled shaft drive Venture was the best choice for me. "Ease in" to the new model?? Yamaha didn't brand it "Venture" to "ease" anyone out of previous models. This is their FULL touring bike current day. To Yamaha.... their full touring bike WAS the Venture and since this is their full touring bike today, they named it Venture. Simple as that. Should they have come up with a new name? Sure....but then as typical Japanese company, why spend money on registering a new name when "Venture" already belonged to them?

Maybe you weren't looking for them since you were riding a GoldWing and had the "Goldwing attitude" of not waving at non-Wing riders? (sorry....joking on this - they just couldn't find the button to have the bike "wave"). Over the years I've seen many Ventures, met many owners. Are there as many as ride the Harley brand? No....but you'll find the same with the SVCT. Harley outsells the other brands in North America so you will see more Harleys than Yamaha's. It's in the numbers. You've seen one other SVCT in Ontario...there will be more but it will be like the 1st and 2nd Gens....what you look for you will see (occassionally).

Following "traditions" ? Yes if they are related to heritage. Concerning technology Canadians excel at adapting to new ideas and technologies. V-twin "dominance" has nothing to do with acceptance of the SVCT or "tradition". If you think Canadians don't update to the newest techology because we "LOVE past traditions" then we'd all be living in igloos.

Again....sorry... but this is not the reason Yamaha went with the V-twin. The reason there are so many v-twins being ridden is because the majority of bikes sold only come with V-twins. How many models of bikes come with more than 2 cylinders? Of those, the "more than 2 cylinder" models are a niche market. Honda doesn't put the GoldWing engine in all their bikes because the V6 is for their large format bikes.

Yamaha looked at what it would cost to build a new bike around the V4 with all the bells and whistles and keep the centre of gravity low, and MAINLY to keep costs down....saw that other manufacturers like Harley were successful selling bikes that had V-twins....and went that way. Case closed. Using other logic, had they gone to a country that was primarily pedal power, they would have gone with no engine at all?

As a 2nd Gen rider...I have no "resentment" what Yamaha did in going to a twin. No animosity? Resistance? Galled? Feeling angst? No. Do I wish the SVCT had a V4 liquid cooled shaft drive? YES.

This has been mentioned previously but....consider this. Imagine if the SVCT had all the bells and whistles that it does, maintained the low centre of gravity AND had the liquid cooled 1800cc V4. There would be NO COMPETITION in the motorcycle world. Comparing a V4 SVCT to any V-twin would be like comparing Einstein to an ape.

To Gen 1 and Gen 2 riders....the evolution of the Venture would have been to keep the DNA of the V4, liquid cooled, shaft drive....and add the technology updates that went into the SVCT. Disappointed? Yes. But I'm sure we all wish Yamaha success in the SVCT and Eluder. We all want to keep seeing rider reports and experiences and even though the SVCT has a v-twin, they are still part of the VentureRider.org family. Will there be a heat issue ? Maybe...but looking forward to reports as the summer heats up and miles get racked up on the SVCT. Hope to meet many new members at rallies and events.

Don, lol...please, tell me how you REALLY feel! :) Thanks for your thoughts! As always...each rider will have their lists and needs. Some are met, some are not. I don't agree with all your assessment or assertions, in rebuttal to my own, but of course, neither do you see it through my lens at 100 percent, in all, or selective focus. That's the nature of forums....while we freely post, we also need to read any rebuttals, or simply the out-take of another. :) I enjoyed reading your take...reflective of my take...and hyper I am not, lol. This is my normal energy...truly...no matter caffeine or not, lol. BTW, I found it most interesting, on reflection, stimulated by American's post...that every stop I made...whether on my way to N.F.'s...or in coming back...if there were 10 bikes in the parking lot...no matter the manufacturer, 80 percent of them, were engine-wise, in the form of a V-Twin. I've never really noticed that...but now...I intend to take my running personal survey, when out from now on. Only for curiosity's sake...and of course, I never implied that Canadian riders are RESISTIVE to change...but only that they might find traditional formats, totally acceptable to continue with, motorcycle purchase to purchase, rather than the avaunt guard. Oh..and trust me...Honda Goldwing riders are some of the most waving, animated riders out there. Just go to a WingDing...and everybody is like a hat shelf 'harry'...bobbing and waving, at anything that moves....old habits. :)

Joe

Don, lol...please, tell me how you REALLY feel! :) Thanks for your thoughts! As always...each rider will have their lists and needs. Some are met, some are not. I don't agree with all your assessment or assertions, but of course, neither do you see it through my lens at 100 percent, in all, or selective focus. That's the nature of forums....while we freely post, we also need to read any rebuttals, or simply the out-take of another. :) I enjoyed reading your take...reflective of my take...and hyper I am not, lol. This is my normal energy...truly...no matter caffeine or not, lol.

Joe

Hopefully our paths cross this summer. Are you going to the meet at Dogman's in Grimsby this Saturday? We have the Ontario rally in Niagara Falls July 19-22nd (think you are away then) or the WNY rally in August? By all means, if you are in the area let's meet up. Can probably arrange a group get together for lunch/dinner/coffee some time. I still haven't seen a "3rd Gen" Venture in person and looking forward to it.

Hopefully our paths cross this summer. Are you going to the meet at Dogman's in Grimsby this Saturday? We have the Ontario rally in Niagara Falls July 19-22nd (think you are away then) or the WNY rally in August? By all means, if you are in the area let's meet up. Can probably arrange a group get together for lunch/dinner/coffee some time. I still haven't seen a "3rd Gen" Venture in person and looking forward to it.

My Social Director, is always on to me about writing down all the gigs we have going on with our Friendship Circle...and I am way bad on that...way bad. Most of those dates have us 'booked', lol. Is Dogman's a restaurant? Is there not a local Yamaha dealership near you Don? Did they never have one on the showroom floor? The one common comment I get, in my haunting of Tim Horton's, lol...is "man...that is one HUGE bike". This is coming from Goldwing owners...can you believe that? It feels in the ride, like a 450 pound bike...all controlled by your hips...and not your shoulders. Even on my ZR7S (of which I have to still install my Corbin Saddle...got it back from N.Y.), you need to move your shoulders and put down English pressure on the grips, that you wish to bank into. With the 964 lb (thank you, Chief, lol) SVTC, you merely...apply glutal pressure from your bum, with the slightest shoulder lean down towards your intended path, and the bike will move and tack off in that direction of that muscle flex. It is that well behaved and balanced. I have to stop raving about this mount, before people permanently start to gag. I think that I am almost in danger of that happening, lol.

Less posting about the SVTC...more saddle time...I promise to everyone....starting now....

I want to go back to the Thousand Islands this October, more than my wife does....so I'm planning on that for a weekend. I love touring the Thousand Islands Parkway...and of course...(sic)...planning my butt-rest, Tim Horton's Dark Roast with double cream. This is non negotiable...lol. If coffee bushes died, planet-wide, I'd shrivel down, just like Oz's Wicked Witch of the West.... "I'm melting....meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelting....". Gone in three minutes....

Cheers,

Joe

... Is Dogman's a restaurant?...

You need to start looking at the Calendar entries on here. For the past 12 years MarCarl have put on a meet 'n greet at their home. This year due to circumstances it will be hosted at Dogman's (Dave) in Grimsby.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=504&day=2018-5-26&c=1

Typically a lunch and then afternoon ride. Several local members and some come up from Western NY.

Address is found in post http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?136029-MarCarl-s-VentureIn-13&p=1036883#post1036883

As to local dealers...my "go to" dealer apparently is no longer a Yamaha dealer. The new dealer I've never been to although apparently they have both an SVCT and Entruder in stock. Just haven't found time in my life to "go see".....now if it were an SVCT V4...... then I'd be all over it.

:-)

You need to start looking at the Calendar entries on here. For the past 12 years MarCarl have put on a meet 'n greet at their home. This year due to circumstances it will be hosted at Dogman's (Dave) in Grimsby.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=504&day=2018-5-26&c=1

Typically a lunch and then afternoon ride. Several local members and some come up from Western NY.

Address is found in post http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?136029-MarCarl-s-VentureIn-13&p=1036883#post1036883

As to local dealers...my "go to" dealer apparently is no longer a Yamaha dealer. The new dealer I've never been to although apparently they have both an SVCT and Entruder in stock. Just haven't found time in my life to "go see".....now if it were an SVCT V4...... then I'd be all over it.

:-)

"now if it were an SVCT V4...... then I'd be all over it."

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL------------------------------------------>LOLOLOLOLOL! That post, made my day...what a hoot! Touche! Touche!

Thanks for where to look...and I'll try to fit some stuff in, in the future. I might be having to be moving down to Denver, Colorado within the next many months...due to my advancement of career. My wife is not too happy about that...at all...but she is a team player, and knows this decision would have been (with her), much 'chew the cud' over. The one good thing...is that I would be much closer to my retirement agenda...back to the Phoenix area...either Fountain Hills, or Apache Junction...and be able to ride every day of the year. THAT is what I am after. I am done...absolutely DONE, with snow flakes....especially in retirement. I'm not going to have my bike sit in the garage for 5 months of the year....when paying for 12 months of insurance. Nope.... Five more years...and Fountain Hills...(hopefully) here we come...!

The only one thing that I would regret leaving Ontario for...and I'll bet you can guess that....yep...leaving access to OHIP. Yep...but, you have to choose what is more important...lifestyle, or having OHIP in your back pocket...always a choice. No true such thing as 'cake and eat it, too'.....

I think Don pretty well nailed the feeling of the 1-2 gen riders. Yes a lot of ragging on each other goes on in good fun, mine faster, mines better, etc. I have both the 1st and 2nd gen bikes. I do wish the 07 had the power and fixed fairing of the 86, I also wish the 86 was as comfortable as the 07. Neither one is perfect but I have a blast on both. I don't hold Ill feelings toward Yam or the owners of the 3rds at all. I don't foresee me ever owning a 3rd gen, V-twins are everywhere and do nothing for me. I will still congratulate anyone who has one and likes it for finding what they wanted, they are great looking bikes no doubt. In my eye it's just another V-twin though as far as me buying one. I ride with HDs, Hondas, and Kawasakis too, I'm just as happy for them finding what they wanted. With that being said, how many of you 3rd genners would have still bought that same bike if it had 4 pistons and a radiator? I'm not asking as a joke but just wonder if Yam would've turned off many riders with it. And yes even though it's a totally new design, as long as it says Venture it'll be a 3rd gen to me, no offense intended.

Oh and by the way both of mine still have cassette players. NANNER NANNER. That's one change I think everybody wanted.

I think Don pretty well nailed the feeling of the 1-2 gen riders. Yes a lot of ragging on each other goes on in good fun, mine faster, mines better, etc. I have both the 1st and 2nd gen bikes. I do wish the 07 had the power and fixed fairing of the 86, I also wish the 86 was as comfortable as the 07. Neither one is perfect but I have a blast on both. I don't hold Ill feelings toward Yam or the owners of the 3rds at all. I don't foresee me ever owning a 3rd gen, V-twins are everywhere and do nothing for me. I will still congratulate anyone who has one and likes it for finding what they wanted, they are great looking bikes no doubt. In my eye it's just another V-twin though as far as me buying one. I ride with HDs, Hondas, and Kawasakis too, I'm just as happy for them finding what they wanted. With that being said, how many of you 3rd genners would have still bought that same bike if it had 4 pistons and a radiator? I'm not asking as a joke but just wonder if Yam would've turned off many riders with it. And yes even though it's a totally new design, as long as it says Venture it'll be a 3rd gen to me, no offense intended.

Oh and by the way both of mine still have cassette players. NANNER NANNER. That's one change I think everybody wanted.

If it was a liquid cooled, shaft drive v4 and everything else being equal slam dunk I would have bought that. As I said before, bottom line is I was looking for a new bike this spring and out of all of the bikes in the market available today the third gen venture is in my opinion the best of the breed.

I would have looked at the Star Venture if had the V4 water cooled configuration, but I do not have a problem with the V-Twin Yamaha decided to go with, you really have to more than a short demo ride to see what this bike really has to offer.

We would have, in a heartbeat. We simply did not want anything to do with the 2018 Wing. As for V-Twins...being that I never had one...if the SVTC would have been a liquid cooled V-4 Max...I know that I would be raving on about that bike...and I know it. When something pleases me...I publish the fact!

I just through circumstance, now know...that I LOVE everything about the ride, feel-in-travel, sound envelope, of a V-Twin..so now that I am aware of that...I most likely will stay with a V-Twin until I can't ride due to infirmity, or gross illness. But again, would I have gone with a V-4 Max 1700 cc SVTC...yep. Yep.

I ran with multi cylinder'ed , liquid cooling for decades....and I would have merely added the Yamaha moniker to the history list..... :)