IGNORED

new VENTURE OWNER what did i do!

Unbelievable price,you can`t even buy the wheels and tires for that much here in the Northwest,everybody wants a million dollars for their stuff around here,to much California influence I guess,I also rode Goldwings for a lot of years,I bought this Venture--92 and fell in love ,more power better handling,my wife says the seat is a lot better than the wing,great buy.

:cool10::cool10:

Unbelievable price,you can`t even buy the wheels and tires for that much here in the Northwest,everybody wants a million dollars for their stuff around here,to much California influence I guess,I also rode Goldwings for a lot of years,I bought this Venture--92 and fell in love ,more power better handling,my wife says the seat is a lot better than the wing,great buy.

:cool10::cool10:

I agree with your wife, my 86 is more comfortable than either of the goldwings I have, after 500 miles the difference is very noticeable, and the Venture has the power to run off and hide from the wing too.

I like the Silver one better.Which one has the least amount of miles? I have ridden 2 of these to over 150,000 miles and have a 3rd with 65,000 (87). I would put the Silver plastic on the one with the least miles and ride it until it desolves in a pile of plastic goo.

Silver one throttle snaps back nice has new plugs, but today I looked in the gas tanks and saw corrosion , not super bad but enough for a cleaning.

Man looks like a pain to remove!

Brown one , I removed carbs and there was water in the he cylinder as I expected , carbs are shot.

I removed the plugs and the carbs, vacuumed out and sprayed in some good lube.

Of course the gas tank looks good in this one.

I was thinking should I hook up a temp gas tank to the fuel pump of the silver one and see if it fires and how it runs.

Then remove carbs put them on t the brown one and see if it fires?

I like the brown one because its a Royal, but really is there really that big of a difference besides compressor and cassette?

Seems like with water in the cylinder on the brown one, its a no brainer , but I am going to have to get a carb on it to see if it runs.

But hate to remove carb from Silver one.

Silver one has 48,000 brown has 78,000

I was just thinking , on the brown one I should turn the motor over , wrench -crank,

Is that easy to get to?

Drain oil inspect for water and change filter. Really No way of telling how the cylinders are without removal, but some mystery oil and soak for a few days and it could be fine.

But again I only have one good set of carbs. And it has more miles.

After talking more with the owner, I see what he was thinking,

He got the brown one 1st, then the silver, he liked the brown one better so he thought he would put the rebuilt carbs from the silver one on them but didn't finish, left brown one exposed!

Edited by moto_boy

I think I would go with the 'silver' (Salt Lake Silver and Anthony Gray) Standard. Fewer miles, presumed better condition engine and carbs. You may be able to clean the 1988 tank without removing it from the frame, but removing the fuel tank is easier then swapping the engines. Since much of the 1988 luggage is already removed, removing the rear sub-frame (which is required to remove the fuel tank) would go fairly easily.

All the plastic will interchange. You could even move the audio and CLASS to the 1988 from the 1986, if you wished. The electrical wiring would have to be adapted, but physically/mechanically the components will fit right in.

To turn the engine by hand, you can get access to the flywheel thru the round cover on the left side that is held on by 2 cross recess screws. That cover is sealed with O-rings so you should not need any gaskets, but might want to replace the 27 year old o-rings. Under that you just need a 32mm? socket to turn the flywheel. Do not try to turn it over using the smaller hex head that you will see under that cover, that smaller hex is the bolt that holds the flywheel to the crank.

Since there was water in the carbs, did you check the oil for water?

No I get that.

I am in no hurry, i usually will not do anything to a bike unless in get motor running , then do brakes and all the rest.

So I will have to soak pistons more, then I will seafoam them clean out with carb clean or something like it.

blow them out.

Or I will get a false reading .

I then compression test.

I will do this with both bikes now. And not try and start the silver one again .

I have not tried to start the brown bike , so I think I with the start with this one.

And hope the starter is good.

Maybe thats why the prior owner wanted to run the brown one. Never told me about starter.

And young can easily remove the fuel pump and unplug the 2 wire connector. Done.

I will have carbs removed with intakes open so should get good reading , I will do each cylinder dry and see what's the readings are, then with a small shot of oil if I need to de a wet test.

Once that is complete with plugs in no carbs I will run the starter on the brown one and see if it is acting up.

No matter what with compression test, done and carbs cleaned- new fuel

I will still try and get it running . I will try any get a good runner before I do any brakes ECT. Why clean up a bike that doesn't run.

Any thoughts ?