IGNORED

Flying One Liners

Flyinfool

[h=3]Flying One Liners [/h] "Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death ... I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

-- At the entrance to the old SR-71 operating base Kadena, Japan

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."

"Blue water Navy truism: There are more planes in the ocean than submarines in the sky."

-- From an old carrier sailor

"When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash."

"What is the similarity between air traffic controllers and pilots? If a pilot screws up, the pilot dies; If ATC screws up, the pilot dies."

"Never trade luck for skill."

"Weather forecasts are horoscopes with numbers."

"Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully complete the flight."

"Flashlights are tubular metal containers kept in a flight bag for the purpose of storing dead batteries."

"When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten."

"There is no reason to fly through a thunderstorm in peacetime."

-- Sign over squadron ops desk at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ, 1970

"If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to."

"You know that your landing gear is up and locked when it takes full power to taxi to the terminal."

"You know that your landing gear is up and locked when it takes full power to taxi to the terminal."

650280_gear_up.jpgThis aircraft was in my squadron. The entire crew were "instructor" rated. LOL We had someone sneak into the flying squadron brief room one night and posted similar saying. First indication of a gear up landing is TRT (total rated thrust) to taxi.

One I like from my aircraft incident investigation days. The reason for 90% of all aircraft crashes? Lack of airspeed. A Motor quits, not enough air speed. Stall out, airspeed again.

Back in the days when I was working on aircraft weapons release systems, we got a call to trouble shoot an issue one of the load crews wrote up in the log book. Just a bit of back ground, the load crews are responsible for loading the bombs, missles and ammo on the aircraft before the sortie. The last thing they do is to check for stay voltage at the firing pins where the ejector impluse cartridges go.

So we get to the aircraft , check the log book and here is the write up from the load crew. "Suspect intermitent stray voltage."

So we checked and did not find any intermitent stay voltage, cleared the write up, impluse carts got installed by the next crew and off they went.