IGNORED

Stator cover removal

Ok, I removed all the bolts on my stator cover, pulled the shift linkages off and it wont budge. I've never done anything like a stator before and I dont want to break something. I whacked it with a soft faced hammer a few times but it seems stuck tight and I even removed the cover for that big bearing that's connected to the back wheel. Whatever its called lol! So now I have to wait for a gasket for that....

Oh well. So anyways how do I get that left side cover off? Any help would again be appreciated :D

Go around it's parameter a bunch - use a flashlight and make sure you have ALL the screws out of the outside edges - make sure and double for sure you have all the screws out!! If I recall, the cover is doweled onto the case - just take a rubber or plastic mallet and give it a wrap on the edge of the cover - enough to break the gasket loose. Then you pull straight out and like mentioned, your pulling against the magnets so its tight - nice little quick jiggling.. Also, there are one or two cover screws that have copper washers on em - make sure you get those back in the proper holes..

When u r ready to put the cover back on I found it much easier to fight the pull of the magnets by going down to the hardware store and buying 4 new soft bolts. I then cut the heads off the new bolts and stuck the threaded portion into the 4 corners of the motor to act as a guide for the cover u r trying to get into position. I used gasket cement on mine and its much less messy when you can put the cemented gasket onto the engine and it's held in place by the 4 guide studs you've installed. Now you can wrap your fingers over the edge of the cover to counteract the strong magnetic pull you'll be fighting.

Big Auggie

When u r ready to put the cover back on I found it much easier to fight the pull of the magnets by going down to the hardware store and buying 4 new soft bolts. I then cut the heads off the new bolts and stuck the threaded portion into the 4 corners of the motor to act as a guide for the cover u r trying to get into position. I used gasket cement on mine and its much less messy when you can put the cemented gasket onto the engine and it's held in place by the 4 guide studs you've installed. Now you can wrap your fingers over the edge of the cover to counteract the strong magnetic pull you'll be fighting.

Big Auggie

Sounds like a Great idea!!!:banana::banana:

Big Auggie

yep, it helps alot, both removing and installing.

Fred Vogt posted the idea back in 2007.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?12752-Stator-helpful-hint

• 2 weeks later...