IGNORED

Is triking my 2nd Gen Venture worth it?

KevinR

I have a 2006 Midnight Venture, 58K miles, in great shape, needs nothing, and am thinking trike. Problem is, it seems no one but Hannigan offers a real trike kit and the nearest Hannigan dealer is almost 200 miles away. There don't seem to be many Venture trikes for sale, and as well as I know this bike it would seem to be logical to have this one done. At 58K miles, does this make sense to spend maybe $15K on it? What's a reasonable life expectancy on my Venture? It's either that or trade it in on a Wing at roughly $27K plus my trade.

I have my 2009 RSV Hannigan kit for just over 3 years. I really should have done it a year sooner. Hannah and I both love it. I would (just my opinion) consider doing a clutch upgrade as I did. You'll save a few bucks by not buying rear tires every year. I personally don't think the reverse kit is cost effective. Simply do not park nose first downhill!! On level ground the trike paddle-walks about as easily as if it were a two wheeler. Do get both the aux gas tank and the Steer Lite option. The running boards look nice but you can save a chunk of $$ by leaving them off. I don't miss the parking brake, I always leave it in 1st gear. The Hannigan kit also provides a bit more storage space than the two saddle bags. Sell the replaced parts for a enough money to take a week or two vacation. I will say this about the trike kit. It took me a week or so to get used to riding it. All the things I had learned in 50+ years of two wheeling...many of them no longer apply. First and scariest for me was not rolling over in the corners. It took a while to get used to thinking I was going off the other side in a corner! (smile). Once I got used to its cornering I can pretty much hang in there with my two wheeled friends. Some of them even think I might want to slow it down a touch in some of the corners!

Looks like everyone's responses help my decision, thanks very much! BTW, I did the clutch upgrade about 10K miles ago, best thing I've done to the bike since owning it. What a difference! And yes, definitely need the steer lite option, anyone triking a bike would have to be nuts to not rake the front end unless you have biceps like Popeye! I just wish there was a dealer closer to me, looks like the closest one is about 180 miles away. Oh well.

Looks like everyone's responses help my decision, thanks very much! BTW, I did the clutch upgrade about 10K miles ago, best thing I've done to the bike since owning it. What a difference! And yes, definitely need the steer lite option, anyone triking a bike would have to be nuts to not rake the front end unless you have biceps like Popeye! I just wish there was a dealer closer to me, looks like the closest one is about 180 miles away. Oh well.

its not how close they are to you, are they any good. you want to be able to pick up your trike and not have to go back and have them fix what they should have done the first time.

Correct on the "How close is the dealer". My dealer (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Volunteer-Cycles-and-Trikes-LLC/169698339712547) did my conversion and made a small error that I discovered on the way home. The distance is about 80 miles for me. I did some overnight research on this website, quickly found the answer and took the trike back the next day. Randy had the fix done literally in about 5 minutes. A good dealer is like a good friend...keepem close no matter how far they may be (smile).

There is a super nice 2007 (I believe) white Goldwing trike going up for sale in my area (W. Ky. about 20 miles from Hannigans) It is being sold due to the recent death of owner. I don't know any details such as price, etc. but I can put you in contact if you want to check it out. pm me if any interest.

I have had my 2006 Venture trike only a year and both my wife and I enjoy it so much. I looked at getting my 2000 venture triked but could not justify $15,000 on that old a machine. After almost 40 years on 2 wheels, 3 is different but lots of fun. I may not keep up with 2 wheels on a straight but once we get to the corners they are just in my way.

I just added an extra tank to the trike this weekend so just waiting for some nice weather (freezing rain right now) to start riding. I am planning to go to the Hannigan 40 year event in June.

I do not think you will go wrong with getting your 2006 converted to a trike. Happy riding.

Love the Trike kit on my 2008, even though I'm still having issues from shoddy workmanship from the shop that did it. Glad that Hannigan pulled their franchise... Before u pull the trigger,,, make sure they have actually done a few RSV/Hannigan conversions... They might do great Honda/Harley conversions, but that doesn't mean they can do an RSV correctly... I should have listened to my own advice :-(.