IGNORED

replaceing fuel filter

I have a California model Royal Star Venture 1999 and I am trying to change the fuel filter. Any tips on getting out of the bike, do I have to remove fuel pump to do it, shop manual says to remove it. Also the pump stopped making the clicking noise when you turn the key on a few weeks ago, I placed my hand on the pump and turned the key still no noise but I did feel a weak clicking feeling in the pump, could this be a sign of a weak pump. Have about 52k on the bike. Any suggestions wold be very helpful.

I think a 99 is a second generation Venture and is marketed as a "RSV" or Royal Star Venture.

See here for Fuel Filter change info

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?76515-2nd-Gen-changing-the-fuel-filter

The fuel pump not clicking is not a good sign. There is also an article about Fuel Pumps in the read only Tech Section of SECOND GEN AND ROYAL STAR TECHNICAL LIBRARY forums.

Yes you are going to have to remove the fuel pump to get to the filter. The fuel pump only beats when the bowls are low. Try flipping the kill switch on and off with the ignition switch in run. It should give you a couple of beats each time. It's not all that difficult to remove it if you're not getting anything. Also try tapping the black plastic and see if that helps. If you do need to replace it there's a ton of info here. Try the tech section, or do a search for fuel pump. On the filter. It's a pita getting it removed as it comes out the top. A lot of us have relocated it up under the passenger seat.

Because it's such a PITA to replace in it's current location, why not relocate it to the area under the seat. This way there will be no excuse not to change it every season. There is enough existing hose to relocate it, you may have to trim some of it. As long as there are no kinks or pinching on the hose, and that the filter is orientated properly for flow, it's one of those things to do to the bike to save the skin on your knuckles.. the bigger the hands, the harder this job is.. Probably why some RSV owners neglect their filters which can lead to premature fuel pump failure and poor engine performance (I know as previous owner never changed it and it was black as black can be and caused a few problems when I first had the bike..)

Its an easy mod to do and well worth the effort.

I have managed to change mine without pulling the pump. Here is a link to some instructions. Also in tech section there is some listing for "over the counter" parts that substitute for the Yamaha parts. Fuel filter FYI is--Duralast FF3330DL Wix 33095 or fram G3606

This is how I did it with mine and it works great. I was changing the fuel pump at the time also.

Thanks for all the help, I have changed the filter, not easy but do able. Next time will be easier. Old one was really dark and cruddy. Bad filter has probably been overworking the fuel pump. Checked the condition of the points in the pump and they are also in bad condition. Will be replacing them. Hope this cures my starting off problem.

2000 miles or 30 months. But with the fuels we get now......... Its a bugger, but once you do it you kind of figure it out. Some have said that the long crooked needle nose pliers help out.

I meant to reply to the post asking how long this ugly job takes---

Well, I'll tell you what, that was a PITA to put it mildly!! Fortunately is was a warm sunny day, so that in itself made it nice to be out in the driveway. I spent the afternoon, and that includes running to get a replacement filter and a few parts needed. I did relocate mine under the seat. I bought a 5/16" nipple and I cut maybe 5" off of the hose going to the gas petcock and used that to extend the one going to the pump, and tucked it in under where the front of the seat and gas tank meet.

The fram G3606 match in Purolator is a F29160, which is what I used.

The Purolator F 100 24 is a much smaller filter.

All that to change a gas filter that should take all of 5-10 minutes

Have now replaced fuel filter and fuel pump and this has solved the cold start up and back firing ---now running like it should. Thanks for all the help and tips. Will be doing the Run for the Wall ride from California to Washington D.C. getting the bike ready for the long ride.