IGNORED

Flat tire

dna9656

Got a new front tire on the Venture Friday, got a good deal too. Went to Tacoma Friday night, spent the night there and came out to a flat front tire. Called AAA, they said 2.5 hours minimum before anyone would be there; screw that. Called my son, he came out. we took the wheel off and found a air compressor at a gas station, learned the valve was leaking. new core and so far it's holding air. Moral of the story?> I donno if there is one.

I have had that happen to me a couple times. Now that I have my own tire changer I inspect the valve and put a new core in every time I change a tire.

Funny you mention that... while at Harbor freight my son noticed the bead breaker there for $40.00 item#60810 but you need the Portable tire changer Item #69686 $40.00 too. $80.00 to be able to do my own tire changing? That's a deal!

Sounds like you didn't do the 'spit bubble' test for the valve stem like everybody else does in tire work, even if the work performed by someone else.

I carry spare valves, a stem tool, and electric compressor for those kind of events. You should do the same..........what's the boy scout motto again........BE PREPARED

Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Funny you mention that... while at Harbor freight my son noticed the bead breaker there for $40.00 item#60810 but you need the Portable tire changer Item #69686 $40.00 too. $80.00 to be able to do my own tire changing? That's a deal!

I looked at those before I got mine. The one I got has all delron tips. It is a No-Mar Pro about $1,200.00. I would have to change a lot of tires to pay for it but I didn't buy it to go into business.

Sounds like you didn't do the 'spit bubble' test for the valve stem like everybody else does in tire work, even if the work performed by someone else.

Interesting you mention that. I had new tires put on in December. In February, the front tire kept going flat. I did the spit test on the valve and water spray everywhere else....nothing EVER showed up! Finally took it to the store that installed the tire. They said the valve was leaking and gave it back to me after they put a new valve on. It seems the original metal valve was worn on the seal side and hit or miss with making a seal. I never saw any air leaking...

Tire has been fine since. Go figure!