IGNORED

Angled vale stems

Looking to buy angled valve stems, do they work on 1st gens? What size is the hole in the stock wheel? I have read 8 mm and 10mm are standard sizes for the hole in the wheel; also inch dimensions have been given. What size do we have? Are 45 degree stems work better in the front (back)? What about 90 degree stems? I have read that pointing them out the right side is better because you have more open access to them, that makes sense to me....I have also read that the ALL METAL stems are better than the rubber stems...Is there a brand that seems to work better on this wheel than others?

Any input would be appreciated.

Edited by dna9656

Good questions: I can't answer about brand, etc..but they were 8mm in size.

I went to Cycle Gear and they put on two brand new metal ones for my 1st Gen. Front was a straight, rear was 90 degree...bent to left. Rotor is in the way on right side rear. There are three Cycle Gear stores near you...well...somewhat near. Closest is in Seattle area. My 89 VR had original metal ones and the front kept leaking...so...new style was put on.

I've heard about putting a 90 bend on some fronts causes them to hit parts of the frame or some such. Maybe if you go with a really narrow rim on front...Who knows!

david

I put a 90 on the rear pointed to left (due to aforementioned disc) and the front has a 90 I think. The front is a 90 also. Instead of pointing it straight out to left or right it is pointed to right side, not on a 90 direct out but half way between centerline of wheel and centerline of axle. Does that make sense? If it was straight on a 90 you couldn't hardly get your nibs in there to do pressures.

Thanks to all! I went to Tacoma Power Sports this past Saturday after dealing with my leaking front tire valve (yeah the front tire, the one that was mounted the day before with the leaky schrader valve) and told the counter guy what I wanted, he gave me a pair with out researching the size saying they "were all the same; aren't they?" I asked him if they were the correct size for MY bike; he looks it up and goes in the back and comes out with another set.

I found this GREAT little chart on the web. It seems ALL VRs use the same size. 8.3mm....

http://www.kurveygirl.com/valve/guide/KurveyGirl%20-%20Yamaha%20Motorcycles%20Valve%20Stems%20Guide.pdf

Edited by dna9656

Heres another info nugget. If you are using the balance beads it i recommended you use the valve cores with the "filter" It keeps them beads from jamming up the seat when you check air pressure. but as I have found out sometimes you can get them to fit into some valve tubes. Unfortunately if you say go to check your air pressure at the hotel for the days ride, and it gets one stuck in the seat you have to put pressure in to get the bead unstuck. Want to know how I know this?

I bet it's somewhat like finding out the tire shop put a different valve core in your tire valve. I know those little vales can leak for many reasons. When I worked in a tire shop we checked the valves and the tire for leaks before we let the tire out of the shop for this very reason. It really frosted my cake ya know? And why can't the tire shops line up the dot on the tire opposite the tire valve like they are supposed to? Yeah I know "we're gonna balance it anyway"....but that ain't the point. Car shops don't do it either. I wasn't a TRAINED mechanic until I was in the Armed Forces, before that I just did what seemed to work. I had no tech data, no torque wrench, heck I didn't get a socket set til I was 19; I had to borrow them till then..... The USAF taught me to follow tech data and if it wasn't in there always walk in the spirit of the data. Like all screws and bolts are oriented with the head UP, (and/or) FORWARD, (and/o)r OUTBOARD, that way if the nut came off the bolt would be more likely to stay in position....

Edited by dna9656

Well apparently Yamaha has the only valve stem of the size you'll find on your Venture Royale. Kuveygirl.com has a chart, says a Venture (1200) uses a valve size 8.3mm. The part number (151693) Bike Master shows as fitting our bike is too big. After being assured it fit by some one at bikemaster in 3 separate emails I took the tires to my tire guy and the valve is too large. The 2 M/C dealers in town don't have a angled tire valve in that size.

It's like I'm in some kind of Geographically oddity; 2 weeks from everywhere.

Well apparently Yamaha has the only valve stem of the size you'll find on your Venture Royale. Kuveygirl.com has a chart, says a Venture (1200) uses a valve size 8.3mm. The part number (151693) Bike Master shows as fitting our bike is too big. After being assured it fit by some one at bikemaster in 3 separate emails I took the tires to my tire guy and the valve is too large. The 2 M/C dealers in town don't have a angled tire valve in that size.

It's like I'm in some kind of Geographically oddity; 2 weeks from everywhere.

The 90° metal valve stem that came from the factory on the 1989-1993 rear wheels is available from Yamaha. Part number 93900-00016-00. http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-93900-00016-00.html

I doubt that Yamaha changed the rear rim hole for the valve stem when they went to 90° stems, so I'll bet the later valve stem will fit your MKIs.

EDIT: it appears that 93900-00016-00 has been superseded by 93900-00025-00.

Here is a pic of 93900-00025-00.

yam-93900-00025-00.jpgStem.jpg

Edited by Prairiehammer

Thanks all!

Apparently the parts guys at my local Yamaha Dealer aren't as sharp as you Kevin, they had nothing on hand that was angeled and had no idea what size the hole is. They did measure a valve for me, (a straight one) and it measured 8.0mm.

No cycle gear stores around here.

Edited by dna9656