IGNORED

Mobile homes and Tornadoes

kevin-vic-b.c.

I do not intend to be insensitive or anything here...... Watching the news this evening and they are doing a story on tornadoes wrecking an area that has been disaster area caused by tornadoes in the past.

The story says that the tornado hit a mobile home park unfortunately killing one person in their home.

Can anyone tell me why the local governments permit mobile homes to be placed in these so-called tornado alleys? Would a solid construction home on a concrete foundation not be the "correct" construction method in such an area?

:think: :confused24:

because Mobile Homes is some peoples only avenue of owning a home... The Government has their noses peoples lives as it is without tell them where they can or can't not live..IF you gonna stop people from parking a mobile home in a spot, then why let some1 build in tornado alley? truth is you can't tell where a tornado is gonna strike in these areas.....

If I lived there and had to rebuild, it would be a well constructed geodesic dome with a rapid pressure equalization sytem designed for tornado response to keep the building from exploding from sudden external depressurization as the twister goes by.

Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Since most all very well built homes will not survive a direct hit from a tornado, it does not necessarily make a lot of difference.

What's the difference in people building near the coast and loosing everything to a hurricane and then rebuilding?

It comes down to "you pays your money and you takes your chances".

Randy

Edit: one picture I will never forget about a tornado was where a tornado crossed a field, then a paved highway and when it crossed the highway, it took the pavement with it. I don't think ANY dwelling above ground would survive that.

Edited by Venturous Randy

My older brother had a home built in Key Largo in the late 70s. Living area was 12' off the ground, entire house, including the ROOF was poured, reinforced concrete. It was rated to withstand 300 mph winds. I'd have a hard time imagining even a tornado taking that house down.:fishin:

I have seen where tornados hit mobile home parks and I have seen where tornados have hit neighborhoods filled with very well structured homes, even cities with built constructed of everything known to man and all areas are devastated and or flattened.

Oh, I do agree now that a well structured home makes your chances of survival a tid bit better rated over that of a mobile home, but in my opinion, an underground storm shelter is about the only real safety one has in a tornado. I have a well built brick home. All my neighbors have well built brick homes, but last year I had an underground storm shelter installed because of the devastation I have seen.

Why does the Government allow mobile homes to be placed in tornado alley you ask...As soon as I read your question, my first thoughts were the same as Randy had, like why are there homes on the coastal mountains where heavy rains cause mud slides, why rebuild in ANY area where Katrina hit. Earth quakes, mud slides, over-flowing river banks, hurricanes, tornados and even volcanos....they happen everywhere and in every country, so I have to ask, where is this safe haven one can live on earth without EVER being in fear of total loss from Mother nature? Please don't take my off the wall question as being sarcastic, for that is not my intent here, but I don't know of a safe place (or structure) where one can live with out any worry when Mother nature decides to unleash her furry.

Edited by Eck

Since most all very well built homes will not survive a direct hit from a tornado, it does not necessarily make a lot of difference.

What's the difference in people building near the coast and loosing everything to a hurricane and then rebuilding?

It comes down to "you pays your money and you takes your chances".

Randy

Edit: one picture I will never forget about a tornado was where a tornado crossed a field, then a paved highway and when it crossed the highway, it took the pavement with it. I don't think ANY dwelling above ground would survive that.

Somewhat agree with both YOUR comment and midnightrider1300's........but, it DOES depend a little on exactly WHO is paying the money and WHO is taking the chances. Sort of like those skiers or mountain climbers getting lost or stranded in the mountains......then requiring a MILLION dollar helicopter evac mission to save them. If we started sending them the bill........there'd be a lot fewer millionaires skiing out of bounds.....and going in anywhere without an exit plan.

On the gov't being involved side of things......if there's much of a track record, like people building houses on a flood plain.....OR in a tornado alley.....I think it makes all kinds of sense to restrict construction. They DO it in some areas......just not enough apparently. (There's always that 20/20 hindsight factor that makes us wonder! :-)

I have seen where tornados hit mobile home parks and I have seen where tornados have hit neighborhoods filled with very well structured homes, even cities with built constructed of everything known to man and all areas are devastated and or flattened.

Oh, I do agree now that a well structured home makes your chances of survival a tid bit better rated over that of a mobile home, but in my opinion, an underground storm shelter is about the only real safety one has in a tornado. I have a well built brick home. All my neighbors have well built brick homes, but last year I had an underground storm shelter installed because of the devastation I have seen.

Why does the Government allow mobile homes to be placed in tornado alley you ask...As soon as I read your question, my first thoughts were the same as Randy had, like why are there homes on the coastal mountains where heavy rains cause mud slides, why rebuild in ANY area where Katrina hit. Earth quakes, mud slides, over-flowing river banks, hurricanes, tornados and even volcanos....they happen everywhere and in every country, so I have to ask, where is this safe haven one can live on earth without EVER being in fear of total loss from Mother nature? Please don't take my off the wall question as being sarcastic, for that is not my intent here, but I don't know of a safe place (or structure) where one can live with out any worry when Mother nature decides to unleash her furry.

Unfortunately I have to agree with Eck......

There is no place in this country to build a home of any type that is safe from mother nature. There is no state that has never had a tornado, the USA has more tornadoes than the rest of the world combined. The USA averages 1,000 per year, Canada is a distant second averaging "only" 100 per year. Some of that may simply be the better reporting than any other country?

I guess we need to move everyone off of the west coast because they have earth quakes and volcanoes, we need to move everyone out of the middle of the country because of the tornadoes, and we need to get everyone out of the south and east coast to protect them from hurricanes. Look out Mexico and Canada, here we come.

Even a poured concrete home rated for 300MPH wind is not safe, tornadoes have been clocked at over 300 MPH. Will that concrete home still stop a 2,000 lb car that the wind picked up that is coming in at 300 mph? How about a 5 ton oak tree?

I do agree that a mobile home is less safe than a well built home. A near miss will leave the well built home standing with some damage but that same near miss could still totally wipe out a mobile home.

Yes there are some areas that are very prone to natural disasters and should not have any buildings located there. Like places along a river that flood every couple of years. I did speak to one person that lives in a flood prone area. They look at it as they get all new stuff every couple of years almost for free cuz I'm paying for it. The inconviniance is worth it to always have new stuff.

I helped put the U.S. Virgin Islands back together after "Hugo" in the early 90s. I saw things torn up that were unbelievable. And things that had stood for hundreds of yrs and not damaged. Power lines and telephone lines tied in knots that were not possible. Sidewalks picked up off the Harbor front and moved inland and sat down again complete. Concrete houses picked up and moved or destroyed. If these storms want something they are going to get it.

The USA averages 1,000 per year, Canada is a distant second averaging "only" 100 per year. Some of that may simply be the better reporting than any other country?

I think it has a lot to do with The Gulf of Mexico and the fact that Canadians often leave the southern door open. The gulf pumps a lot of warm moist air into the atmosphere which causes strong storms when it meets cold air from Canada.

I just adopt the attitude ... "it will never happen to me" and go about enjoying life.

Similarly to tornadoes is forest fires ... why would anyone want to build their home in an area that is prime forest fire country ... because "it will never happen to them".

Here in Western Canada it is mostly all forest and a lot of the areas are highly prone to forest fire due to the dry summers and sometimes lack of snow pack such as this year. Yet homes are built and forest fires happen and homes are destroyed. People rebuild and go on about their merry way. Over the past 15 years there has been massive devastation of property due to forest fires. Many people and businesses have lost everything while at the same time you see some buildings that got totally missed yet still right in the middle of all of it. You set down your roots and take your chances.

Life itself is a gamble.

I think it has a lot to do with The Gulf of Mexico and the fact that Canadians often leave the southern door open. The gulf pumps a lot of warm moist air into the atmosphere which causes strong storms when it meets cold air from Canada.

So once again is is those Canadians leaving the door open........:snow::snow::snow2::snow::snow2::cold: :cold: :cold: :cold:

Well I can tell you part of the story. I was a GI living smack dab in the middle of Tornado Alley in south western OK. Being of little income all I could afford was a mobile home at the time. Housing was tight, and stick house were for us out of reach financially. So a mobile home was what we had as we did not qualify for on base housing. Insurance was high, I actually think we may pay less now for a stick built CCb house in Fla with way more SQ FT. Our house was anchored with 6 or 8 large straps that went around the frame and also straps that went around the "box" of the house. I guess its all what you get use to.

but then again look at the pictures from Joplin a couple years back. Sure was a lot of houses of foundation type piled up on lots too.

I can say this because a long time ago I used to live in a mobile home for awhile.

If you put a mobile home in an area that has not had a tornado in the last 100 years... a tornado would destroy that home within months. Why? Because mobile homes attract tornados. Kind of like the way that lightning rods attract lightning. :innocent:

I think a stick built home will fare better, but I see lots of them being destroyed as well. I think the reason mobile home parks are so devastated is due to the concentration of the population per acre. Usually not a lot of yard and open space in a mobile home park. Sort of like airplane crashes make the news on a larger scale than automobile crashes due to the number of people affected in one single event.

And this is why we recently bought a mobile home ... check this out ...

Weather it be fire, floods, earthquakes, or tornados, a mobile home makes a lot of sense. It's cheaper, it's replaceable, and when it is replaced the new one will have all the upgrades that have been invented in the last 15-20 years and be brand new. You can even end up with that 60"LED TV you've always wanted.... :) Been thinking very seriously about putting one on a piece of dirt that I own, and treat it as a get-away from the crowds....

Born & Live here in Okla. And I seen weird stuff

Like how a tornado will take a home apart yet leaves flower pots on the porch untouched or wipe out a whole block of homes and there's one home dead center of the track in perfect condition

no matter what home you have brick - wood - mfg home their no match for a tornado

I lived through several tornados and I tell you for a fact that they sounded like a hundred jet engines at full power so loud my ears ringed for a week or so!

All I can say is if a tornado is coming just watch the water in your toilet bowl....If it disappears (goes down the drain) you better duck because the tornado is outside your door.. The air pressure in your house will change dramatically and the first sign of air pressure change is the water in the toilet begins to move a little and then it goes down the drain all by itself.

Once the water disappears this means the windows and roof could, or is, about to blow out, so make darn sure you have a motorcycle helmet (any helmet) on while watching the toilet water and have a heavy quilt/ blanket to cover up with and a pillow to cover your face from glass and such. The blanket and pillows should be placed in your bath tub so that you can jump from the toilet to the tub and get under cover quickly

If you have a storm shelter, don't be Macho man and wait until the tornado is in your yard before you head out to the shelter...I see where many try to "out smart" the tornado and yet they know nothing about a storm or what type of clouds to look for.

Be safe folks, tornado season is upon us.

I guess I am bad that way.

When the sirens go off I usually head outside to watch. If I see any sign of it,I'm outa here or in the basement.

One of the problems around here is that they have started sounding the sirens here for ALL thunderstorms. Everyone is so used to the sirens that they now ignore them, "its just a little thunder and lightening, no big deal". They no longer have a way to let us know if something really bad is coming.

If none of those responding on the thread did not want the risk of living in a mobile home, I can't understand why they ride motorcycles. Wonder which act possesses a higher risk?

I have to say that the same thought went thru my mind.

There are millions and millions of people that live in Tornado Alley that have never seen a tornado.

Randy