I have recently picked up a neglected 2005 RSTD. The carbs were leaking, so I took them off, cleaned up the seals, and looked for obvious signs of deterioration.

Finding none, I replaced the float bowl gaskets and put back on bike. Started right up, then slowly died, and fuel began running out of the upper overflow tube. I removed them again, and went through the float valves, cleaning and checking them for leaks. Satisfied, I replaced the carbs, hooked up all wires, hoses, etc. and she started right up again. Only now I have gas coming out all over one carb (front right) even up to the upper boot. Before I order every damn part in the carbs, is there something ( a diaphragm or something) I am missing?

P.S. I have owned and worked on 2nd Gen Royal Stars for 10 years, and on motorcycles for at least 25 years. While I cannot claim to be a mechanic, I do enjoy bringing dead and abused bikes back to life. If there is an easy fix, I would prefer that to separating the carbs!

Pull the carbs off and remove the bowls. Invert them and spray some water with a little dish soap on the float valves. Blow in the fuel line. Look for bubbles around the float needles and around where the float valve fits into the carburetor body. Then you'll know just where it's leaking.

If it turns out you are in of need needle valve set, I have one set of 4, part number 5UH-14107-20-00 plus float bowl o rings part number 4XV-14562-00-00.I sold the bike before I could rebuild the carbs. Half price plus shipping.

Scott A.

Scott is exactly right. There is an o-ring around the float seat. It is more than likely flat or broken. I did the same rescue on a 97 with the same issue. If I remember correctly the seat assy was @$23.00. The dealer in my area had the o-ring (no part number) so I didn't have to replace the entire seat assy. Check the rubber on the needle. I had one that was torn also. While you are in the carbs, check the float levels. There is a thread on how to do it. When you get them to stop leaking............Sea Foam.......Sea Foam.......Sea Foam.......Sea Foam!!!

Yeah, there is not much in these carbs that could cause the problems you describe with leaking gas beyond bad floats or bad float needle valves and seats. I have never seen one of these plastic floats go bad, but I guess it is possible. More likely though is that someone used some really harsh carb cleaner that damaged either the neoprene tips on the needle valves or the o-rings on the seats. And, of course, the float levels need to be properly set.

Goose