IGNORED

clutch mpg clutch levers 1987 with sidecar

my clutch is slipping when in 5th gear and nailing it.what clutch plates are you guys replacing stock with? the lever is not adjustable and although i've never had a problem with any other machines it seems to be a long pull to get to the levers,also the pull is very hard almost harley like which seems wrong with a hydraulic clutch?. i was averaging 38mpg with the rig all of a sudden it dropped to 30 and the clutch slip seems to occur at high speed,could it be slipping even at lower speeds and not feel like it to cause a 25% drop in mpg? are there adjustable levers available for the vr? thanks

Unless they look and smell burnt or the facing is coming apart, the plates are probably ok. The steels should still be white. If you actually burned the plates, the steels will probably be discolored. If so they need replaced also. Get the spring kit with the extra full plate and cover gasket from skydoc17. Since you have a first gen consider pulling the clutch basket and replacing the shifter wheel with a one piece unit for a second gen. If a pin works loose in the existing unit you can't shift past that gear. I got mine from skydoc. The only hard part is getting the clutch basket bolt loose. Search the tech forum for more info.