IGNORED

Lets talk lights?

I bought a set of Bead Rider seats beads, and they threw in a Iron But Assoc. Magazine with the package. After spending some time reading the magazine, it got me thinking about the lights on my RSMV. IBA members are always updating to better performing lights. I haven't been real impressed with my head light and the smaller fog lights don't do anything. I figure they are just on there for looks. I think I'm going to spend the money and upgrade my head light and try to find something that works better for the fog lights. I think I may spend the money and buy a PIAA H4 Extreme White head light bulb to replace the stock Bulb. What are most of you using on your RSV?

You can get a good improvement with the Sylvania UltraStar headlight. The other option is to go with an H4 HID conversion. Options available from about $60 to several hundred.

As for running lights, there are several LED lights available that will mount next to your front wheel at the end of the forks.

RR

I'm another Sylvania Ultrastar believer. Haven't done this to my "new to me" Yamaha, but my last bike I used the Ultrastars. And when I had to replace one and the store didn't have one, I went with a Silverstar. Not quite as good, but still much better than stock.

I haven't tried a PIAA but I hear they are good. I'll stick with the good Sylvanias, since I know they work. They put out a very "white" light, which I like.

For a "standard" type bulb I have used a sylvania bp 1210 I think is the number. From NAPA it was around $20-25. 80w low 100w high beam, nice crisp white light. I swapped to an HID a couple years ago and the light is very good. Also when I get on the computer instead of tablet I can link some "frog eye" style led aux lights. I have not got them mounted up yet but I am going to mount off the crash bars. Try a search on e-bay for 30w cree led lights. They look kind of like the ones the dual sport guys run (piaa)

I am running the PIAA H-4 Extreme White bulb and am very happy with the results..... much brighter and clearer than the OEM replacement bulb. PIAA also just raised the bar with the New Extreme White PLUS series..... highly recommended. If the price scares you..... the New Sylvania zXe Series is very good and supposed to be their version of a (PIAA Extreme White bulb)......and the ever popular and reliable Silverstar Ultra bulb is still a very good choice as an upgrade to the OEM bulb.

I bought a set of Bead Rider seats beads, and they threw in a Iron But Assoc. Magazine with the package. After spending some time reading the magazine, it got me thinking about the lights on my RSMV. IBA members are always updating to better performing lights. I haven't been real impressed with my head light and the smaller fog lights don't do anything. I figure they are just on there for looks. I think I'm going to spend the money and upgrade my head light and try to find something that works better for the fog lights. I think I may spend the money and buy a PIAA H4 Extreme White head light bulb to replace the stock Bulb. What are most of you using on your RSV?

I am running the PIAA H-4 Extreme White bulb and am very happy with the results..... much brighter and clearer than the OEM replacement bulb. PIAA also just raised the bar with the New Extreme White PLUS series..... highly recommended. If the price scares you..... the New Sylvania zXe Series is very good and supposed to be their version of a (PIAA Extreme White bulb)......and the ever popular and reliable Silverstar Ultra bulb is still a very good choice as an upgrade to the OEM bulb.

Yep. I've got the PIAA Extension white plus & the H3 version in the passing lamps. Replaced the originals as soon as I bought the bike. Going on 9 years now & never a problem.

djh3, those look like nice lights!! Let us know how well they work. I'm interested in them. I was looking at LED Rider | The Motorcycle LED Lighting Source at their Cyclops long range distance lights. But at almost $300 a pair they are real pricey! But, after riding on a rainy night through Western KY on my way to Branson last summer, I know I need a good set of lights.

Sam

Edited by samklr650

I have hooked them up off the battery charger for power in the garage with all the lights off. And they look pretty dang powerful. They have a low beam, a pulsating beam and a high beam. You have to cycle power to get from one step to the next. So what I did was got a small micro toggle switch from radio shack and wired in a momentary off push button. So that way I can just push the button to go up thru the settings. Of course your going to have to get both lights on the same beam at the same time and then connect power. But once you there it is all good. What are you running for passing lights if any?

I have hooked them up off the battery charger for power in the garage with all the lights off. And they look pretty dang powerful. They have a low beam, a pulsating beam and a high beam. You have to cycle power to get from one step to the next. So what I did was got a small micro toggle switch from radio shack and wired in a momentary off push button. So that way I can just push the button to go up thru the settings. Of course your going to have to get both lights on the same beam at the same time and then connect power. But once you there it is all good. What are you running for passing lights if any?

I was looking at them and really liked the looks and functions. One of my lower wind deflectors broke off last summer while riding, so I just removed the other one. I haven't notices much difference without them, so i'm thinking of using that mount location for accessory lights. I figure i can make a bracket to attach the lights to the light bar pretty easy.

Right now I only have the stock head light with the accessory light bar. They are not that great and that why I'm looking to upgrade.

I wanted mine low, kind of like the lights in the GW lower cowls. Well its pretty dang tight between my front crash bars and the cowls. So the type of clamp they use was going to hit and then it would just saw its way into the plastic. So I have ground the edge back and narrowed it so when mounted it now has clearence. I made a little alum bracket to mount up on the right side but brake reservoir to mount a toggle switch and a push button into.

The back of the light screws off. There is a set screw from the outside to position the light, and then one accessible from the inside that actually holds the clamp on to the light base. I really plan on doing some photos of the mod and posting.

Switch-web.jpgSwitch-Location-web.jpg

I wanted mine low, kind of like the lights in the GW lower cowls. Well its pretty dang tight between my front crash bars and the cowls. So the type of clamp they use was going to hit and then it would just saw its way into the plastic. So I have ground the edge back and narrowed it so when mounted it now has clearence. I made a little alum bracket to mount up on the right side but brake reservoir to mount a toggle switch and a push button into.

The back of the light screws off. There is a set screw from the outside to position the light, and then one accessible from the inside that actually holds the clamp on to the light base. I really plan on doing some photos of the mod and posting.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98032[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]98033[/ATTACH]

Im curious on how you are mounting them on the crash bars. Are you mounting them on the ends or are you cutting holes in the lower cowl for the to stick through?

Was busy today moving living room stuff around. We got a new piece of furnature to put th e tv, cable box and suround sound thing on. So I was pretty maxed out getting all that moved around and wired. Maybe I,will get a chance to sort of mock it up for a couple pics and post them.

Well I improver my passing lights to some decent LED bulbs and am happy with thier output for the price. So I think the aux lights I want are low now. So back to your idea. Do you have the 4.5" passing lights on the bar? I just went out with a quick idea. The clamps for the lights I have will fit arounf the stalk of,the turn signal. So you could munt the lights to the outside of the turn signal between the passing light and top ot the turn signal. Right now my passing lights are laying on top of the fender as I have the fairing apart, so dont know what all the clearences are. Tomorrow I should be able to put it back together as I have my power wires and stuff all run.I'll get a couple pics of what Im talking about so you can get an idea and visual.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on what you have. My lights have instead of a "bulb" its a housing that looks like the bulb, then in back you install the actual bulb. I dont know what they actually call them. Mine are made by adjure I think the company is.

• 4 months later...

I have had other vision X led "passing lamps " but just got the 4" vision x canons.

At 80mph dark night I can comfortably see to stop well within the range. I have them mounted using doubled up corner brackets mounted to the mirror stalks.

If you want more light than you thought possible buy visionX light canons.

I'll post a photo soon.

Venture Far...

You can get a good improvement with the Sylvania UltraStar headlight. The other option is to go with an H4 HID conversion. Options available from about $60 to several hundred.

As for running lights, there are several LED lights available that will mount next to your front wheel at the end of the forks.

RR

Are you talking about this lamp?....SYLVANIA 9003 (also fits H4) SilverStar Ultra High Performance Halogen

I searched for "Syvania UltraStar" and didn't find one. I've been thinking about upgrading the headlamp on my '06 RSV also.

Thanks!