IGNORED

Concealed weapon permits

Skid

Alabama has open carry with a permit, you may take anywhere but schools, courthouse and other government buildings. Permit fee is just another form of taxation, because I asked when picking mine up what the money was used for and the lady couldn't tell me?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I was working in FL temporarily (for 3 yrs, 7 months, and 18 days) I obtained a FL CC permit. It is valid in my home state and about 34 total. But a few such as SC don't honor it because I'm not a resident of FL. Some FFL shops would allow me to buy handguns with the FL cc permit and copies of my apt utility bills for 3 months. That satisfied the residency status in their opinion to buy a handgun. Not all would though.

So West Virginia legislature is debating on discontinuing concealed weapon permits. I know that Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Vermont, & Wyoming has already done away with theirs. My question is has crime increased or decreased. Also since a permit is required in other states, does most people still obtain a concealed permit? Just wondering.

I did a quick search to try to find an answer to your first question and this was the first thing that came up

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20130215/more-guns-less-crime-2013

I'm sure there are plenty more, but that article seems to match others I've read similar to your question. As far as your second question, in all of the states that have gone constitutional carry (my state included) there is still several places that you can't go unless you have a CCW. Also, most of the gun shops here will let you purchase and take a gun without having to wait for the background check if you have a current CCW, nice if you get a sudden itch for a new one.

I don't leave home without my protection, never really cared what the government thought about it. I figured I was going to protect my family and they didn't have the right to tell me I couldn't.

In Ohio, you can do all the protecting you want as long as it's in your home and you are in fear of your life. On the street, if you don't have a ccw and start protecting, you will most likely go to jail as quickly as any other felon.

Just to clarify Arizona's CCW Permit. They did change the law to not having to need a permit to carry Concealed. You can still obtain a state CCW permit which allows you a few additional benifits especially the reciprocality of being able to carry concealed in other states that recognize Arizona's CCW permit. If the Govt is successful in making CCW permits a national CCW permit, you would be able to carry in any state with a CCW permit.

I travel a lot and purchased this guide. Mine is a couple of years old but still gives me a good idea of which states are CCW friendly: 2015 Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States

I just drove across country to work in DC for 2 months. I just figured out which states I was good to go in, and which ones needed a little covert actions.

P.S. Why do you guys keep it so freakin cold up here ??:yikes:

In Ohio, you can do all the protecting you want as long as it's in your home and you are in fear of your life. On the street, if you don't have a ccw and start protecting, you will most likely go to jail as quickly as any other felon.

Gary, That was/is true with most states. I have my CC permit now but before it became popular to allow people to get them by most states I still carried. As for going to jail I figured protecting my wife and daughter was worth the risk and still do. I am not a believer in the propaganda that my government knows what is best for me.

I have to qualify twice a year to maintain my permit which is a LEOSA permit good in all 50 states. I just expect everyone is carrying and act accordingly. Even law enforcement doesn't have the knowledge of who has a CCW until they check your driver's license so its a matter of being aware of your surroundings.

The bottom line is that all of the states now have some form of legal CC. BUT every state has different rules attached. I'm sure you all have heard many times that ignorance to the law is no excuse. It is up to each person to do their own research into the laws of any state they intend to travel through with a firearm. Many people may have a basic understanding of their gun laws as those laws pertain to their home state. Some states have different requirements for resident vs nonresident. Do your homework so you do not accidentally spend your vacation in jail, or worse yet become a felon, do time in prison, and be unable to poses a firearm for the rest of your life.

Gary, That was/is true with most states. I have my CC permit now but before it became popular to allow people to get them by most states I still carried. As for going to jail I figured protecting my wife and daughter was worth the risk and still do. I am not a believer in the propaganda that my government knows what is best for me.

Rick, I don't have a problem with your way of thinking, I was merely pointing out that w/o a ccw and you shoot someone that is not in your HOME, you are just as liable as any bad guy with a gun and will be treated as such. Without a ccw you are better off grabbing a 2x4 and clubbing someone that attacks you than pulling a gun.

Your call, it doesn't effect me at all.

Speaking of liability. Don't forget to consider CCW insurance. George Zimmermen is a good example of why. Although he beat all the cries for criminal charges and also won the civil suit against him... as I understand, he had to spend over $60k to defend his right to protect himself. And most CCW classes I think make this clear as being the norm. There are many companies offering this, but for around 100 bucks/year, most work the same and will provide you free legal council to defend any criminal or civil charges as a result of using your CCW weapon in self defense. Of course they will all throw you under the bus if you were not in compliance with that states CCW law.

Michigan is an open carry state, by state constitution, no permit required for open carry.

So far the Bill has passed through the Senate and is now in the House side. It was quickly voted and moved through with very little opposition. It will be interesting this week to see how it moves. So far I've heard the age is 18 and up, where before the age for a CCW was 21 and up. And not sure how it affects out of state residents that are in the state. The only argument for this Bill is the Second Amendment.

Also in West Virginia you can openly carry a pistol on your side legally. If everyone would answer this question for me, does your state have the right to carry openly?

I did all the steps to get my CC in Fl back in 1989 after some clown emptied a 357 in me when I opened my door, but I never sent it in. I just don't like the idea of The Government haveing a list of law-abiding citizens who own guns, but every crook, murderer, nut or whatever they have no idea about. It might seem paranoid, but I don't have a great deal of trust in the Government

Texas has the castle doctrine, this allows firearms on person for home work and to and from. I took concealed carry course and I never filed or it. The instructor make it known that if I ever drew the weapon that I had better prep for a law suit. With CCL you are held to a higher standard because of training. With the castle doctrine you need to show that you FELT that your life was in threat of injury or death, Im just sayen.

Bill

Now in NC, you no longer have to feel like your life may be in danger to shoot someone in your home. If you come home and a stranger is sitting in your recliner watching tv, you can fill him full of holes legally. Not so in the garage or yard. If you are outside anywhere and there is a threatening situation, you can draw your weapon to deescalate the situation. You can also carry in businesses that serve alcohol if you do not drink yourself. The way NC is there are no public bars like we think of them. A business that makes its money selling drinks has to be a private club. Something like a restaurant that serves drinks does not and that is why they made the change. Carrying is definitely a huge responsibility and liability. So we need to manage it well.

The theory on Concealed Carry is that a criminal has no idea whether anyone is packing or not and so it discourages crime (since everyone might be packing).

Open carry shows criminals who has a piece for certain, and where they might be able to get a gun if they need one.

For everyone's safety it's better to let thugs try to guess who has the gun.

If your state requires a permit to carry or to carry concealed then it may be a felony to carry or carry concealed without a permit.

Or it may be a felony in the state you're traveling through.

In my state if you get yourself convicted of a gun-related crime which includes carrying concealed without a permit or carrying concealed somewhere that you're not allowed to then you can be banned from ever receiving a permit. It's in the list of disqualifying factors. Don't jeopardize your ability to legally carry.

Not trusting the government will not be an effective defense against criminal proceedings for disregarding firearms laws even if you're protecting someone.

In Georgia with your permit you are allowed to carry concealed or open if you have the permit. Open carry not allowed without. I have had mine now for almost 2 years and have yet to carry open, dont want to draw attention to myself, I have seen a few carry open, and everyone was watching them, dont wont or need that.

I have the insurance through U S Concealed Carry, and their magazine is excellent in giving tips about different situations. Check it out if you dont have insurance. Its not that expensive and could save you mega bucks in the end if you have to defend yourself or your family.

One thing I did not like when they opened up the gates here in Iowa for people to carry guns is they took the shooting test to qualify out of the mix. You get on the internet take a test or get anyone you want to take it for you, pay the fee and there you go. Print your papers and take them to your sheriffs office and now your carrying. So now we have a bunch of people carrying guns that can't hit the side of a barn while standing in it. In Iowa you can carry openly with a gun permit. They have taken the concealed off the new permits and it just says permit to carry, so you can carry either way though our class instructor(back when they were doing it right) told us don't carry openly that there would be more chance the law will stay in place. One good thing I did like is they went from a 1 year permit to a 5 year.