IGNORED

My first IRON BUTT attempt next week

Barrycuda

Hello again everyone!. I have been crazy with jobs, college classes, tests etc. I haven't been on here much. In any event, weather permitting ( and health as my wife and kids are sick) I am going to attempt my first iron butt run. My plan is to leave March 7 and head to Scott, Louisiana, then return home. My plan A is to get the bun burner 1500 in 36 hours. Plan B if that falls through is to get my saddle sore 1000 in 24hrs. plan C is to abort and make it home in one piece. I believe mentally I am able and boy am I ready. That starts the week of spring break for my college and I can use the relaxing ride. As with all posts, I will try to be as descriptive as I can when I return. As of now, I think I have accumulated a fair portion of long distance rider tips, as well as some pointers from the IBA website. For those who wish to add your tips, tricks and experiences please feel free to share. From no caffeine, to 10 min stops, to lemon-heads to packing water, camelbaks, food, route fuel stations close to super-slab to clothing nice and loose but compact to ear plugs. I am more than happy to hear from you. I will have my zip lock bags for paperwork, receipts etc. The super-slab is simply because I do not have the luxury of time off. I would like to tackle this on my birthday weekend. my present to me. The wife is supportive as always but is a bit sad that I'll be away for my birthday. So.... please chime in! I am always willing to learn what to bring/ not bring. do/ do not do...

Good luck. Be careful though, LD riding can be addicting.

There are a lot of pointers, but for a SS1k or BB1.5k, the key is to sit there and twist that. No screwing around at stops. Get in, get gas, hit the can if needed, and get moving. NASCAR pit stop style.

Check each receipt before leaving the station. Make sure it has a relatively accurate time, correct date, and location.

Your Plan C is important. If you are finding it difficult to stay awake, stop and sleep. You will find a SS1k can be done in about 16 hours by someone experienced in LD riding. Therefore, there is a lot of sleep time available. Also, speed doesn't really help. Keep at your normal travel speeds (assuming you aren't a demon). It helps with gas mileage and reduces stress providing less fatigue.

Once you complete this entry level IB ride, I will attempt to entice you into the LD rallying world. Loads of fun with lots of miles.

Again, good luck.

RR

IBA 33089

Good luck. Be careful though, LD riding can be addicting.

Once you complete this entry level IB ride, I will attempt to entice you into the LD rallying world. Loads of fun with lots of miles.

Again, good luck.

RR

IBA 33089

thanks RR! As tempting as it may sound. My life currently does not afford me some extra time to tackle LD runs. My time is spent in college, wife and kids, guns, martial arts, riding, motorcycles, cartoon. Not in that order :) Thanks for the advice too. perhaps when the dust settles, I can participate in LD events more frequently. Somehow I am half expecting that crazy, lovable Cowpuc to dig his way out and meet me at some gas stop... what a fun loving nutty guy

Edited by Barrycuda

Barry more advance notice I might have been able to shadow with you. 2 years back I made it from Bluefield WV to home in 12.5 hours something like 752 miles. Not any speed record I'm sure. but I had to ride thru charlotte at like 9am, Jacksonville around 3pm heavy construction and Orlando at 6 pm. So efficient traffic flow was not rolling well in some of those places. I can see where super slab routing and away from big cities is essential. Good luck and ride safe friend.

GO BARRY, GO BARRY,, GO BARRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fingers-crossed-emo:thumbsup::dancefool::dancefool::clap2:

attachment.php?attachmentid=97705&stc=1&d=1424931506

attachment.php?attachmentid=97701&stc=1&d=1424930836

Advice,, of course - go over bike with a fine tooth comb. What can I find in my bucket of advice,, lets see here,, if the trip is 100 percent about completing an Iron Butt and I were doing it for the badge.. I would empty Tweeks bags and remove her trunk. I would measure up the area I had internally inside the saddle storage area's - take the measurements and go down to Wally World and buy a gas container that would fit in a bag (even if it were just a 1/2 gallon of fuel - just in case). When I filled it I would make sure I ended up with an inch of empty space for slosh. I would also double check the can after I filled it, slosh it a little, and make sure it didnt leak. I would slip the container inside a garbage bag with a draw strap and tuck old sweat shirts or rags around it so it was fairly secure in the saddle bag on the open road. I would also get a pair of riding shorts (spand-X) with the shami bottom in them if I wasn't positive about my bikes seat not causing Monkey Butt. I used to wear them when I did 3 hour harescrambles - they work GREAT for wicking sweat off the bottom! They are also GREAT for fighting butt and leg cramps - carry em with you just in case. Planning 24 hours straight up, I would know I am gonna be riding a big part of the ride at night. I would plan my ride so I met the darkness at the start of the ride, say leave at 9 p.m. and ride all night in the freshes frame of mind I could have (probably hard to schedule a day of sleep if your used to sleeping at night - not worth messing up your sleep schedule). I would plan my ride so the rising sun in the morning was not in my face, for you that might mean heading north as far as possible and turn west as the sun was coming up, then in the afternoon head back south and then as the sun got lower in the day, head east. Key being, ride as much as possible with no sun on your face. If your rider pegs are adjustable, move them into a position where you can move your feet onto them making as many feet position changes as possible.

I would start out with a lemon inside of my styrofoam water cup. Slice it in half but dont squeeze it. Fill the cup with ice and the lemon on the bottom, then water. As the day goes on and you refill the water cup, you can reach in and give a half of lemon a squeeze to start fresh. Lemon is a good thirst quincher and also very good for you. Eat a decent meal before you head out and keep the on road stuff very light. Maybe a cooler with a couple top quality fresh sandwiches (loaf of bread with homemade sandwich spread in a dish stuffed into a small cooler) - and a couple banana's - GOOD ROAD GRUB:hurts: @Barrycuda, if I think of other stuff you KNOW I will be HAPPY to share it with you!! As far as meeting ol Puc down there,, Tweeks is in our basement right now with about 4 feet of snow blocking her in,, highly doubtful you will catch her out of storage before April.. I am hoping and praying it warms up here by the end of May so I can make it to Dons MD:Bunny:

You have a really really good ride out there Barry, Tip and I are rooting for you and KNOW you will make it - GO FOR IT CHAMP!! :thumbsup:

OH YEA, EARLY :Happy Birthday: :Crazy_139::group cheers::group cheers: since your gonna be on the road Barry!!!

DSCN0538.JPG

DSCN0530.JPG

DSCN0528.JPG

DSCN0526.JPG

DSCN0539.JPG

Edited by cowpuc

Dion: the decision was sort of last minute. Like you I only have X amount of time off divided by what the heck do I need to do/ want to do/ have to do...

Puc...always coming with the sage advice and behind the scenes tips of the day. Big hugs to the misses.

thanks to everyone who adds a bit of themselves to the thread..

Freebird and I did the 1500 in 36 hours 2 years ago. I had a great time, but it is not for the faint of heart. That is a lot of riding. I did 19 hours straight in the saddle (2 1/2 before picking up Don) before we got our 3 hours of sleep and back on the road. I left my house at 2:30 am on Saturday morning, made it to Freeebird's in Oberlin by 6am we were on the road by 6:30 am and did not stop for sleep until after 10pm that night after we went through Atlanta. Back up at 2:30am and back on the road. I was home at 2:45pm Sunday. Grand total for me was 1745 miles in 35 hours 45 minutes. Unfortunately I lost all my gas receipts so I cannot turn it in for my patch.

I still have the receipts but doubt I will turn them in. I turned them in for the 1,000 and got my certification, patch and etc. I think it was $40.00. It will cost another $30.00 I think to submit the 1500 mile ride. I just don't think I will. I do it for me and really don't need their recognition for that price.

You really shouldn't have to much trouble as long as your bike is ready. Have traveled to Bolixi MS 3 times from Albuquerque NM approx.1400 mi. in 30 hours

and never really pushed it. Stops were for gas and to streach. Road most of the time between 75 and 80 mph. probably averaged 50 to 60 mph. Also riden many times between Memphis Tn and Albuquerque NM in approx. 15 hrs. Never was trying to break a record or set any goals, just riding. So I sure if you and your bike are up to it as you appear ride safe and you'll

accomplish your goals. Have fun.

Edited by Shamue

Hey Barry! I did a SS1000 last November, 1060 miles in 19 hours. It wasn't the challenge I thought it would be. Ride safely, stay hydrated. You are in great physical and mental shape with a well maintained motorcycle made for such a journey, with favorable weather you'll handle this easily. Ride safe my friend. I look forward to tales of your adventure.

Dion: the decision was sort of last minute. Like you I only have X amount of time off divided by what the heck do I need to do/ want to do/ have to do...

Puc...always coming with the sage advice and behind the scenes tips of the day. Big hugs to the misses.

thanks to everyone who adds a bit of themselves to the thread..

*****since you don't have to turn in originals, immediately take a smart phone photo of your receipts as you get them. Every time.

That way if you lose the zip lock bag you still have all your documentation.

VentureFar...

I left Sturgis last year and headed home, no plans I just rode. I got home 17.5 hours later at 965 miles. I was not worth shooting the next day. I carried my cooler rack off my trailer slid in my receiver hitch with fuel and a cooler of water. I had snack bars and 5 hour energy with me. About every 130 to 150 miles I stopped for fuel and a streach, got a fresh bottle of water every stop, kept within 5 mph of the speed limit. No receipts or plan but a great experience. Have fun, be safe.

Bill

Just before I bought my first bike, the CB350, I bought a couple of used helmets from a classified ad. The large one that fit me was a Captain America helmet! The other one was a gold metalflake helmet that was a little too large for my wife and the Honda dealer offered to take it in trade even up for a generic Dot helmet that fit my wife. He said it matched the bikes he had and someone would jump on it.

*****since you don't have to turn in originals, immediately take a smart phone photo of your receipts as you get them. Every time.

That way if you lose the zip lock bag you still have all your documentation.

VentureFar...

sweet idea !!

Thanks to all the posts and nice comments. now it's shut up (me) and do it !!!

sweet idea !!

Thanks to all the posts and nice comments. now it's shut up (me) and do it !!!

Nooo,, dont shut up Barry,, its always great to hear about this stuff!! :happy65:

Hey bro, had an idea,, wire up a go pro with a mic in your helmet, narrate your ride while you video it!! Tell what your feeling and thinking about - especially during the last couple hours of saddle time,, may even help keep you alert during the hard part.. It would make a GREAT Birthday Memory tape! Plus, :witch_brew: you could put it on You Tube and post it here - probably be a best seller!! Jusy dont be editing out any parts of a tired singing Barrycuda if you do though!! :no-no-no:

Oh come on,, dont be a sissy:hihi:,, just do it!! Me and Sunn,, we would do it cause we aint skeerd!!

Nooo,, dont shut up Barry,, its always great to hear about this stuff!! :happy65:

Hey bro, had an idea,, wire up a go pro with a mic in your helmet, narrate your ride while you video it!! Tell what your feeling and thinking about - especially during the last couple hours of saddle time,, may even help keep you alert during the hard part.. It would make a GREAT Birthday Memory tape! Plus, :witch_brew: you could put it on You Tube and post it here - probably be a best seller!! Jusy dont be editing out any parts of a tired singing Barrycuda if you do though!! :no-no-no:

Oh come on,, dont be a sissy:hihi:,, just do it!! Me and Sunn,, we would do it cause we aint skeerd!!

I listen to all types of music. Last thing anyone will catch me on video doing is singing to either Michael Jackson, Teddy Pendergrass, Tupac, ABBA, Judas Priest or Iron Maiden. I have to re acquaint myself with the Go Pro, it's been that long. i'll see what I can do Puc