IGNORED

Poll time: Do you like or dislike loud pipes? COME ONE - COME ALL!!

cowpuc

I am bored too and may as well take this poll and tell the world that I  

295 members have voted

1. 1. I am bored too and may as well take this poll and tell the world that I

• Like my bike so quiet I can hear the oil moving thru its engine.
    • Like to be able to hear my exhaust while at highway speeds.
    • Like my bikes exhaust to be heard from 1 mile away.
    • Like all bikes to be so quiet I can hear the oil moving thru their engines.
    • Like others bikes to be loud enough I can keep track of them when riding together.
    • Avoid riding behind others who have loud bikes.
    • Get my ear as close to others open headers as possible when riding with them.
    • Believe that loud pipes save lives.
    • Believe that only V-Twin motorcycles should have loud pipes.
    • Miss the sounds of 2 stroke triple cylinder Kawasaki 500 and 750's roaming the streets.

It has been invented already. I can't remember the brand right off hand but somebody here will probably remember. I know a couple of people have them already. I think @Motiv has a set.

http://www.peacemakersexhausts.com/

Rumble When You Want It, Quiet When You Need It! Peacemakers Exhausts from ... to tone it down when riding through areas where loud pipes are unwelcome.

image.jpg

Edited by The Tooch
Add photo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish I would of never sold my 74 four.

I bought a new CB750 in 1974. I put a Kerker 4 into 1 header on it after a year. Rode the heck out of it for four years, then I bought a new 1978 Kawasaki Z1R and promptly installed a Kerker on it and rode the heck out of it for several years until I bought a 1983 Venture Royale. I GAVE the CB750 to my brother and he rode it for several years, even taking it to Washington state for four years. He sold/gave it to a friend of his, who had it for several years. Finally, he tired of it and my brother asked if I wanted my old Honda. Shoot YEAH!

Bottom line: I have my old CB750, my first bike, still with the Kerker.

Now, I wish I had my Z1R, again. And I wish I had my first Venture Royale, again. And I wish I had my first car (1966 Fairlane 500 with a hotted up 390, with Hooker header and glasspacks).

Edited by Prairiehammer

Marcarl brings up a good point. The opinion on loud pipes will change with the riding habits of the riders. I have been offered to ride with a few people that I know of but I really don't care to get involved with them. Nothing wrong with the people themselves but they have the habit of going to a coffee shop for an hour or two then to ride half hour or so to another coffee shop for another hour or so. I prefer the riding but could care less about the coffee shop especially when they spend the majority of time drinking coffee and talking about their rides they have took but when you see the mileage on their bikes the stories and odometer don't match up. Getting back to my point and not side tracked, most who make these short rides have their bikes mostly for show and want to be heard. Possibly their reason is image, unlike those who actually put mileage on their bikes which more often than not have quieter exhausts. My short run bike is loud and my venture is quiet in comparison so this theory is supported even though I usually ride alone. Lastly the comment mentioned earlier about those who wear ear plugs with loud pipes, well IMHO that just shows the noise is an image they are trying to portray.

It has been invented already. I can't remember the brand right off hand but somebody here will probably remember. I know a couple of people have them already. I think @Motiv has a set.

I helped a good friend build up Sporty not to long ago. He picked up a brushed stainless Patriot Defender (I think it was called) pipe for it. It was a pretty pricey pipe but it did tune up very nicely and, it came with the tuning plate (like a throttle plate in a carb) that was cable controlled. You could go from open exhaust to quite at the tug on a cable.. Actually not that new of an idea, seems like Honda had tuning plates in their early 305 Scramblers...

I helped a good friend build up Sporty not to long ago. He picked up a brushed stainless Patriot Defender (I think it was called) pipe for it. It was a pretty pricey pipe but it did tune up very nicely and, it came with the tuning plate (like a throttle plate in a carb) that was cable controlled. You could go from open exhaust to quite at the tug on a cable.. Actually not that new of an idea, seems like Honda had tuning plates in their early 305 Scramblers...

Back in my hot-rodding days, I had "cut-outs" on my Fairlane. Pull the cable knob and I had open headers. Push the cable knob, closing the exhaust cut-out, and I had a streetable and almost legal exhaust system.

Back in my hot-rodding days, I had "cut-outs" on my Fairlane. Pull the cable knob and I had open headers. Push the cable knob, closing the exhaust cut-out, and I had a streetable and almost legal exhaust system.

Now you are showing your age my friend.....

" Loud pipes save lives. Pleeeeze! "........

OK... done... :soapbox: :biker:

Perhaps they never saved your life.....but I can honestly say loud pipes have saved me from more than one incident. Like you, there are many laws I wish Leo's would enforce, many more important than loud pipes. It's bad enough when a cage cuts you off or practically runs you over and says "gosh I didn't see you"... IMO at least when you have loud(er) pipes, a quick rap on the throttle at least affords you the chance that their attention may be diverted in your direction. The other side of that coin is the possibility that your loud pipes may save the party at fault from having to live with the possibility that they maimed or killed a biker because they never heard or saw them. I'm done.

I always get a kick out the riders who have obnoxiously loud pipes and the first thing they do when they stop is pull ear plugs out of their ears. :confused07: I guess it is OK for everyone else to listen to that crap as long as they don't have to. :confused24:

That "crap" you are referring to is something that you previously admitted you were quilty of....."There was a time that I liked loud pipes a lot. Most of my previous bikes had loud pipes. I had a set of Screamin Eagles on my Venture and it had a really nice growl". You seem to come off as a 'holier than thou' guy now that your choice of pipes has changed. You should not assume that when someone uses ear plugs it is because their pipes are loud. I would ocassionally wear them because my tinnitus was being affected. Don't be so quick to judge and heap everyone into the same pile. Things aren't always as they appear. What a boring world if everyone felt and acted the same, eh?

Nope. Just stating my opinion on the question posed just like everyone else. Sorry my opinion is totally different than yours. Peace.
This is one of the things that makes America great.... The right (and place) to express our opinions.....peace accepted and certainly no need to be sorry for speaking out. Hope your Sunday is awesome !

I don't mind if there's a one or two bikes in a group especially when we're passing car, but for my own bike I prefer to have a quiet engine so I can listen to my music. Don't have to played extremely loud to get over the sound of the pipes.

I have Samson mufflers on my 96 RSTC. They have a nice rumble at cruising speeds and talk quite loudly under hard throttle. I can hear my radio fine over them while cruising. I have more problems hearing the radio over the wind noise at 70+ mph then I do the exhaust.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/pofarm/Royal/72f427e4-7f6c-4218-8d60-cff25342a61b.jpg