IGNORED

Poll time: Do you like or dislike loud pipes? COME ONE - COME ALL!!

cowpuc

I am bored too and may as well take this poll and tell the world that I  

295 members have voted

1. 1. I am bored too and may as well take this poll and tell the world that I

• Like my bike so quiet I can hear the oil moving thru its engine.
    • Like to be able to hear my exhaust while at highway speeds.
    • Like my bikes exhaust to be heard from 1 mile away.
    • Like all bikes to be so quiet I can hear the oil moving thru their engines.
    • Like others bikes to be loud enough I can keep track of them when riding together.
    • Avoid riding behind others who have loud bikes.
    • Get my ear as close to others open headers as possible when riding with them.
    • Believe that loud pipes save lives.
    • Believe that only V-Twin motorcycles should have loud pipes.
    • Miss the sounds of 2 stroke triple cylinder Kawasaki 500 and 750's roaming the streets.

I sat on one of those the other day. Its a throwback, but they definitely dont want you do any touring on it as it is NOT a comfy bike!

Neither was the original CB750. It was an amazing bike for its day but no comparison to todays bikes. They were the fastest bikes you could buy when they came out in 1969. A good friend of mine bought a used 78 and put 100k miles on it riding it all over.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither was the original CB750. It was an amazing bike for its day but no comparison to todays bikes. They were the fastest bikes you could buy when they came out in 1969. A good friend of mine bought a used 78 and put 100k miles on it riding it all over.

I've never had the pleasure of riding an actual CB anything. The closest thing I can compare it to was my 77 kz650 and I always thought that bike with its banana seat was a pretty cozy ride

I like a low smooth bass sound to my bike. I think the stock sound is pretty perfect. Also, my wife has made it perfectly clear that she would never ride with me if I had loud pipes on the bike. She once made the statement that guys who have loud pipes on their bikes are either A. Trying to compensate for other male shortcomings they have, or B. They have obnoxious, "look at me" personalities. Not sure how true either of those statements are. LOL.

Way back when I was 17 & 18 I had the 1978 Honda CB750Four and what a bike (140mph+). I'm still not sure how I survived them days. The bike was super fast and I was super crazy. After I sold that bike I purchased a 1981 Honda CB750 Custom and was not impressed with it. It was a pretty bike not not the fast one I was use to. Later on I moved on to a Yamaha 920 Virago with extra loud pipes. It was fun then but after a while it got on my nerves as well as everyone else around me. LOL

Honda750Four.jpg

HondaCB750.jpg

Yamaha920 .jpg

Edited by Skid

Other than a straight piped Honda I had about 45 years ago I've always ridden stock Hondas and Yamahas. Then I bought an RSV with Bub pipes on it. At times I think it sounds pretty cool but after a full day of riding it gets to be a it much. I also worry about it being too loud for those around me. I've got a pair of stock pipes and I think it's time I learn how to change them out.

I always get a kick out the riders who have obnoxiously loud pipes and the first thing they do when they stop is pull ear plugs out of their ears. :confused07: I guess it is OK for everyone else to listen to that crap as long as they don't have to. :confused24:

Never seen that in any of the groups I've ridden with, but dang that is a good idea... :) :whistling:

When I had long Cobra straights on my Vulcan 2000 I just felt sorry for the drivers of cars I passed around town. Later I got the Cobra HP two into one pipe instead. It's quiet until I really get on it and even then it's nowhere near as loud as the straights were. Typically balancing the exhaust pressure like that is good for a few horsepower too so I'm not missing the straights at all.

I remember seeing some Hardleys with slashdown short pipes in a dirt parking lot. The exhaust would blast the powdery dirt up and all over the rider. Good times. I wonder if that's where they got the nickname dirtbags? Not that there's anything wrong with that sort of thing. Don't flame me, I'm just the story teller.

So far this thread is surprising,,,, we are only stating our own opinion and haven't got on to anybody else for theirs,,,,,, NICE JOB!!! Keep it up.

IMHO, the only person that is happy with the sound,,, ok, loud sound,,, of their machines is the rider,,, and maybe sometimes a bi-stander. Mostly though it's only the owner of the machine. I have never noticed anybody going up to another and ask them to fire up their bike so that they could listen to the noise,,,, hear it maybe yes,,, but stand there to listen and drink it in.... not so much. On the same hand I find that if there is a bike with loud pipes they are mostly relegated to the back of the pack so everybody doesn't have to hear that the whole time.

On the other side,,, there was one set of pipes that I would ride with anytime,,,, and they were on the Road Star of Halrvs99 wife's Gail's bike,,,, they were sweet. No noise on the run really, but if she cranked it, it spoke a little. Wonder what they were??