IGNORED

4-2-4 Barons Nasty boys repacking

crazygaucho

just purchased a set of 4-2-4 nasty boys, after cleaning and polishing they came out pretty good

they have baffles and fiberglass packing and since they are out, they could use repacking.

anyone have experience with different packing material?

is synchronizing the carbs totally necessary (don't own a synchronizer) ?

do not want to spent a lot of money on packing material, and will probably install them as they are Monday and hear how they sound

will appreciated all the input good and bad you have about these

Hey Craze, when I was a young whipper out terrorizing the neighborhood on my 68 DT250 I had our really sweet little ol lady that lived kitty corner to us tell me that the Bazzani pipe I had on it was way to loud.. I liked her, she always gave me and my 6 siblings cookies and stuff so I went about quieting down the expansion chamber.. The gas station job I had at the time only paid 90 cents an hour so buying actual packing material was out of the question. Did a little testing of different materials with my zippo lighter and discovered that the fiberglass insulation in my dads garage was not flammable. Took a fairly good size chunk of glass, flattened and cut it into a rectangle. Wrapped it around the baffle and slid it in.. Worked great!!

I had lots of 2 stroke Motocross bikes after that thru the years and repacked many silencers and always kept a supply of the store bought tightly woven fiberglass sheets that they sell for packing but my original packing job has always been my favorite..

If I were you, I would pack those pipes with fiberglass, take the few bucks I saved on packing material and apply it toward a set of Vacuum Gauges so I could keep my carbs in sync cause keeping those carbs in sync is a must!!

Would love to see a pic and maybe even hear those pipes you just got on a video!!

Ride your ride!

Puc

just purchased a set of 4-2-4 nasty boys, after cleaning and polishing they came out pretty good

they have baffles and fiberglass packing and since they are out, they could use repacking.

anyone have experience with different packing material?

is synchronizing the carbs totally necessary (don't own a synchronizer) ?

do not want to spent a lot of money on packing material, and will probably install them as they are Monday and hear how they sound

will appreciated all the input good and bad you have about these

They will sound bad so you should just sell them to me.:rotf::rotf:

I have a freshly re packed set of those mufflers in my shop. Pretty simple to do. I bought my fiberglass at my local dealer for the same price I could buy it on line. It was pretty cheap and was the only type they had. Moose Racing I believe was the product name and I think it cost less than $10.00.

I am out of town so I can't go out to confirm this. You take off the chrome tips, remove a bolt holding the baffle, drive it out from the inlet end. I used a wooden dowel, maybe 1 or 1 1/4 inches in diameter of sufficient length. I tend to ignore all recommended safety precautions but I can assure you a dust mask, long sleeves, and gloves will save you a whole bunch of itching as I learned the hard way.

No need to mess with carbs. My bike ran fine with these pipes. I took them off my RSTD before I traded it on my new Venture last fall.

If anyone is interested in them let me know. I have decided to install some Harley take offs on the Venture.

They will sound bad so you should just sell them to me.:rotf::rotf:

I have a set you can buy, I repacked mine and added a baffle to them to try and calm them down . You can ask a few guys on here that didn't like riding behind them 4-2-4 s