IGNORED

exhaust collector options

Hi all,

The exhaust collector for my 86' is cashed. I opened it up in 2008 and yanked the baffles but now the actual pipes are rusted to hell. One was cracked and broke off completely. There's almost no steel left in the other tubes.

I was very excited to see a picture of Mark's pipe aftermarket collector but, sadly, when I wrote to him the other day he responded with:

"Hi John, Sorry but I haven't had an order for those in several years so I scrapped the fixtures. Mark"

So I'm curious about what others have done when the pipes are rotted away? Could I weld new (preferably stainless) pipes to the can? Is there any other bike out there that shares some sort of hook up so I could skip using this collector? Does the 2nd gen have anything I could use? Not sure I want to buy a used one since I'll have to yank the baffles all over and potentially be looking at the same problem in a few years. I like the stock exhaust except for the collector.

Thanks everyone!

"

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marks was the only one that I knew of for sure making one.

I thought I heard of someone else that either was, or was thinking about making one.

Hopefully Dingy will chime in here, he has done a lot of research on this and has knowledge and pics of everything.......

Since the V-max is also the same motor, I wonder if you could adapt its exhaust to a Venture?????:confused24:

There have been a few that have rebuilt their collector by welding in 6 new nipples. The can part is not usually what goes, it is the nipples that rust off.

to get everything lined up right you may have to install the can and pipes wit the new nipples in them to tack weld everything then remove, weld reinstall.

If you can not get 316 or better stainless for the nipples, then you may want to paint the whole collector with BBQ or stove paint to keep the rust down. Don't forget to use a stainless filler rod while welding. Don't laugh, I have seen it often where SS parts were welded and all the welds rusted.

There are some threads somewhere on here with pics.

V-Max exhaust system will not work on a Venture. Front head pipes are shorter. Rear head pipes will not clear mono shock as previously mentioned.

If one is considering a different collector, one thing to keep in mind is the motor develops more HP when the diagonal cylinder pairs are tied into one muffler each. Tying the right 2 into 1 muffler & the left 2 into 2nd muffler will reduce HP by about 10%. All 4 pipes into 4 mufflers is similar. This info is from V-Max bikes, will be very similar on a Venture.

I might have gotten one of the last headers Marks did for a Venture. The quality on the last one was not a near what the 1st one was that is on Tweety. Mark did make it right with me though. Issues might have been related to it being welded without a fixture.

Gary

IMG_1069.JPG

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1067.JPG

marks collector 1.jpg

I find the comment interesting as well. I can believe it...since the pipes are so small, you might want the firing order into each exhaust to give room for the next firing stroke. Maybe to much back pressure. Most engines require a specific back pressure to excavate the exhaust gases properly...giving more horsepower due to even breathing.

But...if this is the case...then putting two on same side into one pipe then opening the muffler for less restriction...should also give more horsepower...and requiring larger main jets as well...

Fun stuff..second guessing Mom Yamaha...:scratchchin:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi all,

The exhaust collector for my 86' is cashed. I opened it up in 2008 and yanked the baffles but now the actual pipes are rusted to hell. One was cracked and broke off completely. There's almost no steel left in the other tubes.

I was very excited to see a picture of Mark's pipe aftermarket collector but, sadly, when I wrote to him the other day he responded with:

"Hi John, Sorry but I haven't had an order for those in several years so I scrapped the fixtures. Mark"

So I'm curious about what others have done when the pipes are rotted away? Could I weld new (preferably stainless) pipes to the can? Is there any other bike out there that shares some sort of hook up so I could skip using this collector? Does the 2nd gen have anything I could use? Not sure I want to buy a used one since I'll have to yank the baffles all over and potentially be looking at the same problem in a few years. I like the stock exhaust except for the collector.

Thanks everyone!

"

I am confused. I ordered a Marks collector a few weeks ago and got it in about 2 weeks.

Could you please tell me the exact website and part number? Perhaps I spoke to the

Wrong Mark. I still need aa collector bad. Thanks!

Mark can be reached at this email address.

markmcpipe@gmail.com

I would be curious as to what problem Gary had with the second pipe he got from Mark. Did it fit OK? I notice on mine I have seen "prettier" welding on some of the joints, but it seems solid.

I find the comment interesting as well. I can believe it...since the pipes are so small, you might want the firing order into each exhaust to give room for the next firing stroke. Maybe to much back pressure. Most engines require a specific back pressure to excavate the exhaust gases properly...giving more horsepower due to even breathing.

But...if this is the case...then putting two on same side into one pipe then opening the muffler for less restriction...should also give more horsepower...and requiring larger main jets as well...

Fun stuff..second guessing Mom Yamaha...:scratchchin:

I understand what you are saying; but no, is the short answer. It's more about combustion heat, mixing- and the percussion of the exhaust valve,, slamming shut.

Patch

• 1 month later...

JohnT. Just trying to clarify something. I too got the response that Mark was not making collectors for the venture any longer. Can you tell me if you got one for a venture and not a vmax? Can you tell me how you ordered it because there is no option on his website http://marksperformance.com to order anything for a venture royale? And if it was for a venture how much did you pay for it? I have been looking for several years. Thank You

I have a 86 that I took down to redo and just about decided I don't have the time to finish it. was thinking about selling it all or part it out.most of the bike is in pretty good shape but the previous owner tried to repaint it with rattle cans. I also have and extra radio and tank cover too. I got new diaphrams for the carbs but never put them back together. the other guy used jbweld to patch the holes in the diaphrams and the bike was running real ruff. I can look at the collection box, but seems like it was in pretty good shape.

JohnT. Just trying to clarify something. I too got the response that Mark was not making collectors for the venture any longer. Can you tell me if you got one for a venture and not a vmax? Can you tell me how you ordered it because there is no option on his website http://marksperformance.com to order anything for a venture royale? And if it was for a venture how much did you pay for it? I have been looking for several years. Thank You

There is nothing on a VMax exhaust that will work on a Venture. Front header pipes are about 3" shorter on a VMax then have have a crossover tube between front headers prior to merge with rear pipes. Rear headers will not fit due to mono shock interferences. Picture attached showing a pair of rear VMax headers on motor that I built for RSV Hybrid setting on bench. The VMax stock configuration is 2 cylinders into 1 collector into one muffler on each side. Diagonal cylinders into each muffler. One of my failures at getting an exhaust on a 1st gen motor in a 2nd gen frame was to try VMax setup, I didn't get to point of buying collector/muffler components because I couldn't get stock rear headers to fit into modified 2nd gen frame. I ended up removing the frame cross brace tube in front of the shock dog bone cross tube and replaced that cross member with a 1/4" plate steel that was formed to allow enough clearance to get a set of very modified rear pipes to mate up with a somewhat modified Marks collector. It ain't pretty, but not visible.

And to be fair, this was with a 2nd gen frame, but I have a decent running 1st gen setting here that I am very familiar with, and its going to have similar issues with a VMax exhaust. Frame modification wouldn't need to be done, since a 1st gen uses inside the frame rails exhaust, similar to VMax. but its the rear header crossover that is main issue. Look at 2nd picture, stock VMax rear tubes. This plumbing is vastly different than a Venture, rear tubes for a Venture are shown in last picture.

Don't let my failure dampen your trying, many ways to skin a cat.

Gary

20140427_213713s.jpg

DSC01143.JPG

DSC00715.JPG

DSC00747.jpg

20140420_214816.jpg

20140420_214929.jpg

IMG_5893.jpg

dingy....Thank You for the information. I am aware that the vmax is very different. I was asking if Mark McDade was still making the collector setup for the venture royale. Someone in an earlier post said they purchased one recently. Hopefully that is true and we can save our ventures.