IGNORED

Took a little ride on Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday

Venturous Randy

Not on the bike, but in the little Miata we just got. It was absolutely beautiful with views of at least 50 miles it was so clear. I took a couple of pictures, but did not realize I had a big greasy spot on the lens that I did not notice until I put them on the laptop. This was around the Little Switzerland area. We got off at 80 and went toward Burnsville as the road toward Mt Mitchell was closed.

RandyA681.JPG682.JPG

:thumbsup::big-grin-emoticon:

OUTSTANDING!! Thanks for the :photographing:

As the balance gets iffy, Tip n I get closer to retirement,, I can see us parking the bike - tossing a tent roll on the back and cross country touring in a gorgeous little hot rod JUST LIKE THAT Randy!! BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

Thanks. The thing about older Miatas is it is hard to find one that is not rusted or has not been molested by being slammed to the ground. This one is amazingly free of rust and when I replaced the shocks, I had no problems with any rusted bolts. For a 25 year old vehicle, that is pretty good.

It is absolute amazing how it corners, but the problem is it is real low on power and being an automatic hurts even worse. I think with the auto that it is only rated at about 100 HP as they have slightly lower compression and less lift and duration on the cams. It only has a 1.6 liter engine. But, there are a lot of options on power plants and you can see some if you Google Monster Miata. Some over 600 HP.

Randy

I can tell you from experience, that Miatas are as near bulletproof as anything I have ever encountered. I bought a totaled '96 in 1997 with 13K on it, rebuilt it, flogged it, got hit head on in it in 2002, rebuilt it, and sold it in 2012 with 165K on it. It is still running today. Since it was a '96, it came with 14" wheels on it and I changed to 15" tires with a lower profile, which made it handle even better.

I have owned any number of sports cars over the years, and the comment that the Miata is the current day MGB is somewhat off base. The Miata is, in all respects better than the MGB. I have owned a '67, '71, '72, '72 GT, and '75 and none of the compare. Now, the Healey is a different story. One of these fall or spring weekends, I will drive the Healey over to the BRP and give it a go.

I appreciate cars that go and also turn. I have included photos of a couple of my other toys that I have built.IMG_0013.jpgIMG_0010.jpgIMG_0011.jpgIMG_0012.jpg

To me, the Miata has a lot of leg room, but you may have a problem getting in and out with the top up.

I have had several Datsun/Nissan Z-cars. I bought a 72 240Z in 77 and in 79 put a 350 Chevy engine in it with a 350 Turbo trans. after about 50,000 miles I put a built 327 in it and put a total of 166,000 miles with a SBC. I then had a 79 280ZX that was the most comfortable and a 300ZX Turbo that was the least comfortable.

I hooked the little Time out camper to it today and towed it a bit. It actually did pretty good.

Randy

690.JPG691.JPG692.JPG

Edited by Venturous Randy

To me, the Miata has a lot of leg room, but you may have a problem getting in and out with the top up.

I have had several Datsun/Nissan Z-cars. I bought a 72 240Z in 77 and in 79 put a 350 Chevy engine in it with a 350 Turbo trans. after about 50,000 miles I put a built 327 in it and put a total of 166,000 miles with a SBC. I then had a 79 280ZX that the most comfortable and a 300ZX Turbo that was the least comfortable.

I hooked the little Time out camper to it today and towed it a bit. It actually did pretty good.

Randy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96492[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]96493[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]96491[/ATTACH]

I had a 94 Mustang that i thought was comfortable enough. Obviously not quite in the category of the miata. My problem is with those low sitting cars is i slam down when I sit and it eventually damages the seat

Randy,

I have a '77MGB and getting in & out with the top down does restrict the manner in which you enter/exit. Personally I first duck my head in and rest my right hand on console, slide right leg in and sit down. Others I know just turn there back to the seat and sit down, then slide legs in. One thing (at least with MGB) I learned NOT to do, is to grab the windshield frame for support when entering or editing the car (can crack windshield).... This advice is most generally relevant with the top down. Don't know if this advice pertains to Miatas. Next to your scoot, your Miata will provide many miles of smiles.....enjoy and congrats.

Edited by naturbar

I'm jealous!

Was going to buy a new Miata back in 2000?

Went for a test drive and my head was literally pushing the convertible top up bout an inch.

Ask the salesman if there was an adjustment to compensate for this and he told me to scrunch down. To which I replied: For $27,000 I'm not gonna scrunch anywhere... I so wanted that car to...:Sad_0241:

Interesting comment on the windshield. It is my understanding that the windshield frame on the Miata was designed to support one and a half times the weight of the car and this is without a rollbar.

I find I do better to slide the seat back and when getting in I will sit down and then pull my feet in. That is easier than just sticking a leg in and then plopping down in the seat. I also find it better if I have one of those chair cushions that are sticky on one side and slick on the other to sit on. It is more comfortable and is easier to spin around getting in and out.

Randy

Gotta love a convertible.Bought my first one in 1967.It was a 53 chevy for $80.Kept it 2 years and bought a 58 Ford ragtop.1983 I bought a new Dodge 400 convertible and sold it in 2006 When I bought my Venture.2012 got the urge again and bought my Porsche convertible.It sits low to the ground but even with my bad back I can still get in and out with ease and it has plenty of leg room.We need to meet up and enjoy the BRP topless.Congrats on a good find.

001.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

2910969030037297848CfgNDX_th.jpg