IGNORED

being a dieabetic

oldgoat

well 3 months ago I got the bad news that I was a type 2 diabetic. and this is why my burn wound I had was not healing right.

I had lots of infection in that leg. been through lots of treatment as well.

been place on meds for the diabetic problems.

went from 280 pounds down to 260 to some times 264 it goes up like that after I eat my night time weight is more then what I weigh in the AM?

I am trying hard to lose more weight,

so I am asking for some info?

with MY orthopedic problems and my MS high blood pressure and all other health problems. I cant work out like I use too.

I eat healthy now gave up the pop and cut sugar out of my diet as much as possible. found out cold water is not so bad after all

I use that sweetner stuff in my 2 cups of tea I drink in the AM

and I have non sugar flavored water with my meals.

I am just trying to figure out what more can I do to lose the weight?

taking the weight off I did now I feel better.

the leg wound has lost all the infection and is down to a small size hard lump. doctors will work on taking that down some by removing skin layers little by little. I might always have a hard lump there but it is not painfull any more and I can live with that

but I have to watch my diet and get more weigh off

any ideas on what I could do to get more off of me?

thanks

oldgoat

35years riding,4yrs type two diabetic. Glyberide put 25lbs on me the last two years, but recent switch to invokanna has reduced me 12lbs and really helped lower blood sugar level. Down to 205lbs shooting for 10 more. Exercise is a must and if it don't hurt it don't work. Just don't over extend so as to loose interest. Also most important, intaking less calories than expending equals lost weight. Minimize the carbs at night, try limiting carb count to 60grams per meal and 20gram snack.The real ***** of it all is the nueropothy in my feet. Fear the day I can't feel the ground when I put my feet down and can't feel the ground. Will occasionally mishift due to numbness in toes. May have to convert to trike in the forthcoming years.

Good luck

This is probably gonna sound insane and I have NO idea how it fits in with Diabetic dietary needs but,, you asked, here is what worked for me..

Back in 03 I broke my back in a deer/car accident.. The facia extrusion things at the sacrium/L5/L4 fragmented and the L5 was resting on the sacrium by about 3/8 of an inch.. My spinal cord was "S" shaped in that location..

I ended up in the hands of a very talented Neuro Surgeon.. I was walker dependent and headed to full time wheelchair status.. The Surgeon told me that he believed he could ultimately fix me, I would be able to walk again and have a pretty normal life (minus the dirtbike/MXing/Harescrambling - those days were done) BUT,, he would only do the spinal rework on me if I lost 50 pounds (I was 255 at the time).. I knew what I had to do and told him I would be in touch.. Thru physical therapy (got to know our local Sports Medicine folks on a 1st name basis) for careful excersize to make sure I didnt cause more damage, and a very special diet I lost 50 pounds in less than 8 months.. Here's the diet I used,, a Wendies Chili for lunch - no crackers.. Ground chicken breast (no skin) mixed with mustard on a sandwich made with whole wheat bread (I liked it toasted) and fresh spinach for dinner (no dressing).. Some times I would put the spinach on the sandwich for fun.. Water to drink.. I also took one a day vitamins during that time.. Water to drink with an occasional V-8 juice (couple times a week)..

Sounds almost not doable when you are faced with it and I had LOTS of my close friends comment on how strong willed I must have been to do something like that.. My comment has always been, and always will be.. In the situation I was in, with the choice between walking again or not,, the feeling of starvation became a pretty small issue - I did it cause I had to!!

OldGoat, its also funny that you bring this up now.. I just went thru something similar again with this medical stuff I am going thru and my cigar smoking.. I really enjoyed a good cigar,, problem was - smoking of any kind mixed with medical problems of any kind just does not fly.. Knowing that, I quit back in October when all this stuff started.. As much as I enjoy a good cigar - I would enjoy feeling better more!!

I eat healthy now gave up the pop and cut sugar out of my diet as much as possible. found out cold water is not so bad after all

I use that sweetner stuff in my 2 cups of tea I drink in the AM and I have non sugar flavored water with my meals.

This is a big, big topic that can seem overwhelming. A little while ago I posted a lot of links to information on foods that are good for you and why they are good for you. Most of the links go to slide shows of various foods and spices that are full of fiber, protein, anti-oxidants and vitamins all of which will get your immune system working to the best of it's ability and allow you to reduce the number of calories it takes to keep you from feeling always hungry.

Simply put, you need to learn what foods are good for you and which ones aren't. Unfortunately there is no magic bullet.

Essentially, calories in versus calories out is the bottom line on how to lose weight but when on a significantly restricted diet it can be difficult to get the nutrients to stay healthy. Just eating less is not the best choice, you must eat nutritious foods and stop eating foods that are bad for you. Cooking your own food is by far the best way to take control of your diet. Most restaurant foods contain things like salt, sugar and fats that make the food taste better at the expense of calories. Not all fat is bad, in fact, some fats help to keep you feeling full longer, like those in olive oil, fish and nuts.

Cutting out sugar is a huge step forward and sadly, while artificial sweeteners do not have the calories associated with sugar your body reacts to them in the same way it does with sugar. It is like stepping sideways rather than stepping ahead.

Here's the diet I used,, a Wendies Chili for lunch - no crackers.. Ground chicken breast (no skin) mixed with mustard on a sandwich made with whole wheat bread (I liked it toasted) and fresh spinach for dinner (no dressing).. Some times I would put the spinach on the sandwich for fun.. Water to drink.. I also took one a day vitamins during that time.. Water to drink with an occasional V-8 juice (couple times a week)..

Analyze cowpuc's meals. Chili is made up mostly of beans (fiber and protein) and tomatoes (anti-oxidants and vitamins) which are both very good for you and of course "some" meat (protein). Capsacin which is the hot ingredient of chili peppers is also high in anti-oxidants. Whole wheat bread contains whole grains, not too surprising but several servings of whole grains per day is very heart healthy and the fiber helps to keep you satiated longer. Spinach is a super food that contains vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, magnesium, manganese, folate and iron and is equally as good for you either fresh or frozen. V-8 juice is unfortunately mostly a hoax that can easily be beaten by two servings of real vegetables. Chicken is high in protein and low in fat, if the skin is discarded. Vitamin supplements for the most part are ambivalent, not bad for you but not a particularly healthy choice. Vitamins from real food are a far better choice but for those who will not eat vegetables they are a choice of last resort and better than nothing at all.

Spend some time learning about what foods are good for you then work on portion size and exercise. Remember, Rome was not built in a day so don't push yourself to the point that you give up. It is not necessary to go to bed hungry if you eat properly.

This is probably gonna sound insane and I have NO idea how it fits in with Diabetic dietary needs but,, you asked, here is what worked for me..

Back in 03 I broke my back in a deer/car accident.. The facia extrusion things at the sacrium/L5/L4 fragmented and the L5 was resting on the sacrium by about 3/8 of an inch.. My spinal cord was "S" shaped in that location..

I ended up in the hands of a very talented Neuro Surgeon.. I was walker dependent and headed to full time wheelchair status.. The Surgeon told me that he believed he could ultimately fix me, I would be able to walk again and have a pretty normal life (minus the dirtbike/MXing/Harescrambling - those days were done) BUT,, he would only do the spinal rework on me if I lost 50 pounds (I was 255 at the time).. I knew what I had to do and told him I would be in touch.. Thru physical therapy (got to know our local Sports Medicine folks on a 1st name basis) for careful excersize to make sure I didnt cause more damage, and a very special diet I lost 50 pounds in less than 8 months.. Here's the diet I used,, a Wendies Chili for lunch - no crackers.. Ground chicken breast (no skin) mixed with mustard on a sandwich made with whole wheat bread (I liked it toasted) and fresh spinach for dinner (no dressing).. Some times I would put the spinach on the sandwich for fun.. Water to drink.. I also took one a day vitamins during that time.. Water to drink with an occasional V-8 juice (couple times a week)..

Sounds almost not doable when you are faced with it and I had LOTS of my close friends comment on how strong willed I must have been to do something like that.. My comment has always been, and always will be.. In the situation I was in, with the choice between walking again or not,, the feeling of starvation became a pretty small issue - I did it cause I had to!!

OldGoat, its also funny that you bring this up now.. I just went thru something similar again with this medical stuff I am going thru and my cigar smoking.. I really enjoyed a good cigar,, problem was - smoking of any kind mixed with medical problems of any kind just does not fly.. Knowing that, I quit back in October when all this stuff started.. As much as I enjoy a good cigar - I would enjoy feeling better more!!

Wow Dad, you were 255 once! That's an amazing transformation. Congrats on beating the odds. Doug

I'll chime in as well since I'm prepping for gastric bypass on Feb 2nd :yikes:. What the nutritionist and my RN have told me, keep the portions small, 1-3 oz of protein, for you, closer to 3oz, and about 3oz of steamed, roasted, or baked veggies, nothing fried! watch the fat grams, you shouldn't have more than 16 grams of a healthy fat a day, that's about a tablespoon of olive oil a day, watch the salt intake. Get a cheap digital scale and weigh everything. Portion Control was my issue. Watch the rice, pasta, bread, etc, it's mostly empty calories, especially storebought stuffs. Eat 3 regular meals a day, even breakfast, limit the caffeine, the reason that was explained to me, is many of us who drink coffee, black tea, etc tend to get stimulated by the caffeine and overeat. Eat 2-3 high protein, low fat/ snacks a day between meals, drink at least 64oz of water, flavored herbal teas, etc. a day Also, your goal is at least 80 grams of protein a day. Don't go over 120 grams of protein a day. Protein shakes are often the easiest way to go. Pure Protein is one of the better cheaper brands of protein shakes. The best sweetners imho are stevia and agave syrup, although be careful with agave, some people have their bloodsugars rise while using it. Losing weight is hard, going my route and doing gastric bypass, even harder, I will be on special supplements for life, I will be managing what I eat for life too. Exercise like walking is also key to burning fat. That's all I can think of now, hope it helps.

I am trying cowpucs meal plan... except I bought wolf brand chili no crackers I had that for lunch today.... breakfast was 2 slices of whole wheat toast. an apple one cup of tea. supper was baked cod fish. on whole wheat bun. snack time tonight will be a few almonds I love them. along with my night time tea. it makes me sleepy. sorry cowpuc but spinach is just is not my style. so maybe going with collar greens.

Oldgoat, while the meals that cowpuc shared with us and you have chosen to adopt are reasonably healthy, eating the same thing day after day, week after week has to be a totally boring experience and ultimately difficult to maintain over the long run. There are so many other food combinations that are as healthy, offering a variety of tasty flavours and more importantly a wider selection of essential nutrients. I found an article that might put this "eating conundrum" into perspective.

Every few years, another diet seems to be all the rage. Food fads come and go every day. Go ahead, try to follow all of the advice that has proliferated: eat low fat, cut out all sugar, eat like a caveman, become a vegan, cut out gluten, go dairy-free, measure glycemic index. You'd be left with nothing but water — and maybe spinach. (Most diets allow spinach.) As you push to make positive changes in 2015, the best advice is simply to ignore the cacophony of "expert" voices. The secret to healthy eating is painfully basic. Michael Pollan articulated it memorably several years ago: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Here is a link to that article. There are a few links in it that lead to an expanded discussion of the concept of eating real food versus hyper-processed food that you might find enlightening.