IGNORED

2015 road trip

Atoolnut

Thanks to those members who helped us plan last years trip to kentucky...This year plan to ride to williamsburg VA. via skyline dr..plan to spend 7 days in this area then home via coastal route...any ideas about roads to ride in this area or to avoid...williamsburg may not be final resting place.we book thru homeaway for 1 week..think will go to virginia beach ,civil war sites,..any suggestions would be much appreciated...thanks Les

Norfolk harbor tour And USS Wisconsin Battleship tour. When you head back north, you might want to cross over to the Eastern Shore via the Chesapeake bay bridge. 22 miles from one end to the other. Route 13 and 113 north to Phili. Have fun.

The Hampton Roads area has a lot to see and do...Bunch of little museums.... Check this out: Things To Do in Virginia - Tidewater & Hampton Roads Region Attractions

or this one......Things to do Tidewater, VA 22572

williamsburg is only 1 hr from Richmond and 45mins from VA Beach.... Lots of history and fun things to do. Make sure you do Jamestown

When are you planing to come?

Your trip sounds like a good one but why would you bypass Gettysburg to go to Washington then backtrack to Gettysburg? From Gettysburg to Williamsburg,va is 382 miles via the Skyline drive. If you plan on a day visit to Gettysburg, you could put the visit to Washington on the return home.

mistake..going down via skyline then backhome through up to washington then PA then gettysburg overnight..rochester overnight.then ontario on monday...BUT as things evolve so do changes..just thinking ahead..but not too many plans still want it to be free..would there be problems in DC with leaving bikes ?to see white house etc

I don't think you will have any problems. If you are anywhere around the Hagerstown MD or Martinsburg WV on your trip down to the Skyline Drive give me a heads up and I will take a day off work and ride the Skyline with you. The Skyline Drive is from Front Royal Va. to Waynesboro VA. It is 108 miles long with a speed limit of 35 MPH.

I don't think you will have any problems. If you are anywhere around the Hagerstown MD or Martinsburg WV on your trip down to the Skyline Drive give me a heads up and I will take a day off work and ride the Skyline with you. The Skyline Drive is from Front Royal Va. to Waynesboro VA. It is 108 miles long with a speed limit of 35 MPH.

will do ..is skyline dr under construction or is it like here..do all the work in busy summer travel time...bring on summer..its -25C here

Les, I live in Richmond VA and for a comfortable historic ride into Wmsbg I would suggest Rt. 5. It follows the north side of the James river and goes from Richmond to Wmsbg. For a comfortable ride from Wmsbg to Yorktown, take Colonial Pkwy.. Youll be glad you did.

Les, I live in Richmond VA and for a comfortable historic ride into Wmsbg I would suggest Rt. 5. It follows the north side of the James river and goes from Richmond to Wmsbg. For a comfortable ride from Wmsbg to Yorktown, take Colonial Pkwy.. Youll be glad you did.

thanks for info..have rearranged route to use rt 5 ..just planned short day trip from wmsbg to tappahanock to burgess to hartfield to gloucester to wmsbg...roads ok in that area?...i will be asking you for info on roads in this area if its ok..we are planning on a vrboww rental at wyndham patriot place..good area?..thanks ..les

Edited by Atoolnut

thanks for info..have rearranged route to use rt 5 ..just planned short day trip from wmsbg to tappahanock to burgess to hartfield to gloucester to wmsbg...roads ok in that area?...i will be asking you for info on roads in this area if its ok..we are planning on a vrbo rental at wyndham patriot place..good area?..thanks ..les

• 2 weeks later...
I'm here in Chesapeake, between Williamsburg and Virginia Beach, and if you let me know when you're here I'll take you on a ride through the back roads to some of the best food you've ever had. Ride safe.

thanks for the offer..plans are coming together..booked 1 week at wyndham kingsgate with home away ...planned rides...to appamattox.to virginia beach..kitty hawk..nickle and dime run...wasington dc for a day or on way back...home by ocean city ...and others still working on..will be 2 couples GW and Venture..anyone has bad things re wyndham would be glad to hear about..thanks Les