I would like to inquire of those who have removed the front lower fairing leg on what they feel was the benefit and or what they regret or miss? I would also like to ask if anyone has blocked the front fairings air vent and again what they regret or miss? The purpose of these question is that I am still building my 85 project and am considering using the air intakes for the lower legs to mount a set of auxillary running lights in. In this forums opinion the pros and cons? I ask as I want to see if anyone else will come up with something I have not thought of or overlooked. I am considering installing a set of lamp in the least obtrusive location. Thanks in advance to all who reply and share their thoughts and opinions.

I would like to inquire of those who have removed the front lower fairing leg on what they feel was the benefit and or what they regret or miss? I would also like to ask if anyone has blocked the front fairings air vent and again what they regret or miss? The purpose of these question is that I am still building my 85 project and am considering using the air intakes for the lower legs to mount a set of auxillary running lights in. In this forums opinion the pros and cons? I ask as I want to see if anyone else will come up with something I have not thought of or overlooked. I am considering installing a set of lamp in the least obtrusive location. Thanks in advance to all who reply and share their thoughts and opinions.

On my 1983 XVZ 'Sport Tourer', I have removed the lowers. The pros: less weight (albeit only a couple pounds), more streamlined, sleeker look. Cons: less protection from the elements.

I too have contemplated installing lights within the air intakes on the XVZ12. Obviously, installing lights there would obstruct air flow to the 'shin vents' in the lowers, but with the lowers removed, that of course, is not an issue.

I put lights in my intake vents years ago and it has worked fine. I was afraid it would be too hot, but it hasn't been. I have bikini side panels and no lowers, so the vents do not matter. I used the $18 lights from Walmart and they do make a difference. I also like how much it adds light to where I put my feet down at night.

RandyA

RandyA639.JPG2123.JPG2112.JPG

Edited by Venturous Randy