IGNORED

Thinking about a Motorhome purchase, anyone with first hand Knowledge please speak up

ragtop69gs

We'd be looking at buying a USED Class A Diesel MH. I would like to be able to take the GS and both my 2 wheeler, Jeannie's trike when we head out for warmer climates in the winter. Possible full time RV living in the future.

I'm looking for firsthand experience's, feedback on the pros and cons of traveling with such a load. The following info would be helpful.

• Trailer type. Long enclosed or shorter stacker style. (Pros & Cons)
  • Horsepower needed to pull grades at a safe speed with a 15K pound trailer in tow.
  • Tag axles?
  • Slides or not ?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If there were a way,, if there were ONLY a way to KNOW that gas was gonna stay half the price of diesel, I would strongly suggest looking at gas powered.. I rented a V-10 Ford U Haul van - U Hauls biggest - one time, hooked a car hauler trailer on it, filled the rig with complete furnishings for a buddies house, tossed a 4x4 on the trailer, grabbed my son and we headed for Kent Washington.. That sucker pulled like a freight train, thru mountains, across some very hot desert region.. Did good on fuel too - like 5 mpg if I recall..

Raggy,, Tip and I have talked a lot about doing what your talking about.. I have a couple good friends that own and operate their own Semis that have been schooling me about things to watch out for in dealing with Diesel powered Motorhomes.. I know from yakking with them that certain tranny/engine combo's are the ticket.. I also know that maintenance on the diesel stuff seems to be more intense... Might wanna hang out in some Motorhome forums a little before ya bite into it..

Scott, I'd like to hear more about theses engine/trans combos. I have been lurking around some of the RV forums trying to glean as much info as I can. I am aware of the higher cost of operation/maintenance with a diesel rig, but to get the same Tq & Hp from a gas rig would cost as much, if not more than diesel over the course of time.

The idea of selling everything and hitting the road is an alluring thought.

I have had a class C and own a class A gas right now. We have been in a motorhome since 1992. My purpose in buyng the MH was as a tow vehicle to support my racing effort. I towed a 24 foot trailer with car, tools, and spares all over the eastern US without issue. That trailer, loaded weighed 7000 or so pounds.

We also tow a 6X12 enclosed trailer when we go to the keys. It has a washer/dryer stack, a freezer, 2 motorcycles, and whatever other things will fit. My guess it that it weighs 3000 and the motorhome doesn't seem to notice it.

The 460 V8 in the 28 foot Class C got 12 towing and 14 running without the trailer. The V10 in the 34 foot Class A gets 7 towing the big trailer and 8 with the little trailer or without it.

Our Class A has a living room slide and none in the bedroom. I consider the slide a very important part in that it adds a tremendous amount of room, not only percieved, but also in reality.

We have been "toying" with thoughts of an rv. Looking in the direction of a toy hauler. Couple reasons, less maintenance, tags are cheaper an insurance for sure. Dont need to insure a vehicle I only need to drive 3 weeks a year. Have been looking at "outback" is the name of the trailers. Because they are not the standard rear cargo area. But you would still need a good tru k tp pull it with. We have been to an rv show or 2 and from what I have seen on the class a and c also even trailers. If a slide is available get it. It just makes such a difference in what it feels like inside. When its crappy outside and you got to be inside I think you'll appreaciate it.

This year we purchased a Newmar Kountry Star 38 ft diesel pusher. After years of a gas burner i can tell you the diesel pusher is the way to go. i have to 300 hp cummins 8.3 liter and allison tranny going to little sturgis last year we got 10.3 mpg with the onan 7500 diesel genset running. On the way home it cool at night and I shut the gen down because we did not need the ac unit. averaged 13.5 mpg running 70 mph pulling my bike trailer. The last V10 ford i drove got 5 to 7 miles to the gallon at 55 to 60 mph.

Most of the diesels have 22.5 tires(semi tires) on them which makes the much more stable driving. Also it has been my experience that diesel engines tolerate long periods of sitting than gas burners.

Oh by the way the coach is a 95 model and had 70,000 miles on it.

Just my opinion but I think you will be happy with the diesel.

Gregg

This year we purchased a Newmar Kountry Star 38 ft diesel pusher. After years of a gas burner i can tell you the diesel pusher is the way to go. i have to 300 hp cummins 8.3 liter and allison tranny going to little sturgis last year we got 10.3 mpg with the onan 7500 diesel genset running. On the way home it cool at night and I shut the gen down because we did not need the ac unit. averaged 13.5 mpg running 70 mph pulling my bike trailer. The last V10 ford i drove got 5 to 7 miles to the gallon at 55 to 60 mph.

Most of the diesels have 22.5 tires(semi tires) on them which makes the much more stable driving. Also it has been my experience that diesel engines tolerate long periods of sitting than gas burners.

Oh by the way the coach is a 95 model and had 70,000 miles on it.

Just my opinion but I think you will be happy with the diesel.

Gregg

Those mpg numbers are amazing ! Does your MH have anything done to the drivetrain to achieve those numbers? What size/weight trailer you pulling?

Pictures please!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

After I posted last night I thought about the tire thing also. Them bad boys are high dollar and you probably dont want to run recaps either. I dont know how they tolerate sitting for long periods of time, like months without rotating. I know down here with a lot of "part time" residents they always cover the tires up to keep the sun off them. The good thing is you probably will be able to buy your oil in bulk for the bike now. Rotella T6 LOL

Sick of the Snow and cold weather, bad roads, high taxes... ON THE ROAD AGAIN!--------WARMER weather has FINALLY WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!--------better Start the 'yard sale early'????????--------Contact BEER 30! on the motorhome=======call when ya'll get into Fla!---------we will have a few 'adult libations'----at the Tiki bar and watch the sunset--------

You will only be happy twice with a motorhome.. The day you buy it and the day you sell it.

I've heard this many times about a boat! Ha! I bought my first boat in 2007, still have it, still love it, a 1998 18' Boston Whaler split console with a 99 Yamaha OX66 2 stroke 150 on the back!

I too would love to have a motorhome but my wife is still working and probably will continue to do so, so I can't justify getting one now.

Sick of the Snow and cold weather, bad roads, high taxes... ON THE ROAD AGAIN!--------WARMER weather has FINALLY WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!--------better Start the 'yard sale early'????????--------Contact BEER 30! on the motorhome=======call when ya'll get into Fla!---------we will have a few 'adult libations'----at the Tiki bar and watch the sunset--------

Gene's rig is way out of my price range unfortunately. He does have a very nice setup.

After living full time in a motorhome for almost 20 years, i think i can give some advice. If you have never used a motorhome before, RENT one for a couple weeks.If it doesn't feel right for you, try a different style. Are you keeping your stick house? If not, where will you store what you are not taking with you? If you are keeping your house, who will watch it or live in it to keep it up? If you are a typical man you will miss one room the most. Your garage! I pull our jeep behind the power lift for the bike. That puts us about 62 feet long. Will you join a camping organization? Something like Thousand Trails, Naco, SKP's or any number of established groups. Some are better than others. Are you carrying your tools? I finally left the table saw, band saw, and miter saw at my wifes mothers. they can weigh quite a bit when you add all them up. Medical care? We have found some excellent emergency rooms, as well as some Doctors that need a different occupation. Jackson, Wy. has what has to be the best hospital we have found. Mail? You will need a good mail forwarder or a family member you can trust. When you call for your mail make sure the town your'e in only has 1 post office. Some post offices require you to file a form to collect your mail as general delivery even if you are only there a short time. I hope this helps you, if you have any questions feel free to call me.

djh3 mentioned tires and their cost, they can be quite spendy. Mine are 12.00 22.5 and there are 8 of them. The good part is they last much longer than motorcycle tires. How about oil changes? My engine is a Detroit 8v71. To change the oil it requires 7 gallons.

Nice rig! If anyone looks for a motorhome for its mileage, they are looking in the wrong direction. Mine is a bus comversion, a used Greyhound, converted to a 1 bedroom mobile house. Mileage? 9200 yards to the gallon. You have to be willing to spend a large amount of money to fill a large fuel tank. But its worth it. We love the life style.

There are many options to consider when wanting to "snowbird". We considered motorhomes and toy haulers and ended up with a 36' travel trailer with 3 slides. Our intent was to have a place to winter and not travel with the rig. We started with used 28' trailer as a test the first winter. We then bought a lot in a condo park in Florida and then upgraded last year to our current trailer. Lot and trailer combined I probably have less money invested than what most motorhomes would cost. Based on our friends comments and experiences here are a few options to consider.

In addition to the MH you could have a toy hauler. May not be finished as nice inside. One friend has a very nice 5th wheel that he leaves stored in Florida when he goes home. He tows his motorcycle and golf cart down with a van and has a service place his trailer on and off the lot. One friend had a really nice 40ft diesel pusher MH and moved from it to a really nice 5th wheel trailer and diesel truck to pull it. He said it was much cheaper and easier to maintain and he didn't have to tow a car along with him. The lot behind us has a really nice 38' diesel pusher which is a very nice coach. However, our 36' trailer is much more comfortable to live in for extended periods. If you're going to stay in one place once you arrive at your destination, do you really need all of the battery inverter and generator systems on the MH? Much more to maintain when you will likely always be plugged into a power pedestal. In our case we don't use the trailer to travel. It's just a winter home and we leave it in storage in Florida when we go home. The only downside to a travel trailer over the other options is outside storage. MH and 5th wheels both have much more storage in the basements. Here is a photo of our current setup. Good luck in your search.

laredo.jpg

All depends on what you want to do. If you want to spend weeks or months touring, a motorhome just might be the ticket. I would like to have a small motorhome so I can get into and camp in the national parks. Maybe even a camper for my F150Scab 4x4 would work for me. With a big motorhome, you can't do that. I wish my wife and I were as tough as Cowpuc and Tippy. We could just use the Venture and a tent!

After living full time in a motorhome for almost 20 years, i think i can give some advice. If you have never used a motorhome before, RENT one for a couple weeks.If it doesn't feel right for you, try a different style. Are you keeping your stick house? If not, where will you store what you are not taking with you? If you are keeping your house, who will watch it or live in it to keep it up? If you are a typical man you will miss one room the most. Your garage! I pull our jeep behind the power lift for the bike. That puts us about 62 feet long. Will you join a camping organization? Something like Thousand Trails, Naco, SKP's or any number of established groups. Some are better than others. Are you carrying your tools? I finally left the table saw, band saw, and miter saw at my wifes mothers. they can weigh quite a bit when you add all them up. Medical care? We have found some excellent emergency rooms, as well as some Doctors that need a different occupation. Jackson, Wy. has what has to be the best hospital we have found. Mail? You will need a good mail forwarder or a family member you can trust. When you call for your mail make sure the town your'e in only has 1 post office. Some post offices require you to file a form to collect your mail as general delivery even if you are only there a short time. I hope this helps you, if you have any questions feel free to call me.

We have traveled in MH's before and liked it.

To start off, for the first few years we will keep the house too. The plan would be to spend the cold months split between North Carolina & Florida. Eventually selling the house and all. I am investigating the purchase of a lot in NC & FL .

I have been eyeing a few Mid 50's Flxible's that have been converted/ restored, also a few MCI's . Camp clubs may be an option in the future.

There are many options to consider when wanting to "snowbird". We considered motorhomes and toy haulers and ended up with a 36' travel trailer with 3 slides. Our intent was to have a place to winter and not travel with the rig. We started with used 28' trailer as a test the first winter. We then bought a lot in a condo park in Florida and then upgraded last year to our current trailer. Lot and trailer combined I probably have less money invested than what most motorhomes would cost. Based on our friends comments and experiences here are a few options to consider.

In addition to the MH you could have a toy hauler. May not be finished as nice inside. One friend has a very nice 5th wheel that he leaves stored in Florida when he goes home. He tows his motorcycle and golf cart down with a van and has a service place his trailer on and off the lot. One friend had a really nice 40ft diesel pusher MH and moved from it to a really nice 5th wheel trailer and diesel truck to pull it. He said it was much cheaper and easier to maintain and he didn't have to tow a car along with him. The lot behind us has a really nice 38' diesel pusher which is a very nice coach. However, our 36' trailer is much more comfortable to live in for extended periods. If you're going to stay in one place once you arrive at your destination, do you really need all of the battery inverter and generator systems on the MH? Much more to maintain when you will likely always be plugged into a power pedestal. In our case we don't use the trailer to travel. It's just a winter home and we leave it in storage in Florida when we go home. The only downside to a travel trailer over the other options is outside storage. MH and 5th wheels both have much more storage in the basements.

5er's have their benefits, just not sure it's for us. My sister & BIL have a very nice 5er that would be easy to fulltime in.

Jay, for what a motorhome costs plus what it costs to operate, get yourself a nice trailer to tow the trike and bike, and hook it up to the GS. The money you save will buy lots and lots of hotel rooms...

Bob, you think a motorhome gets poor mpg :confused24: I'd need a tanker truck following me if I were to pull a trailer with the GS. Down hill in Neutral it gets 10 mpg :big-grin-emoticon: