IGNORED

1990 venture royale new owner with the first of many questions!

Dave82

Hi all,

I have just agreed to buy a 1990 venture royale so thought I would join the forum.

I have done all the usual reading so don't think I will be in for any huge surprises but one thing I haven't been able to find much info on is expected mpg. What I have seen varies from 30 mpg up to 50 ( sounds a bit hopeful?). I am going to be covering 22,000 a year just going to work and back, I live in Vegas but work out in the desert. I also hope to do some touring so looking to see what I have let myself in for!

It will be a while till I can ride the bike as I am recovering from a desert racing crash so I thought I would see what figures other people are getting for the time being.

Thanks for for any info people have.....

Dave

Hi Dave, pleasure meeting you and welcome to VR!!

Like Kev mentioned,, the throttle on these 1st Gens pretty much work like a potentiometer connected to a MPG device.. The more open ya twist er,, the faster the fuel disappears..

We have a number of guys around here that have perfected maximizing MPG on identical bikes to yours.. Hang around while your healing up (best wishes on that) and they will school you.. I have fired few shots on the earlier model of the 1st Gens (MK1 83/84 1200cc,, yours is a MK2 1300cc) and have seen 40 to 44 MPG on pretty regular basis with all of them.. Of course,, maintaining this economy is indicative to keeping the bike in tune (they really like regular carb syncing - simple to do),, as well as proper tire inflation and brake maintenance (keep those pads from dragging).. Many years of ownership, and wearing out a number of these great bikes out has taught me another thing,, the carb diaphrams dont last forever.. I usually check all mine in the spring before heading out into your neck of woods (LOVE THE DESERT) and its not uncommon to have a couple new pin holes to repair.. Lots of folks on here with TONS of info surrounding the care of and replacement of the diaphrams too..

Basically my friend - it sounds like YOU landed yourself one fine bike that with a little care will treat you with some VERY reliable, good MPG desert riding!! Also,, if you dont mind dipping down into the low 30's for MPG - you really can make that desert region seem a lot smaller:thumbsup:

By the way,, regards for your love for the dirt!! I come from a Dirtbike, MXin, Harescramblin background here in Michigan.. Having cut my teeth on 68/69 Dt's in the 60's, than on to Elsinores back in the 70's, I ended up spending many many hours later in life on my KX500 baja buster in Destry Abbott mode - pretty familiar with the crash rashes you mention.. Hope your wounds heal fully and quickly so you get back out there and play!!!

BRAAAAaaaaapp

Puc

Edited by cowpuc

Hi all,

I have just agreed to buy a 1990 venture royale so thought I would join the forum.

I have done all the usual reading so don't think I will be in for any huge surprises but one thing I haven't been able to find much info on is expected mpg. What I have seen varies from 30 mpg up to 50 ( sounds a bit hopeful?). I am going to be covering 22,000 a year just going to work and back, I live in Vegas but work out in the desert. I also hope to do some touring so looking to see what I have let myself in for!

It will be a while till I can ride the bike as I am recovering from a desert racing crash so I thought I would see what figures other people are getting for the time being.

Thanks for for any info people have.....

Dave

My 1990 Royale delivered 42 mpg pretty consistently while two up and loaded on several 'flower sniffing' long trips. A trip to Florida averaged 41 mpg, but I was riding with four crazy brothers who liked to run 75-80 mph on the Interstate.

Thanks very much for all the replies guys.

Puc - the carbs have just been rebuilt and balanced and she is on new rubber so that should be a good start. I will pull the calipers apart and give them a good going over once I am a bit more mobile.

I have only been in vegas 18 months ( came over from the Uk ) and have already found that the heat and rubber don't mix! List so far is 2 carb diaphragms, and a rubber speedo drive amongst other bits so I will follow your advice and pull the carbs apart quite early on as the bike has lived in the desert for at least 5 years.

Sounds like michigan has has some good dirt to offer. It's pretty good here but I do miss mud (never thought I would say that) and riding in the forests! Anyway, bit off topic as I don't think I fancy taking the venture royale into the forest or desert dirt!

Thanks again for the info.