IGNORED

Senior Pass for national parks.

Venturous Randy

Recently picked up a Senior Pass for parks and stuff and was wondering if others on here have one and how much they have used it. I know that it is generally for federal parks, but do some state parks honor it? What has been your experiences with it?

Sitting here at about 15 degrees, I have to think about warmer weather or I will go crazy...er. :doh:

RandyA

Hi Rand

I have been buying yearly passes for the National Parks for years and LOVE the parks,,, when comes to touring I have always lived by the "dont leave home without it rule" when it came to the NP pass.. Sadly, they dont work in State Parks,, they do work for National Monuments and some Museums though..

I have one and it saved me $80 last spring when my wife and I went out west and visited 4 National Parks. They were charging $20 for two people in a car and we got in free. It also saved me a few bucks when we went to Dry Tortugas a couple years ago. They are still just charging $10 for it.

I used mine last summer and it is accepted in state parks here in NY, but you must check each park as some do and some do not honor it. Not sure why. Also used it in PA. I generally saved 50% off the going rate and a couple of places only charged me $5.00 but no water or elec, for a tent site.

Jim

Just picked up my pass last week. Having watched my riding buddies save big, for several years. When riding with them a few National Parks would also let me in free or honored the discounts as we were together. Other times I paid big. None of New Mexico's state faculities or parks will honor the National Park pass. At 65 the state has a senior pass if a resident. Don't really like getting old to get discounts when I've been paying taxes for 45 years to support the great Parks. But I do feel better I've made it to the point I can. Now, I'm on to search the internet and see what other senior discounts the government has that I've finally earned and can use.

According to the Utah DNR the Federal Golden Age Pass does not cover any of the fees for Utah state parks. I have had my Golden Age pass since 2008. I have used it extensively in the federal system but have never found a state park system that would accept it. If you are going to make use of the extensive state park system in Utah an annual senior pass is $35

I love the variety of experiences we have all had with this kind of stuff and these campfire discussions.. Just to add some more flavor to our Hobo Stew here,,,,, Tip and I were traveling with a Tech Sargent last year (I wont tell em your name Coff cause I dont wanna be a troublemaker) and we went over and played around Mt St. Helens NP.. I thought I over heard something mentioned about Military folks getting into the National Parks for free or something along that line. I wonder if Randy could have gotten a free pass being a Vet.

I would give all Vets free passes if I were running a booth!!! And price breaks for VR members,,,,, except for Harley Riders....:crackup::crackup::crackup:

I love the variety of experiences we have all had with this kind of stuff and these campfire discussions.. Just to add some more flavor to our Hobo Stew here,,,,, Tip and I were traveling with a Tech Sargent last year (I wont tell em your name Coff cause I dont wanna be a troublemaker) and we went over and played around Mt St. Helens NP.. I thought I over heard something mentioned about Military folks getting into the National Parks for free or something along that line. I wonder if Randy could have gotten a free pass being a Vet.

I would give all Vets free passes if I were running a booth!!! And price breaks for VR members,,,,, except for Harley Riders....:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Did you say charge the Hardley RIDERS DOUBLE SINCE THEY LIKE THROWING MONEY AWAY??:innocent-emoticon::Avatars_Gee_George:

Edited by Yammer Dan

Did you say charge the Hardley RIDERS DOUBLE SINCE THEY LIKE THROWING MONEY AWAY??:innocent-emoticon::Avatars_Gee_George:

Triple if they ride a Harley and pull into my booth in front of a bunch of Yam's cause if that happened I would KNOW that they cut the line!!!!

You and I,, we be one of those slippery slope thingies bro!!