IGNORED

Shift Shaft Seal

So I read the instruction on replacing the Shift Shaft Seal in the library; I also read the post on it in the forum from last April. In the Library it talks about major work, in the post it talks about pulling the seal with a hook and driving in the new one with a block of wood (or other tools would work as well) without removing the shaft. Anyone got experience or advice to offer?

Gary;

I have 2 Venture Royales an '84 and a '85. Thanks all the same Gary but I have a new seal, P/N (new) 93102-12321, for the 1200CC engine. Any wisdom removing/installing you'd care to impart would be most appreciated!

Edited by dna9656

Are you sure it is shift shaft? The gear indicator plate which is just ahead of shift shaft has been known to be a frequent leaker.

That seal can be removed with motor assembled. I have not done it but others have. Backup plan would be to remove clutch side cover, pull clutch basket out, then shift shaft could be slid out. This should make it easier to get seal out, just an opinion though.

As a suggestion, you could put in your profile that you have 2 MKI Ventures, that would narrow it done close enough.

Gary

Well I was sure it was until some said it could be something else....I'll fix the profile....A few days ago I wiped down the lower left side of the engine so any oil I would find after would be new and easier the trace to it's origin. I just went out to the bike, I didn't see any oil FWD of the shift shaft though some oil came off on my finger when I wiped the bottom of the shaft so for the $6.and change I got paid for the seal I'll go ahead and change it.

Edited by dna9656

Yeah I noticed a bit of weeping from there too. I should overhaul that slave cylinder soon, any one got a part number for the kit or parts handy?

I'm with Gary on the gear indicator. I also had a slow leak on the clutch slave cylinder in the same area. Clutch fluid down a little after very ride.

26H-W0098-00-00, "push lever seal kit", $18.90 from partzilla. The whole cylinder is 1FK-16381-10-00, "push lever comp.", $69.52. Both fit 83-93 Ventures.

i initially did the seals, but the body was bodged enough I guess it wouldn't completely seal. Just installed the new cylinder.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Doug,

To remove the seal, I'd drill a small hole in the metal case and sink a small sheet metal screw in, then pull with pliers. On larger seals, 2 holes and screws work better. OR, one can just keep turning the screw in and the old seal will ride right out.

To set the seal in the crankcase, give the seal a light coat of black RTV to the sides and slip it over the shift shaft and lightly tap it in place using a dowel and rubber mallet.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA